the Church. As priests retire and die off,
they aren't being replaced by enough
new priests.

The number of priests in the world is
the same as it was 50 years ago. But
the number of Catholics in the world
has doubled. Unless some radical
changes are made in the next 10 years,
there will a crisis that's out of control.
Allowing women in the priesthood
is the only answer. They Church must
drag itself out of the 15th century.

Actually the Church seems to be using a new kind of Deacon. Back when I was a kid, a Deacon was a sort of Priest-in-residency. Field training if you like. I remember we had one, he would co-say Mass, with the Priest doing what a Priest had to do and the Deacon doing most of the rest.

Well, at my niece's Baptism they had a Deacon who was married. He "warned" us, in a light way before the Mass before as all the guests from other places not used to it. He is a Deacon and presumably a Deacon he will stay. IIRC he read the Gospel and did the Homily both. (1st and 2nd Readings have been done by non-Priests at least since I was a kid.) This can take a ton of pressure off tje Priests. Communion already blessed can be given. More than a few people might even prefer a shortened Mass in that format.

No need to make female Priests.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2019 at 4:12:38 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

No need to make female Priests.

Sure there is. Do you know
how many parish's and schools
have closed in the last 15 years
due to the priest shortage?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 5th, 2019 at 4:21:46 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Sure there is. Do you know
how many parish's and schools
have closed in the last 15 years
due to the priest shortage?

It is more the shortage of people going to the churches. Attendance has gone down over the years for various reasons. IMHO allowing married priests might be the answer.
The President is a fink.
December 5th, 2019 at 4:46:43 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Allowing priests to marry might help the church on many fronts. https://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/ontario-catholic-diocese-pressured-to-release-list-of-known-abusers-1.5384998

It's not natural for men to deny themselves.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
December 5th, 2019 at 6:24:25 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I think it is natural for men and women to willingly sacrifice all kinds of things when freely chosen and called to do so. Married folks do it all the time as do priests and religious.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 5th, 2019 at 6:51:46 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: FrGamble
I think it is natural for men and women to willingly sacrifice all kinds of things when freely chosen and called to do so. Married folks do it all the time as do priests and religious.

Some do, most don't. Of course it's possible. How many people are in above average physical condition?

Infidelity is natural for men.
December 5th, 2019 at 7:03:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph

Infidelity is natural for men.

Maybe multiple wives is natural.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 6th, 2019 at 12:17:42 AM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: rxwine
Maybe back when they were property.
December 6th, 2019 at 1:56:22 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

As punishment for what. One wife
is punishment enough, thank you..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 27th, 2020 at 12:41:16 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I have a confession to make.

The last couple years I have been doing a lot of roller blading. The part of Vegas I live in is rather hilly, so when I'm going downhill I can get going pretty fast.

That said, yesterday I was at a park that had a wide exercise path, I'd estimate about 30 feet wide. This part of the exercise path is rather steep and I was going downhill. There was a group ahead of me and I could see one coming up. There was about six feet of separation horizontally between the two groups, assuming nobody changed direction. However, to be courteous, I slowed my speed by about 50%, to about 10 MPH.

About two second before I was to go between the two groups, one person, an elderly black woman, in the group in front of me, suddenly turns left, right in front of me, evidently to pet the dog in the other group. I think she probably was familiar with the dog, as you see the same people all the time walking in this park.

In that two second, I tried to slow down more, but there wasn't enough time, so I slipped past the gap the old woman made, between her new location and the other two in her group. This was a very tight gap, like 3 feet.

As I got within inches of her, she was obviously very startled and exclaimed "Jesus!" loudly.

Granted this is not all my fault, but I can see in retrospect I was going too fast and should have considered the contingency of anything happening when two groups pass.

What is my penance, Padre?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
Page 40 of 42« First<373839404142>