Pot Legalized

August 30th, 2014 at 3:29:35 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: scotty71
I don't have time to read all of your posts
Funny, you have time to write a novel whenever you reply to me, so surely you have time to read my posts. lol

..most that I have seen though seem to be quite slanted and lacking in objective thought.
Translation: "I didn't make any effort to read and understand what you said, so I'll just make personal attacks instead." *eyeroll*

if you feel that they should be grouped as one you are just as bad as those you might despise IMO
When did I ever say they should be "grouped as one"?

Seriously, where do you people come up with this stuff???? Do you just pull it out of you-know-where? lol

...you made a comment that "pot" smokers were anti gun and that is a naive 'group think' argument.
Again, where do you come up with this stuff???? When did I ever say that pot smokers were automatically anti-gun? You been taking a few puffs yourself? lol...

In a society where we've wasted BILLIONS of $$ on a war on drugs with little if anything to show for it except larger prisons- we have an opportunity to hit large drug organizations where it hurts, and that should not be discounted.
Well, since there is zero evidence of that occurring (except in your own head), of course it can.

I really don't care if the other drugs mentioned were legalized and controlled adequately...the other substances are both physically and mentally addictive and can lead to much costlier burdens on society as well as overdose/death.
Nice attempt at shifting the subject. You just had your very own argument applied in favor of other drugs.....yet you're not willing to accept it? Kinda proves that it's a weak argument to begin with, huh?

As far as WA and CO go I would say a few things.
1. There hasn't been enough time to get evidence either way.... so I may have spoken out of turn a little early
Of course you did. Thank you very much.

2. The people of those states voted that way and it does not impose on any other citizens rights.
That's a great example of "begging the question".

You're arguing that marijuana should be legal because "the people of those states voted that way"??? *facepalm*

3. The only evidence I have seen you put together in regards to pot... I haven't read all your post mind you but they were an :
a. An article about the increase in homeless people which was possibly the dumbest thing I've read I avoided reading
Fixed

That quote is possibly the "dumbest thing I've read" because you obviously failed to grasp the underlying point. I didn't use that article as an argument against pot. I know this may be difficult for you to grasp, but the reason I posted that link was to show that stupid liberals pass stupid laws that only create more problems for themselves (which the article proves).

b. The article about the kid who jumped of fell to his death is indeed an unfortunate occurrence but may or may not have had anything to do with weed...who knows but its a weak argument against legalization
I'm not surprised you would think that because, once more, you failed to grasp the entire point of linking to that article. Just like above, I posted that link to show that stupid liberals pass stupid laws that only create more problems for themselves.

At the end of the day legal pot for recreational use is not a passion of mine
You sure about that?

You've written 3 novels...er, I mean, posts..........which is more than (I believe) any other member here has written on the subject. I'd say you're pretty darn passionate.
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
August 30th, 2014 at 3:40:32 PM permalink
Beethoven
I do, thats why I make a lot of cash relative to most I find, pay a lot of taxes and hate to see my money squandered
You do.....what? Read minds?? *facepalm*

Quote: scotty
Where do you work that you would worry about working with potheads all day?
I don't have to worry at all because pot's not legal here. Duh.

Any employer can screen for any substance abuse if they'd like.
Well now you're arguing against yourself. First you stated that you want marijuana legal so that it will be easier for potheads to get jobs. Now you're saying that you don't care if employers continue to screen out potheads. Make up your mind, please.

No myth there I said it was a half of one percent of Prisoners
All this concern over 0.05% of prisoners???????????? *facepalm*

Its not about tax dollars
...yet in your last post, you said it was!?!?!

I dont follow any party line, I think for myself
You may not follow the "party" line, but you sure do follow the classic "liberal" line, that's for certain.
August 30th, 2014 at 4:01:20 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: TheCesspit
I'm not sure making something legal so the government can tax it is a good argument to any small government conservative. I'm not sure it's a good argument to a Liberal either. Might be to a Democrat, though.

