Confessional

May 23rd, 2016 at 11:41:58 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
So you are allowed to come to your own rational decision but because I believe in God I am not.

You were raised in the Church, were you
not? You made a futile attempt to escape,
as a I recall, but were drawn back in. You
really had no choice, you just think you did.

Quote:
I don't know if it is wrong.

Sure you know. At one time the Church shunned
and rode atheists out of town on a rail (or worse).
The were looked upon as crazy and a danger to
the community. They became more tolerant after
Vatican II, but it's still viewed as wrong by the Church.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 23rd, 2016 at 3:08:14 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
If god is all-knowing, why does he ask questions in genesis chapter 3?

Shouldn't he already know?

Quote:
But the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?”

10 He answered, “I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid.”

11 And he said, “Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
May 23rd, 2016 at 3:17:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Dalex64
If god is all-knowing, why does he ask questions in genesis chapter 3?

Oh, there are legitimate reasons for that:

1) To spare the feelings of the people he's questioning (we know this is not true)
2) To piss people off (why is he asking if he already knows the answer? It's irritating)
3) To trap others into disclosing information, or confessing, or to make a point (Socrates was put to death for using this method, coincidentally called "Socratic")
4) The writers forget the character is all powerful

Quote:
Shouldn't he already know?

Bronze age gods alternated between awesome power and abominable stupidity. Greek myths are rife with mortals fooling various gods, including Zeus. The Egyptians tended to have one god fool another (Seth was a common target for both Isis and Horus). As the Hebrews were too deferential of their god, they built-in the stupidity into him.

So that, plus 2) and 4).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 3rd, 2016 at 7:54:31 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
June 4th, 2016 at 1:46:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
The invitation should be to X and his friend Y are invited to our family gathering, not X and his Gay Friend Y are invited to attend a family gathering and discuss gay issues in front of the children. Big difference.
December 1st, 2019 at 2:56:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Minor spoiler for "The Irishman" below. Don't scan down or don't blame me.
(Except Fr. Gamble, whom I hope has input)

The title character spends the end of his life in a care home with a priest visiting what appears to be some sort of regular basis. The scene is NOT part of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession.) More kind of the Priest seems to make rounds and counsels the poor old guy.

They are discussing the many bad things he did and the guy is sort of sorry he did them but not sobbing sorry. So the Priest says, "Well, maybe you can be sorry without 'feeling sorry.'"

Is this possible in Confession? Say I do something bad to keep someone unquestionably bad from doing bad things. I might be sorry I did it, but I will not feel sorry. How would that be handled?
The President is a fink.
December 1st, 2019 at 3:12:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
I might be sorry I did it, but I will not feel sorry. How would that be handled?

Isn't that how people in prison
feel? Dang I'm sorry I robbed
that bank, but I don't feel
sorry enough not to do it again.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 1st, 2019 at 3:19:14 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
Isn't that how people in prison
feel? Dang I'm sorry I robbed
that bank, but I don't feel
sorry enough not to do it again.

No, not what I'm talking about. Watch the movie.
The President is a fink.
December 1st, 2019 at 3:24:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
No, not what I'm talking about. Watch the movie.

Not a big fan of the older
Pacino and DeNiro. Or Pesci
for that matter. And Ray
Romano always looks silly
doing serious roles.
December 2nd, 2019 at 10:37:14 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Minor spoiler for "The Irishman" below. Don't scan down or don't blame me.
(Except Fr. Gamble, whom I hope has input)

The title character spends the end of his life in a care home with a priest visiting what appears to be some sort of regular basis. The scene is NOT part of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (Confession.) More kind of the Priest seems to make rounds and counsels the poor old guy.

They are discussing the many bad things he did and the guy is sort of sorry he did them but not sobbing sorry. So the Priest says, "Well, maybe you can be sorry without 'feeling sorry.'"

Is this possible in Confession? Say I do something bad to keep someone unquestionably bad from doing bad things. I might be sorry I did it, but I will not feel sorry. How would that be handled?

One of the requirements of confession is contrition or feeling sorry, but there is no real measure for this and God accepts whatever type of contrition we can give them. For example there is what is called "imperfect contrition" and this is really just feeling sorry because we do not want to lose Heaven or experience the pains of Hell. Then there is what is called "perfect contrition" and this is expressing sorrow for our sins mainly just because they offend God whom we should love above all things. The actual feelings involved in any type of contrition are varied depending on the person. We don't need to cry and beat our breast in sorrow for it to be true contrition.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (