Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
You're playing a game that will get you banned
if you keep it up. Most Wiki pages have minders
that get an email when a change is made. I know
somebody who was expelled because he kept
changing a reality TV page.

A bit off topic, but at my kid's school they are specifically forbidden from using Wikipedia as a source, because it is considered to be unreliable and full of errors.

I'll take your advice and not change it a third time.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 3rd, 2014 at 7:52:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
A bit off topic, but at my kid's school they are specifically forbidden from using Wikipedia as a source, because it is considered to be unreliable and full of errors.

I've heard that baloney. Want to know what's full
of errors? The Encyclopedia Britannica. Wiki is
self correcting, The EB is 'written in stone' articles
often containing many factual errors. Sure there
are errors on Wiki, especially on pages about rap stars
and other celebrities, but I'll take it's content
over any other encyclopedia out there.

Schools don't like Wiki because it's mostly unbiased
and doesn't fit the screwed up version of the
world that school's are pushing now. An example
would be Martin Luther King. The schools paint
King as doing no wrong, he was almost a saint.
On Wiki, they give us the real King, who was a
great man, and also a serial adulterer. He was
a womanizer in the extreme. Schools don't want
anyone to know that, so Wiki must be outlawed. It's
why I detest censorship so much.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 3rd, 2014 at 8:47:00 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Department of Transportation document for time zone change for West Wendover, NV here.

So DOT owns Time Zones. Jackpot, NV observes Mountain time, but it is not regulated. There is no document in the DOT website that recognizes Jackpot, NV in Mountain time. The Elko County website recognizes that Jackpot county offices are in Mountain Time.

Therefore, you are right. Jackpot should be in the Pacific Time Zone, but it observes Mountain time.
July 3rd, 2014 at 8:48:18 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Evenbob
I've heard that baloney. Want to know what's full
of errors? The Encyclopedia Britannica. Wiki is
self correcting, The EB is 'written in stone' articles
often containing many factual errors. Sure there
are errors on Wiki, especially on pages about rap stars
and other celebrities, but I'll take it's content
over any other encyclopedia out there.

Schools don't like Wiki because it's mostly unbiased
and doesn't fit the screwed up version of the
world that school's are pushing now. An example
would be Martin Luther King. The schools paint
King as doing no wrong, he was almost a saint.
On Wiki, they give us the real King, who was a
great man, and also a serial adulterer. He was
a womanizer in the extreme. Schools don't want
anyone to know that, so Wiki must be outlawed. It's
why I detest censorship so much.

My daughter screws with Wiki all of the time. She was the princess of some country for a few days. I told her not to do it from my house -- I don't want to be blocked from Wiki.
July 3rd, 2014 at 9:13:04 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Regarding Wikipedia, my change to the Mountain Time Zone entry yesterday still stands, but somebody changed my entry for Jackpot back how it used to be. So, I changed it back again. For my own benefit, here is entry in Wikicode:

It looks like you made a change without signing up to Wikipedia. Wikipedia defaults to your IP address 70.173.240.244. As a matter of course some editors reverse any change made using an IP address.

User Famartin is not me. If I make a change to Wikipedia I use Pacomartin.

For those of you unfamiliar with the town it is 1 mile from the Idaho border on what is probably the only paved road connecting Idaho and Nevada. Mountain time is used in Nevada, and it is 67 miles from Jackpot to nearest town in Nevada, Wells. Nearly all the visitors are from Idaho, and in fact the town was created in the 1950's to cater to them.
July 4th, 2014 at 4:09:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I don't know what is wrong with me. I have a ton of work to catch up on and am in a state of financial distress and this is my highest priority.

I have an idea exactly what is wrong with you. I suspect it is the same thing I have and I wager almost half the regulars here have. It is why we can solve most problems but can also beat the most minute detail of an issue to death.

I have heard this some time ago, casual reading ot Wilipedia shows over the last few years that the writing is far better and the footnotes far more. Schools don't like it because just anyone can go in and write something, and though it may be correct it might not be backed up.

For example, if the topic was "Oil and Gas Landman" I can make the following statement:

"When searching the oil and gas rights of a piece of property, the lamndman will search to 1859. This is because that is the year oil was first discovered and henece the first leases signed, therefore there will be no mineral rights conveyed before this because nobody thought to convey them."

While correct, an academic will ask what my qualification is to make the statement. With no advanced degree, or any degree, in the subject, they will say it is unfit for academic work.

IMHO this is where academics is going to soon fall apart. Too much emphasis on the degree, not enough on practical knowlege.
The President is a fink.
July 4th, 2014 at 9:09:52 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
An academic should ask what reference you have for that statement. Much of wikipedia is about the cross referencing to other, primary source material where possible. As is much academic research. 75% of my thesis work was cross referencing the prior work I had built on, to show that I wasn't just make it up.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
July 4th, 2014 at 1:21:21 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: boymimbo
My daughter screws with Wiki all of the time. .

Stuff like that is usually caught and corrected on
pages that have editors. Like anything else, you
have to verify what you read, that's what cross
referencing is for. I have a successful FB page
that has over 4000 subscribers and I never post
anything that I can't verify, so I end up only posting
25% of what I actually hear.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 4th, 2014 at 4:39:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
Much of wikipedia is about the cross referencing to other, primary source material where possible.

Wikipedia's motto is no original research. As a reference material it is perfunctory and unimaginative. I go there for precisely that reason, as I only want some simple facts. If it is banned as a reference for school papers, it should not be because it is often wrong.

In reality the Wikipedia is a good source of references. If you are writing a school paper, you just need to cite the references, instead of citing Wikipedia.
July 4th, 2014 at 5:56:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin

In reality the Wikipedia is a good source of references. .

I use Wiki mostly for the sources they
site. They've done all the real work
already.
Page 4 of 13<1234567>Last »