Confessional

May 18th, 2016 at 11:24:12 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
I'd be happy to hand out life vests aboard a sinking ship, but the first vest is mine.
Fleastiff, you are on fire lately
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 19th, 2016 at 2:53:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I informally already give more latitude in religious threads, as well as politics, dice setting, betting systems, NTEC, and other controversial topics. However, Nareed's comment went way over the line, no matter the topic.

Very coincidentally, I was watching the movie Pawn Sacrifice last night. There was a scene where Bobby Fisher insulted his friend, a priest. Then the conversation went something like this:

Fisher: Do I go to hell if I insult a priest?
Priest: Depends on whether you believe in hell.

The key word is "informally." My thing was not wanting some official thing. This side seems to work well with a weird mix of the old "I know it when I see it" on one side and people who mostly knowing how to behave on the other. I'd rather just trust management such as it is than have an official thing.

I was kind of surprised to see a name in red. I was on a boring conference call withe everyone, even my boss, looking at their phones instead of really listening and saw it.
The President is a fink.
May 19th, 2016 at 8:36:41 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Fleastiff

The problem is that just about everyone adopts the 'look out for number one' stance while giving lip service to 'helping others'.

I think you have correctly identified the problem.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 20th, 2016 at 6:06:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I regret nothing!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 20th, 2016 at 6:11:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
If someone can point out a time when I said the Big Bang proves the universe was created I will gladly donate $100 to a charity of the Wizard's choice.

Such stakes are too low to be worth the effort.

I will propose other stakes, ones that involve a sacrifice from you. Surely you will be happy for the opportunity?

You would donate $75 this year and $75 next year to the Satanic Temple.

Oh, don't worry. It's just a name. It's not really a temple.
May 20th, 2016 at 9:38:11 AM permalink
Nareed
This may pale in comparison to the time you'll have to serve in purgatory for that one.

I take great comfort on the fact that, if Jehovah's torture chambers were real, you'd serve that time.

Or did you forget you have a paper, with my signature in red nail polish, stating you own my soul?

>:)
May 20th, 2016 at 11:46:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
I take great comfort on the fact that, if Jehovah's torture chambers were real, you'd serve that time.

I mentioned this before, but two days ago I was watching Pawn Sacrifice and the priest in that movie basically said that you don't go to hell for insulting a priest if you don't believe in hell in the first place.

Quote:
Or did you forget you have a paper, with my signature in red nail polish, stating you own my soul?

Yes, I wanted to make a joke about that, but wasn't sure I was at liberty to bring it up. I own another forum member's soul but I'm under strict orders to not say who it is.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 20th, 2016 at 11:57:40 AM permalink
Nareed
Yes, I wanted to make a joke about that, but wasn't sure I was at liberty to bring it up.

Why not? The whole sale was rather public to begin with.
May 20th, 2016 at 1:30:09 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Nareed
Such stakes are too low to be worth the effort.

I will propose other stakes, ones that involve a sacrifice from you. Surely you will be happy for the opportunity?

You would donate $75 this year and $75 next year to the Satanic Temple.

Oh, don't worry. It's just a name. It's not really a temple.

These stakes are far too high and the reason I trusted the Wiz to find an acceptable charity. I am however supremely confident that I did not ever say the Big Bang Theory proved the universe had a beginning. I often said it is evidence that it did, in that it points us towards that conclusion. Logic, even without the Big Bang, will also get us to the fact that the universe and all contingent non necessary things need a cause.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 20th, 2016 at 1:42:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
These stakes are far too high

So a sacrifice is too high a price for you?

Quote:
and the reason I trusted the Wiz to find an acceptable charity.

The Satanic Temple is a perfectly acceptable charity. One of their main goals is to promote freedom of religion.

Of course, to them this does not mean "Christian Supremacy," so I can see you wouldn't like them. That's why it's a sacrifice for you.

But there's hope. I've joined them informally, and I may decide to contribute financially; I like their work. If I do, I'll order a membership card in your name.