Generally speaking, I agree. The specific case of pot, though, is different, to me, anyway. It's widespread and not stopping any time soon, and it's smoked by a hell of a lot of people who have no money to defend themselves when they get popped for it, which means the taxpayer pays for their defense, as well as their incarceration if guilty. We now have the highest prison population per capita of any major nation, and a lot of that is due to non-violent pot smokers under mandatory sentencing. (don't have numbers, sorry). We are spending beaucoup bux on both the War on Drugs, much of which is pot interception and confiscation, and the cost of having all those prisoners. If we stopped enforcement, confiscation, and prosecution on pot, legalized and regulated the quality, and taxed the sales instead, it would be a triple financial win; we wouldn't be spending all that public money against it, and it would be a revenue enhancer, perhaps directly funding the War on Drugs that actually cause serious problems, like meth, coke, and heroin and opiates. Businesses that don't want pot smokers could still have their drug policies; that's a separate issue, like alcohol consumption before piloting or whatever. So I just don't see how an economic argument doesn't fall clearly on the side of legalization.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
August 30th, 2014 at 4:04:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
More legal pot should free up police resources to focus on real crime... or maybe allow them to lay off the ones who just want to get their gun off

Nope. In CO and WA even more people are growing
pot illegally and competing with legal pot. The stuff
they grow is as good as the legal stuff and a lot cheaper.
Big black market thing going on now.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 30th, 2014 at 5:56:36 PM permalink
scotty71
Threads: 1
Quote: Beethoven
You do.....what? Read minds?? *facepalm*

I manage private investment pools for wealthy people. I read the mind of the herd and make my clients a lot of money. My personal tax liabilities all in run me about 100k a year. Not inclusive of the employment taxes and salary I pay staff. Sure I'd like to pay less taxes but more importantly I'd rather see it spent more wisely.

Well now you're arguing against yourself. First you stated that you want marijuana legal so that it will be easier for potheads to get jobs. Now you're saying that you don't care if employers continue to screen out potheads. Make up your mind, please.

No my point was a person who might have gotten arrested for pot for legit (medical) purposes or otherwise would have a legal strike against them and employment could harder to come by.

All this concern over 0.05% of prisoners???????????? *facepalm*

Lets do some math BLS estimates there are 1.5MM people in prison, if .5% not .05% are there for possession issues (not trafficking) that would be appx 75,000 people. At a cost of 28,000 a year on avg you see a cost of 5.7MM a day for housing MJ possession detainees. Thats 200MM of tax dollars that could be spent n better ways, not including court, admin and the societal costs of being put in prison to begin with.

..yet in your last post, you said it was!?!?!

No, read it again I said it is a part of the cash economy that is costing us money unnecessarily and if it was legalized could be captured in places other than sales tax as it is spent in the underground economy.

You may not follow the "party" line, but you sure do follow the classic "liberal" line, that's for certain.

I'm comfortable agreeing with liberals on some issues (gasp)
August 30th, 2014 at 6:21:40 PM permalink
Beethoven
I read the mind of the herd
OK Kreskin....lol

No my point was a person who might have gotten arrested for pot for legit (medical) purposes or otherwise would have a legal strike against them and employment could harder to come by.
Cool...so we'll send all the potheads your way so you can employ them. lol

Lets do some math BLS estimates there are 1.5MM people in prison, if .5% not .05% are there for possession issues (not trafficking) that would be appx 75,000 people. At a cost of 28,000 a year on avg you see a cost of 5.7MM a day for housing MJ possession detainees. Thats 200MM of tax dollars that could be spent n better ways, not including court, admin and the societal costs of being put in prison to begin with.
You liberals are great at doing things on paper, yet they never work out in real life. As I said twice already, NONE of what you just claimed has occurred in WA or CO.

No, read it again I said it is a part of the cash economy that is costing us money unnecessarily and if it was legalized could be captured in places other than sales tax as it is spent in the underground economy.
So it IS about tax dollars then? Make up your mind.

I'm comfortable agreeing with liberals on some issues (gasp)
Anyone reading your posts knew that already.
August 30th, 2014 at 7:22:56 PM permalink
scotty71
Threads: 1
Funny, you have time to write a novel whenever you reply to me, so surely you have time to read my posts. lol

I've recently come back to the WOV sites after a bit of an absence and the ones that I have read label people as smart or dumb given whether you agree with them. I read more and feel dumber for it, you dont support arguments or counter arguments with evidence.

Quote: beethoven
..most that I have seen though seem to be quite slanted and lacking in objective thought

I'll stand by that. You seem to think reversing arguments to ridiculous extremes is making a point. I've read enough of your posts to see that.

