1 vote (7.14%)
1 vote (7.14%)
3 votes (21.42%)

14 members have voted

July 3rd, 2014 at 8:04:41 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just called the Jackpot post office (their number is (775) 755-2252) and they said they are on Mountain time. She specifically said the clock on the wall said 9:03 AM, which would reflect Mountain Time.

Regarding the airport, that is pretty much a dirt field, so don't think they have have a clock there.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 3rd, 2014 at 8:07:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I think that if a bar in California decided they were on Hawaiian time, to serve alcohol for two more hours at night, the authorities wouldn't buy it and fine the bar for serving alcohol at 2:01 AM Pacific time.

It would only matter if the time ran afoul of such a law. If the coffeehouse observed HI time it would matter little.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2014 at 8:22:45 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
My edit on the Wikipedia page for Pacific time still stands. I'm now going to change the Wiki page for Jackpot.

Old entry:

Jackpot is in the Pacific Time Zone,[9] but unofficially observes Mountain Time,[10] due to its economic ties with the Magic Valley region of southern Idaho. The only portion of Nevada officially outside of the Pacific Time Zone is West Wendover.

New entry:

Jackpot is in the Mountain Time Zone. The only portions of Nevada outside the Pacific Time Zone are Jackpot and West Wendover.

By the way, the footnote 9 in the old entry was a dead link.

Paco, please don't change them back.
July 3rd, 2014 at 9:52:55 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Pacomartin
Just check the airport times. The airports and post office have to use official time.
https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/airportLookup/airportDisplay.jsp?airportId=06U
Jackpot/ Hayden Field Jackpot UTC-8(-7DT) NEVADA

https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/airportLookup/airportDisplay.jsp?category=nasr&airportId=twf
JOSLIN FIELD - MAGIC VALLEY RGNL UTC-7(-6DT) IDAHO

I meant to look at the Faa links. It clearly puts the Jackpot Airport at Pacific Time, and the Twin Falls Airport 36 miles away at Mountain Time. That's why I wrote the times beneath them.

Jackpot/ Hayden Field Jackpot UTC-8(-7DT) NEVADA
JOSLIN FIELD - MAGIC VALLEY RGNL UTC-7(-6DT) IDAHO

I'm surprised at the post office, but the FAA has to be the highest level of authority.

https://nfdc.faa.gov/nfdcApps/airportLookup/airportDisplay.jsp?category=nasr&airportId=LAS
MC CARRAN INTL UTC-8(-7DT)

Paco, please don't change them back.

Your game. I am just posting the Faa links here only.
July 3rd, 2014 at 10:05:23 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I'm surprised at the post office, but the FAA has to be the highest level of authority.

Why is that? Seems to me that post office is the most frequent point of interaction between the public and government.

It is my understanding that the official time zone borders are governed by Department of Transportation, and they chose to put the "entering Pacific time" sign south of town.

Granted, your FAA link carries some evidence, but I think the evidence for Mountain Time is significantly more. My own interpretation is that the airport may observe Pacific time but is still in the Mountain time zone.
July 3rd, 2014 at 11:06:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Why is that? Seems to me that post office is the most frequent point of interaction between the public and government.

The FAA has to deal with planes traveling not just to the local airport but others as well. When DST was modified in the late 2000s they had to wait a year off (IIRC) instead of doing it right away for the entire air system to adjust. If the USPS is closed it is no big deal compared to potential problems with airplanes.

Trains caused time zones in the first place, now planes cause issues with time.
The President is a fink.
July 3rd, 2014 at 11:57:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Trains caused time zones in the first place, now planes cause issues with time.

Time was a mess in this country before trains
forced the issue. It would be 12:15 PM in one
town and 11:43 AM in the next. Try running
a RR on that.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 3rd, 2014 at 12:01:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Granted, your FAA link carries some evidence, but I think the evidence for Mountain Time is significantly more. My own interpretation is that the airport may observe Pacific time but is still in the Mountain time zone.

Here is some more evidence
http://24timezones.com/usa_time/nv_elko/jackpot.htm

I realize more people go to the post office than a private airfield, but it seems to me that correct time is very critical to the airline operations.
July 3rd, 2014 at 1:12:16 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
So. Pilots and the FAA skip this entire argument, because there's so much inherent confusion otherwise, everywhere and not just in this case. Log books, flight plans, airport guides for operating hours, all are kept in UTC. It's only translated on passenger flight schedules, if any. And there is no commercial service I can find out of Jackpot / Hayden Field. It's a public-use airport, with an asphalt runway large enough for most jets, but no known air taxi/air carrier service. I would guess the community invested in a high-performance runway and lighting so that private pilots can hop in and out, because the median house prices in the area (at a glance) seem quite high, so they may have a wealthy rancher population. Some interesting stats here (this site shows Pacific Time):

http://www.zipdatamaps.com/89825

The FAA publishes an Airport/Facility Guide, which is user-information written, much like Wiki. The local operator/airport authority provides the data upon request, which the FAA may or may not verify or validate, usually depending on whether it's an airport with significant operations. The entry for Jackpot reads:

JACKPOT/HAYDEN FLD (06U) 0 E UTC–7(–6DT) N41º58.55´ W114º39.48´
5224 B FUEL 100LL NOTAM FILE RNO
RWY 15–33: H6183X60 (ASPH) S–12.5 MIRL 0.8% up NW
RWY 15: Bldg.
RWY 33: PAPI(P2L)—GA 3.5º TCH 40´. Hill.
AIRPORT REMARKS: Attended on call at 775–755–6595 or use frequency 122.8. For fuel call 775–755–6595 or use frequency
122.8. Bird hazard east of arpt at ponds. Bcn visibility lgtd from west. ACTIVATE MIRL Rwy 15–33 and PAPI Rwy
(Truncated)

Note the first line, indicating Mountain Time. (UTC-7)

http://aeronav.faa.gov/afd/29MAY2014/sw_277_29MAY2014.pdf

According to this somewhat authoritative but commercial website, for worldtimes, Jackpot is Pacific Time.

http://worldtime.io/current/hayden_field_kpt_1477_keno_dr_jackpot_nv_89825_usa/157374

The USPS does not address the question on their search for the area (zip code 89825) that I can find.

So, my opinion after reading these along with your thread references is that Jackpot is officially in Pacific Time, but that Mountain Time is observed locally by wide convention.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
July 3rd, 2014 at 1:13:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I realize more people go to the post office than a private airfield, but it seems to me that correct time is very critical to the airline operations.

It would be interesting to know if there has ever been a single air crash involving a wrong time zone, or some other error in knowing the actual time.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 13<12345>Last »