In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 14th, 2019 at 2:43:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Europe is Using Wood from U.S. Forests to Replace Fossil Fuels]

So think about what is happening. Instead of burning coal they are burning wood. Meaning more trees cut down and less energy density from what they burned.

A racket?
The President is a fink.
March 14th, 2019 at 4:41:00 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Program for refugee resettlement in America; https://www.youtube.com/embed/6PzT8vEvYPg

Why are "Christian" organizations contracting to resettle Muslims in USA?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 14th, 2019 at 6:03:26 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
Program for refugee resettlement in America; https://www.youtube.com/embed/6PzT8vEvYPg

Why are "Christian" organizations contracting to resettle Muslims in USA?

I got 1/2 way through and just had to turn it off.
I know the type
These are the types of people that would tell my mother to go back to the country she came from because she struggled with speaking English
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 14th, 2019 at 6:42:08 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: terapined
I got 1/2 way through and just had to turn it off.
I know the type
These are the types of people that would tell my mother to go back to the country she came from because she struggled with speaking English
Ok, I watched it again, and although she does lean toward white xtian, I can see a few valid points. Not racial points, but points. Like the FBI saying they couldn't screen these folks. She pointed out how hard it is for small community's to take on a large group of people they aren't prepared for.
She may be an old white racist b**ch, but that's not why I posted it.

It seems everything has gotten so PC, few things can be discussed without somebody claiming racism.
March 14th, 2019 at 7:30:31 PM permalink
terapined
Ok, I watched it again, and although she does lean toward white xtian, I can see a few valid points. Not racial points, but points. Like the FBI saying they couldn't screen these folks. She pointed out how hard it is for small community's to take on a large group of people they aren't prepared for.
She may be an old white racist b**ch, but that's not why I posted it.

It seems everything has gotten so PC, few things can be discussed without somebody claiming racism.

It was the exaggeration right from the start
We cant afford to take in these people
I say BS
I remember sitting among of a bunch of white people complaining about the Indian families moving into the area. Were they angry that these people were a gonna be a drain on the system. Nope. Because these people were wealthy immigrants.
I just have a completely different perspective on this due to the experiences of my mother.
Its really tough moving to another country. Most do it for their children. Most bust their butt in this country becoming a community asset.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 14th, 2019 at 7:53:27 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: terapined
It was the exaggeration right from the start
We cant afford to take in these people
I say BS
I remember sitting among of a bunch of white people complaining about the Indian families moving into the area. Were they angry that these people were a gonna be a drain on the system. Nope. Because these people were wealthy immigrants.
I just have a completely different perspective on this due to the experiences of my mother.
Its really tough moving to another country. Most do it for their children. Most bust their butt in this country becoming a community asset.
Do you run into people that you feel are prejudice against you? I've been on the receiving end, and although scary, I don't carry it with me.

I think everyone is hardwired to be tribal. Would you feel just as comfortable on the gang side of LA as you are during a family get together at xmas?
March 14th, 2019 at 8:43:57 PM permalink
terapined
Do you run into people that you feel are prejudice against you? I've been on the receiving end, and although scary, I don't carry it with me.

I think everyone is hardwired to be tribal. Would you feel just as comfortable on the gang side of LA as you are during a family get together at xmas?

I have not really run into prejudice. Maybe a few minor instances but that's subject to interpretation.
Most of my life, I hung with white people but that's from growing up in a white liberal suburb then becoming a deadhead which is also pretty white and liberal.
Of course people are tribal, that's why we have Chinatown in a lot of cities :-)
The anti immigration talk, well , there is a long history of it in our country and the anti side is always proven wrong
The Irish are a classic example of that.
March 14th, 2019 at 11:39:00 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Is there an unusual number of young seemingly healthy people dropping dead lately, or is it just my imagination? I heard about 20 year old Miss teen Universe winner dying of cardiac arrest. The dentist below was on Amazing Race at one time dies suddenly at 42.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 14th, 2019 at 11:50:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Is there an unusual number of young seemingly healthy people dropping dead lately

It's usually undiagnosed heart disease. They
have a heart condition that doesn't respond
well to certain kinds of drugs or exercise,
and they die. Had they been warned they
could have lived decades longer.

I had a friend in his 40's who ate a regular
Tgiving dinner, went to take out the
trash, and dropped dead. They never
found out why. His dad lived into his
90's and he has brothers in their 70's
and 80's. Normal guy, no smoking
or drugs.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 15th, 2019 at 3:02:54 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman
Is This The End of Recycling?

Appears the dirty little secret is we were sending lots of trash to China.

We should be able to burn plastics. Metal is easy to recycle. Glass can be ground down and used as sand on the beach, maybe in roads?

Good article, here is the final bit if you missed it: "Reed [writer's guide at a recycling plant] chided me for eating my daily Chobani yogurt out of small, five-ounce containers rather than out of big, 32-ounce tubs, but I saw a five-ounce Yoplait container in a trash can of the control room of the Recology plant. While there, Reed handed me a pair of small orange earplugs meant to protect my ears from the noise of the plant. They were wrapped in a type of flimsy plastic that is nearly impossible to recycle. When I left the plant, I kept the earplugs and the plastic in my bag, not sure what to do with them. Eventually, I threw them in the trash."
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]