Pot Legalized

November 5th, 2014 at 11:32:28 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Now that it is legal in Alaska I can hope that more and better research will be done on this miracle plant.

The cops are pissed off because they lost a tool for them to search anyone if they "smelled" weed and had a suspicion, blah, blah.

This has angered me for a long time. The police in their persuit of law enforcement alienated cannabis users and treated them and thought of them as the enemy.

The highly militarized types still do. If they were rational and capable of critical thought they would have considered the weed users as allies in the "war on drugs".

I and anyone I know is perfectly willing to turn in a meth lab or heroin smuggler in the blink of an eye. The weed users of who are legion would have been such a valuable source of info willingly to fight this terrible disease which is a narcotic pandemic.

But the way it is, the way it goes, now that we have been treated as the enemy of the state for so long, at least until some of the wounds heal many are going to more than ever say "f*** "em about assisting the law.

Its also a shame that weed using idiots are jumping up and down in the streets thinking they had some part in some victory they did not earn. Again like any other right somebody suffered greatly so we could receive our God given rights to have our "Bill of rights". Idiots smoking dope in the streets and screwing up and getting their ids and pets accidently high is wrong now as it has always been.

At least some of the " good " users won't have to fear imprisonment so much for this anyway. If the law can either take your life without prosecution or incarcerate you for trying to take you own life, they own you. They own you as sure as you own your car. Maybe now more "folks" can look more happily toward their servitude?

Maybe more of the truth will be exposed.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 6th, 2014 at 7:35:14 PM permalink
petroglyph
Now that cannabis is more legal in Ore, and Ak, etc, it would be great if now the users can quit their nefarious activity's trying not to get caught and make another difference by helping to stamp out narcotics like heroin. A lot of users have carnal knowledge about the "bad drugs" out in our streets, the dea and the other 3 letter agency's could pick up some CI's on the cheap now, now that they can quit thinking of weed users as felons. win win

http://youtu.be/iUKepnfbOQY This is from May 1st and only a minute and change long.

It strikes me suspiciously that the photo of "shock and awe" in Bagdad will be forever emblazoned in our minds but I don't recall any napalm or Paraquat being sprayed on Afghan poppy fields.

Our current CIC has bombed 7 countries while in office but can't lay waste to some crops maintained by a few farmers. The problem we have with this destroyer of worlds [opium] is our government and its subjects aren't pulling in the same direction.

Its well past time to try different tactics.
November 10th, 2014 at 2:46:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
The more I read about the positive uses for cannabis the more I believe this plant is the single most important plant on earth.

Volumes of interesting documented facts about marijuana.

http://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

The number two plant is up for grabs? Maybe coconut?

The feds filed for a patent on cannabis in 2003 for its medical properties.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/11/feds-patented-medical-marijuana-even-when-they-were-fighting-it/
November 11th, 2014 at 12:03:31 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"Researchers noted that the IQ of the marijuana-using group was significantly lower than that of the non-using group"

LOL, of that I've never had any doubt.

Regular pot users also have shrunken brains.
That explains a LOT. That's why they call
it dope..

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-regular-marijuana-shrinks-brain-20141110-story.html
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 11th, 2014 at 6:36:53 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Evenbob
"Researchers noted that the IQ of the marijuana-using group was significantly lower than that of the non-using group"

Interesting. One of my favorite activities while under the influence is playing my favorite complicated games, Civilazation 5 Brave New World.
Just a blast to play while under the influence.
A ton of complicated decisions to make. Love it.
Was playing over the weekend, economy was totally rocking due to neglection the military. Was crushing,
Then 3 countries ganged up and did a surprise attack. I'm like WTF. I've been attacked before but not from 3 sides. wow.
Got to put the economy on hold and gear up the military. A lot more complicated decisions. Love it. All under the influence.
War over now, I kicked butt holding off 2 countries and concentrating attacks on 1 country. Brilliant strategy while under the influence.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 11th, 2014 at 3:04:56 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: reno
I'm a bit surprised that our friend Sheldon Adelson (chief of Las Vegas' Venetian & Palazzo) is providing almost all of the funding to prevent medical pot from being legalized in Florida. He's donated $5 million of the $5.8 million raised by the drug warriors.

