1 vote (7.14%)
3 votes (21.42%)

14 members have voted

July 9th, 2014 at 9:09:51 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Famartin wrote some comments to you on my talk board...

He makes some good points there, namely the Commerce Clause and lack of Nevada legislation on the matter. The funny thing is that the two of us pretty much agree on the facts of the case. However, where he sees this as just some hicks thumbing their nose at the feds I see it as the entire state officially observing Jackpot as being on Mountain Time and for good reason. The fact that the Official Nevada Highway Map puts Jackpot in the MTZ is good enough for me to say that makes it the official state position.

My final position on this is that Jackpot is officially in the PTZ per the Federal Government and in the MTZ per the state of Nevada. However, who really cares what the federal government position is, other than Famartin? It is Nevada that sets the clocks and draws the maps for the state. For all practical purposes, Jackpot is in the MTZ.

You're welcome to quote this back to him. I would prefer to leave the Wiki page alone, but will monitor it to make sure he doesn't change it back to his original wording, which I expect him to attempt after the dust settles.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 9th, 2014 at 11:21:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Famartin

No relation? ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 9th, 2014 at 12:01:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
No relation? ;)

My full name is F.A.Martin. I don't think I am related to FAMartin, but the names are pretty close.

He seems happy with any version that says "unofficial". It seems to me that Nevada Department of Transportation and Federal Aviation Administration are official organizations.

Quote: FAMartin
Jackpot, along with the rest of Nevada except for the city of West Wendover, is legally in the Pacific Time Zone,[6] but, along with other Idaho border towns such as Jarbidge, Mountain City and Owyhee, unofficially observes Mountain Time,[7][8] due to its economic ties with the Magic Valley region of southern Idaho. The Nevada Department of Transportation and Federal Aviation Administration recognize this local unofficial observance.[9][10]
July 9th, 2014 at 12:06:30 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
My full name is [redacted]Martin. I don't think I am related to FAMartin, but the names are pretty close.

Thanks. You'd best take down your full name, BTW.

I was making a silly reference to "Tiny Toons." And so you won't waste time looking for it: often when Buster and Babs Bunny would say their names, they'd add in unison "no relation."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 26th, 2014 at 10:13:13 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Just read this entire thread from start to finish. The urinal, the juggler on the unicycle, the Wikipedia edit wars... this thread is a masterpiece.
August 27th, 2014 at 4:06:45 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: reno
Just read this entire thread from start to finish. The urinal, the juggler on the unicycle, the Wikipedia edit wars... this thread is a masterpiece.

Thank you!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 29th, 2014 at 6:28:34 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Not that it matters, but... Google has it wrong.

Google has a current time feature: type in "current time [name of city]" and Google will tell you the local time in that city. It works for both enormous cities and for tiny towns. Google thinks West Wendover, NV is on Mountain time, and Jackpot, NV is on Pacific time.
September 11th, 2014 at 3:44:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I thought it would help if I could change the Wikipedia entry on the Shanghai Maglev Train. But every time it would get reverted back as speculative or original research. FINALLY I found a quote from a Siemen's executive basically admitting that the train made no financial sense, but was a massively subsidized "sales tool" to try and get the real business. Siemen's never got to build a real train in China, as the government decided to build all the trains with Chinese companies.

But because I found a quote (Hans Dieter), that wikipedia entry has stayed in there for at least six years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_Maglev_Train#Background

Chinese High Speed Train traffic in significant decline due to e-commerce sites such as Chinese EBays that create ecommerce?

Bloomberg:
Li Yuxin used to travel more than three hours by train from Zhangjiekou in northern China to visit her half-sister Li Zhao in Beijing so she could shop for luxury accessories from brands such as Prada (1913:HK) and popular sneaker styles by Nike (NKE) and Adidas (ADS:GR). Zhangjiekou has large shopping malls, but they are full of cheap T-shirts and baggy jackets, not the kind of clothing that appeals to the fashionista. The trips to the capital have become less frequent since Li started ordering clothes from Taobao and Tmall, websites owned by Alibaba Group.

Alibaba has almost single-handedly turned China into the world’s second-largest e-commerce market The company, which filed paperwork on Sept. 5 to raise as much as $21.2 billion in an initial public offering in New York, accounts for about 80 percent of online sales in China. ... e-commerce on the mainland isn’t replacing trips to brick-and-mortar stores—it is “stimulating consumption that would not otherwise take place..."
November 4th, 2018 at 12:02:42 AM permalink
AncientNerd
Threads: 0
The boundary defined by the signs on the highway splits the airport runway. Would that make the FAA half right in a claim that the airport is in the Pacific time zone?
November 4th, 2018 at 4:11:35 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: reno
Not that it matters, but... Google has it wrong.

Google has a current time feature: type in "current time [name of city]" and Google will tell you the local time in that city. It works for both enormous cities and for tiny towns. Google thinks West Wendover, NV is on Mountain time, and Jackpot, NV is on Pacific time.

West Wendover is officially on Mountain time and not Pacific.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 13 of 13« First<10111213