When did I ever say they should be "grouped as one"? Seriously, where do you people come up with this stuff???? Do you just pull it out of you-know-where? lol

http://diversitytomorrow.com/quote/17786/

Again, where do you come up with this stuff???? When did I ever say that pot smokers were automatically anti-gun? You been taking a few puffs yourself? lol...

http://diversitytomorrow.com/quote/17668/

Well, since there is zero evidence of that occurring (except in your own head), of course it can.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/05/13/ap-impact-years-trillion-war-drugs-failed-meet-goals/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_incarceration_rate

Nice attempt at shifting the subject. You just had your very own argument applied in favor of other drugs.....yet you're not willing to accept it? Kinda proves that it's a weak argument to begin with, huh?

No I accept that if those drugs were legal the cartels would be out of business except for their illegal mining, human trafficking and extortion businesses that were funded originally by the drug trade.

Of course you did. Thank you very much.

Dont say thank you, I said there isn't enough evidence yet to call the game.

stupid liberals pass stupid laws that only create more problems for themselves

You assume only liberals support the legalization cause and you have to resort to calling people stupid and the laws the stupid

You sure about that? You've written 3 novels...er, I mean, posts..........which is more than (I believe) any other member here has written on the subject. I'd say you're pretty darn passionate.
sorry. evidence cant be presented in a soundbite.
I'm sure that I am more passionate about the the fact that the war on drugs has failed and this is the first step in reversing a course that will ultimately divert resources to more useful proposes for society as a whole.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/06/AR2009100603847.html

From the NYT:the Justice Department, that Colombian and Mexican cartels reap $18 billion to $39 billion from drug sales in the United States each year. (That range alone should give you pause.) Still, even if you take the lowest available numbers, Sinaloa emerges as a titanic player in the global black market. In the sober reckoning of the RAND Corporation, for instance, the gross revenue that all Mexican cartels derive from exporting drugs to the United States amounts to only $6.6 billion. By most estimates, though, Sinaloa has achieved a market share of at least 40 percent and perhaps as much as 60 percent, which means that Chapo Guzmán’s organization would appear to enjoy annual revenues of some $3 billion — comparable in terms of earnings to Netflix or, for that matter, to Facebook.

The drug war in Mexico has claimed more than 50,000 lives since 2006. But what tends to get lost amid coverage of this epic bloodletting is just how effective the drug business has become. A close study of the Sinaloa cartel, based on thousands of pages of trial records and dozens of interviews with convicted drug traffickers and current and former officials in Mexico and the United States, reveals an operation that is global (it is active in more than a dozen countries) yet also very nimble and, above all, staggeringly complex. Sinaloa didn’t merely survive the recession — it has thrived in recent years. And after prevailing in some recent mass-casualty clashes, it now controls more territory along the border than ever.

FYI: the northern border is our souther border;(
August 30th, 2014 at 7:52:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: beachbumbabs
We now have the highest prison population per capita of any major nation, and a lot of that is due to non-violent pot smokers under mandatory sentencing. (don't have numbers, sorry).

Even without numbers, what do you consider "a lot?" I find it hard to believe many people go to the can for just smoking the stuff.
The President is a fink.
August 30th, 2014 at 8:07:12 PM permalink
Beethoven
I've recently come back to the WOV sites after a bit of an absence and the ones that I have read label people as smart or dumb given whether you agree with them.
Huh?? Apparently there's a reading comprehension issue here.

When did I ever say that anyone here was "dumb" because they don't agree with me?

I'll stand by that. You seem to think reversing arguments to ridiculous extremes is making a point.
It IS making a point. It's not my fault that you can't see the obvious.

http://diversitytomorrow.com/quote/17786
Um...do you even know what you're quoting here? lol...

I repeat, where did I ever say "liberals and conservative are grouped as one"?

(Hint: You'll never find such a quote)

http://diversitytomorrow.com/quote/17668
Again, it looks like that "reading comprehension" thing is coming back into play. Do you even read things that you quote????

I said: "...pot supporters (many of whom support gun control)..."

Seriously, do you know what the word "many" means? I never said ALL pot smokers support gun control (which is what you had claimed). *facepalm*

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/05/13/ap-impact-years-trillion-war-drugs-failed-meet-goals
...and your point is????

