Confessional

May 12th, 2016 at 10:38:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
I have heard women say "after the kids were out of high school, I got 'rid of an oaf'". Women put in the twenty years also.
I have seen it both ways, there are many good women who didn't get a fair shake either. Relationships are tough. Most couple that stay together for a long time are grinding it out, not willing to do what it would take after separating. Fifty percent of 1st marriages and 60% of second marriages end in divorce. Evidence that there should be less marriages and more contracts. I don't want people to be miserable being married because that is what society has taught them is moral. Stop marriages, before a significant waiting period, and legalize brothels.

People shouldn't live miserable, this isn't a rehearsal.

Quote:
A man who marries "blond hair, blue eyes and big breasts" in his high school class may later be disappointed that he wants to discuss philosophy and she wants to gossip about the neighbors.
I thought everybody talked about their neighbors?
Quote:
Well, she didn't discuss philosophy in high school, she gossiped; so what did he expect?
Just guessing, he expected the best from the sum of his experiences. If people that young get married, the extreme majority are getting married for the wrong reasons. They are probably doing it at someone else's prompting.

Quote:
I think that is why the best marriages are between "best friends who happen to be of the opposite sex". Same personalities and same interests.
Do you see a lot of that in your experience?
Quote:
Oh, he may race automobiles while she races airplanes, they don't have to be totally identical, but basic personality traits have to be the same.
In every relationship there is an Alpha and a Beta. I think the best marriage takes a lot of luck.

Quote:
Partners still need personal space and freedom. Some spouses agree to what is viewed as scandalous sexual relationships, but the key word is agree. In the Edwardian Era the emphasis was on appearances, in later times the emphasis seems to focus more on the practical and the enjoyment of the parties. Women may take lovers prior to marriage but some simply take studs instead and don't want any sort of "relationship", just "relations" and then beat it. Some don't change much after the marriage, they just confine the paternity to the husband, not the activity. Many women simply acknowledge that 'men often stray'...so they have prior arrangements about such things so that the 'straying' does not end the marriage.
I don't disagree with any of this. I just think to many people get married for the wrong reasons.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
May 13th, 2016 at 7:50:57 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Can you explain how thousands of scientifically
vetted kids have verifiable memories of being
somebody else before they were born?

I choose to not argue either side of the reincarnation debate because I don't know enough about it. All I'm saying is that if it were true, I think it would prove the concept of a "soul," which is contrary to the evolutionary explanation of life.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 13th, 2016 at 11:24:56 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard
I choose to not argue either side of the reincarnation debate because I don't know enough about it. All I'm saying is that if it were true, I think it would prove the concept of a "soul," which is contrary to the evolutionary explanation of life.

Why do you think evolutionists don't believe
in souls. Going way back to evolutionist Julian
Huxley:

‘In the evolutionary pattern of thought there is no longer either need or room for the supernatural. The earth was not created: it evolved. So did all the animals and plants that inhabit it, including our human selves, mind and soul as well as brain and body.’
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 13th, 2016 at 1:05:27 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
The spider lives in a world that is just
as important to him as yours is to you.
And you better believe he thinks he's
your superior. So he's a narcissist too.
But you know you're one and he does
not, that put's all the responsibility on
you to act honorably in your relationship
with him.

Are you hearing yourself when you write stuff like this?

Quote:
There's nothing to see, sin is an invention
to have power over people.

How is sin an invention? Haven't people always made mistakes and offended others? Why do you think power has anything to do with sin? It would seem that if anything those interested in forgiving people would be trying to make sure you didn't feel burdened by the natural guilt we all feel when we hurt or offend someone. It is about setting someone free from the power of sin.

Quote:
You've offended
god, you will be horribly punished.

Not true. God is always merciful and understanding. You cannot accidently go to Hell. To truly offend God and deserve Hell you've got to really want it. And God is a big God, He can handle any petty insults and illogical denials of His existence you can throw at Him. What truly offends Him is to wantonly hurt other human beings and to cause evil to befall them. To do this willingly and without repentance or sorrow is a one way ticket to Hell. To hurt others out of concern only for yourself, to think you are better than others, to be prejudiced and conceited, these are things that lead one to eternal punishment.

Quote:
If I offend
uncle George or aunt Sue, I can apologize or
not. It doesn't mean I'm going to hell for it.

No, but it means you will be separated from Uncle George and Aunt Sue. Separation from God is the definition of Hell.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 13th, 2016 at 2:59:25 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: FrGamble
Are you hearing yourself when you write stuff like this?

This philosophy is unfamiliar to you?
It's been around forever.

Quote:
How is sin an invention?

It's an invention of the OT, and is only
in offshoots of the OT, like Christianity
and Islam. Buddhism, Hinduism, and
religions like them, have no such concept.
You can't offend god because there is
no god to offend. The major issue with
believing there is a god, is believing in
sin. They go hand in hand. If one doesn't
exist, neither does the other.

Quote:
You cannot accidently go to Hell.

Hell doesn't exist, you can't go there at all.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 13th, 2016 at 9:47:13 PM permalink
FrGamble
This philosophy is unfamiliar to you?
It's been around forever.

It may have been around for ever, but it is crazy talk.

Quote:
It's an invention of the OT, and is only
in offshoots of the OT, like Christianity
and Islam. Buddhism, Hinduism, and
religions like them, have no such concept.

Dude that is such BS. All of these religions and every culture that has ever existed has a concept of sin.

Quote:
You can't offend god because there is
no god to offend.

Why do you keep going around in this circle?

Quote:
The major issue with
believing there is a god, is believing in
sin. They go hand in hand. If one doesn't
exist, neither does the other.

This doesn't logically follow from your premises.

Quote:
Hell doesn't exist, you can't go there at all.

I wouldn't bet my life or eternal life on it.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 13th, 2016 at 11:25:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
It may have been around for ever, but it is crazy talk..

It's hardly crazy talk. But you know what is
crazy? Going over the same subjects again
and again and again and hearing the same
things from you over and over. I'm sick of it,
you're a broken record. You are the most
narrow minded smart person I've ever
run across. You have one track, and you
never deviate from it. Brainwashing, try
it, you'll be convinced you love it. You'll
have no choice.
May 13th, 2016 at 11:33:34 PM permalink
FrGamble
No, I'm sorry. I admit it is somewhat crazy trying to talk rationally with you about these things, but you shouldn't be able to pass off as a viable philosophy claiming to know what a spider thinks, calling that spider narcissistic, and then claiming I have some type of responsibility to the spider. Of course I don't believe in indiscriminately killing or harming any of God's creation, but I know (and you do too!) that no insect is anywhere near equal the life of a human being.
May 14th, 2016 at 12:39:54 AM permalink
Evenbob
but I know that no insect is anywhere near equal the life of a human being.

What you don't know would fill an
encyclopedia. Again, narcissism in
all it's glory, on display for all to
gasp at. So insecure, so unsure,
a god was invented in their image,
and they were made the apple of his
eye.

Enough of this nonsense.
May 14th, 2016 at 10:18:55 AM permalink
FrGamble
What you don't know would fill an
encyclopedia.

What I don't know could fill many encyclopedias for sure and that would be the case if we added all your knowledge and everyone else's on this forum. One thing I do know is that an insect is not as important as a human being.