Confessional

December 3rd, 2019 at 3:27:19 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Spoken like a person who has never ministered in a prison and someone out of touch with reality.
Let's not argue about this though. My contention is that people are generally filled with guilt and instead of seeking forgiveness they repress it and take it out on themselves or others. The general sense of unhappiness people feel is the lack of knowing how loved and good they are. Their sins lie to them and they feel their mistakes define them. They feel true sorrow for their mistakes but they don't think they can be forgiven. That is just my two cents.

Oh by the way, you are right, priests do judge in confession and the judgement is always love, mercy, compassion, and forgiveness.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 3rd, 2019 at 4:28:32 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: FrGamble
The seal of confession is absolute. However, the problem is not in regards of keeping things confidential that could happen in the future, but rather keeping secret what has happened in the past. Your last example is not a confession and a confession can never be made for future actions. Since that would not be a confession the seal would not apply.

This thread began with a question about the movie "The Irishman" and if you needed felt contrition to be forgiven. I think the movie does a really good job of explaining that contrition, like love, is not ultimately an emotion of the heart but an act of the will. God will certainly forgive anyone who is even imperfectly contrite for their sins.

Thanks for your honest answer. So what is told in the 'confessional' is not guaranteed not to be divulged to others. Only what the priest, in his sole determination, determines to be part of the confession is protected. I'd bet the confessors have a different expectation......
December 3rd, 2019 at 4:32:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
They feel true sorrow for their mistakes but they don't think they can be forgiven. That is just my two cents.

Not my experience. People love to
dwell in the land of denial and
excuses and placing blame on everybody
and anything but themselves. They
aren't eaten with guilt because they've
done nothing they need to say they're
sorry for.

Quote:
priests do judge in confession and the judgement is always love, mercy, compassion, and forgiveness.

UhHuh. The majority of priests I've met
in person are on the majorly arrogant
side. You and I have discussed this
before and you even partially agreed
with me. You can feel the judgement and
arrogance coming off them in waves.

You want me to believe all that magically
disappears in the confessional? Wishful
thinking on your part.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2019 at 6:00:52 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: SOOPOO
Thanks for your honest answer. So what is told in the 'confessional' is not guaranteed not to be divulged to others. Only what the priest, in his sole determination, determines to be part of the confession is protected. I'd bet the confessors have a different expectation......

No, everything said in the confessional is guaranteed not to be divulged to others in any way. However, what you are planning to do is not part of any confession.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
December 3rd, 2019 at 7:07:53 PM permalink
Evenbob
However, what you are planning to do is not part of any confession.

So if they confess to planning a murder,
how is that not part of the confession?
Do priests make it clear that they will
contact police if they hear such a
plan in confession? The whole thing
sounds fishy and duplicitous.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 3rd, 2019 at 7:25:27 PM permalink
FrGamble
It is not really that complicated. If you are planning a murder and not sorry about it why would you go to confession? If you are sorry about it then you are not planning on doing it. The bottom line is that sins you've committed that you are sorry for are forgiven and the seal is absolute.
December 3rd, 2019 at 7:45:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
So if they confess to planning a murder,
how is that not part of the confession?
Do priests make it clear that they will
contact police if they hear such a
plan in confession? The whole thing
sounds fishy and duplicitous.

There was an episode of Law & Order where this was the central point. The priest did not alert the authorities and stood by his decision in court.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 3rd, 2019 at 8:32:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
It is not really that complicated. If you are planning a murder and not sorry about it why would you go to confession? If you are sorry about it then you are not planning on doing it.

What???? None of that is true. If
you're planning on doing it, you
would go to confession to relieve
some of the obvious guilt. And
people do murder others out of
what they feel is necessity, so
of course they feel sorry before
they do it. Look at women who
kill abusive husbands to protect
themselves and the kids. They're
sorry as hell and do it anyway.

What you say here is convoluted
beyond belief. None of it applies
to real life and real situations.
December 3rd, 2019 at 9:39:43 PM permalink
FrGamble
Bob, you don't go to confession for your future sins.
December 4th, 2019 at 12:50:51 AM permalink
Evenbob
Bob, you don't go to confession for your future sins.

So when somebody confesses they
want to molest a
child, you just tell them to come back
after they've done it because it doesn't
count yet? Really?