BTW, just so you know, you're actually arguing against yourself now. If the War on Drugs has failed so miserably (as you have claimed), then how come you don't support the legalization of meth, cocaine, etc.??

(You're like most liberals who just want to arbitrarily pick and choose whatever suits your fancy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_incarceration_rate
Again, what does this prove?? By your logic, if we legalize everything, our incarceration rate could be ZERO. lol...

No I accept that if those drugs were legal the cartels would be out of business...
Once more, please make up your mind.

Do you want to legalize meth, cocaine, etc. or not?? Because doing so would really put the cartels out of business!

(But again, you don't seem to like your OWN argument when it's applied to other drugs. *facepalm*)

Dont say thank you, I said there isn't enough evidence yet to call the game.
You also said this: "I may have spoken out of turn a little early"

Once again, thank you very much. ;)

You assume only liberals support the legalization cause and you have to resort to calling people stupid and the laws the stupid
Um...liberals OVERWHELMINGLY support the legalization of marijuana. Even Stevie Wonder can see that. *facepalm*

And yes, people who pass a law and then complain about its effects are stupid people.

sorry. evidence cant be presented in a soundbite.
I didn't say that it could. All I said was that you're pretty darn passionate about this issue (even though you claim not to be), and your latest post proves it even further.

I'm sure that I am more passionate about the the fact that the war on drugs has failed and this is the first step in reversing a course that will ultimately divert resources to more useful proposes for society as a whole.
I'll try a 4th time: How come none of this has happened in WA or CO?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/06/AR2009100603847.html
I don't know what a 5-year-old article is supposed to prove, but in any case, you didn't read the whole thing:

"Mexican traffickers are changing their business model to improve their product and streamline delivery..."

Anyone who thinks that the Mexican cartels are just going to pack it up and leave is an incredibly naive person.

From the NYT:the Justice Department, that Colombian and Mexican cartels reap $18 billion to $39 billion from drug sales in the United States each year. (That range alone should give you pause.) Still, even if you take the lowest available numbers, Sinaloa emerges as a titanic player in the global black market. In the sober reckoning of the RAND Corporation, for instance, the gross revenue that all Mexican cartels derive from exporting drugs to the United States amounts to only $6.6 billion. By most estimates, though, Sinaloa has achieved a market share of at least 40 percent and perhaps as much as 60 percent, which means that Chapo Guzmán’s organization would appear to enjoy annual revenues of some $3 billion — comparable in terms of earnings to Netflix or, for that matter, to Facebook.

The drug war in Mexico has claimed more than 50,000 lives since 2006. But what tends to get lost amid coverage of this epic bloodletting is just how effective the drug business has become. A close study of the Sinaloa cartel, based on thousands of pages of trial records and dozens of interviews with convicted drug traffickers and current and former officials in Mexico and the United States, reveals an operation that is global (it is active in more than a dozen countries) yet also very nimble and, above all, staggeringly complex. Sinaloa didn’t merely survive the recession — it has thrived in recent years. And after prevailing in some recent mass-casualty clashes, it now controls more territory along the border than ever.

FYI: the northern border is our souther border;(
LOL...you're arguing against yourself again. :D

The above quote provides even more evidence why we should legalize ALL drugs in order to get rid of the cartels for good! lol
August 30th, 2014 at 8:33:06 PM permalink
zippyboy
Threads: 2
Boy this thread is getting members involved, or a few members anyway. Passionate indeed on both sides.

Quote: Evenbob
Nope. In CO and WA even more people are growing
pot illegally and competing with legal pot. The stuff
they grow is as good as the legal stuff and a lot cheaper.
Big black market thing going on now.

I live in WA, and I smoke weed at night when I have nowhere to go, and nothing to do. It helps me sleep. Bob's statement is true. WA tacks on a 33% tax which goes into the state's coffers, which the scofflaws don't pay, but their weed is just as good. They just don't have the fancy packaging or laboratory THC testing percentage results. When I've been in line at the pot store, it's a lot of out-of-state tourists and squares who can't find it elseways. People who still say "lid". lol

I can post more photos of my purchases if anyone's interested. And if Beethoven won't mock me for doing so. He seems to be the modern day Carrie Nation against cannabis.