Why am I so surprised? Because Mr. Adelson has also funded research showing that pot helps patients with multiple sclerosis!

Weird.

This has probably something to do with it?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-fidelman/medical-marijuana-is-goin_b_6124550.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592
"a new breed of biopharmaceutical companies are seeking Federal approval to deliver the medical benefits of cannabis without having to smoke or ingest the plant the plant. GW Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: GWPH"

Adelson is "I believe" a big stakeholder in GWPH

Expected to be a 35 billion dollar per year business, even 10% of that ain't bad
November 11th, 2014 at 5:16:38 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: Evenbob

LOL, of that I've never had any doubt.

Regular pot users also have shrunken brains.
That explains a LOT. That's why they call
it dope..

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-regular-marijuana-shrinks-brain-20141110-story.html

"On average, the marijuana users who participated in the study consumed the drug three times per day."

Three times per day? Ok, heavy use is bad for your brain.

I'm curious if they could duplicate the findings with users who smoke once or twice a week.
November 11th, 2014 at 5:49:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Yes, those who did it twice a day were
brainiac's.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 11th, 2014 at 6:01:37 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
"On average, the marijuana users who participated in the study consumed the drug three times per day."

Not sure why we need a study. Anything that causes chemical changes in the brain cannot be good. Simple life experience shows that when you change anything it just never gets exactly to where it was before. Heat something with a torch then let it cool, notice it will not be quite the same. Same thing with one's brain. Bake it with dope and even after the effect ends, well some small thing will have been degraded.

Now this may have been very, very small in effect, but the net is cumulative.
The President is a fink.
November 11th, 2014 at 7:42:57 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
Anything that causes chemical changes in the brain cannot be good.

Totally agree. Sugar is associated with worse memory, as well as a smaller hippocampus and compromised hippocampal structure.

From the first bite sugar sends a message to the brain, activating the its reward system. This reward system is a series of electrical and chemical path systems across several different regions of the brain, Dr. Nicole Avena, a researcher in the department of psychiatry at the University Of Florida College Of Medicine explained.

The main chemical involved in this biological reward system is dopamine. In people who experience dependency on drugs, nicotine, and alcohol, the dopamine receptors are sent into overdrive causing the individual to be constantly seek that “high” effect. The end result is addiction. Sugar causes a similar reaction in the brain.

Fructose consumption negatively changes the way your brain recognizes your consumption. This is because your brain resists leptin, the protein that's vital for regulating energy intake and expenditure (which includes your keeping your appetite in check and your metabolism working efficiently). As a result, you keep eating without necessarily realizing you're full. For example, a soda containing high amounts of fructose (which is most non-diet sodas) will do little to make you think you're full even though you're taking in large amounts of calories. Your brain doesn't get the message that you really consumed much of anything and so it still thinks you're still hungry.

A diet high in added sugar reduces the production of a brain chemical known as brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). Without BDNF, our brains can’t form new memories and we can’t learn (or remember) much of anything. Levels of BDNF are particularly low in people with an impaired glucose metabolism–diabetics and pre-diabetics–and as the amount of BDNF decreases, sugar metabolism worsens.

In other words, chronically eating added sugar reduces BDNF, and then the lowered levels of the brain chemical begin contributing to insulin resistance, which leads to type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome, which eventually leads to a host of other health problems. Once that happens, your brain and body are in a destructive cycle that’s difficult if not impossible to reverse.

Chronic consumption of added sugar dulls the brain’s mechanism for telling you to stop eating. It does so by reducing activity in the brain’s anorexigenic oxytocin system, which is responsible for throwing up the red “full” flag that prevents you from gorging. When oxytocin cells in the brain are blunted by over-consumption of sugar, the flag doesn’t work correctly and you start asking for seconds and thirds, and seeking out snacks at midnight.

What these and other studies strongly suggest is that most of us are seriously damaging ourselves with processed foods high in added sugar, and the damage begins with our brains. Seen in this light, chronic added-sugar consumption is no less a problem than smoking or alcoholism.