In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 16th, 2018 at 12:29:59 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: kenarman
That is not true EB. Sears owned a lot if not the majority of their stores. Even the malls were often owned by a partnership of the 2 or 3 big anchor tenants.

One smart move Sears made was on rent
They signed real long leases. Real long. Like 10 to 20 years. In return they got great deals mall rent. Real great deals
Their rent deals are so cheap, mall owners are thrilled with Sears going under.
Now they can make some real money on that Sears space
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 16th, 2018 at 12:57:06 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
That is not true EB. Sears owned a lot if not the majority of their stores. Even the malls were often owned by a partnership of the 2 or 3 big anchor tenants. That is one of the reasons they were slow to changes since they didn't want to abandon their real estate investments.

Mall by where I grew up Sears is suing over something or other over the ownership. The mall is 95% vacant and in BK, Sears is suing them. Every lawyer has to wonder if they will get paid.

Yes, I said 95% vacant!
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2018 at 7:24:16 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Stephen Hawking answers most frequently asked questions in his last book.

"There is no God. No one directs the universe," he writes in "Brief Answers to the Big Questions."
"For centuries, it was believed that disabled people like me were living under a curse that was inflicted by God," he adds. "I prefer to think that everything can be explained another way, by the laws of nature."

"Travel back in time can't be ruled out according to our present understanding," he says. He also predicts that "within the next hundred years we will be able to travel to anywhere in the Solar System."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/stephen-hawking-there-is-no-god-says-physicist-in-final-book/ar-BBOsJel?ocid=spartanntp
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 17th, 2018 at 7:55:10 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine

"Travel back in time can't be ruled out according to our present understanding," he says. He also predicts that "within the next hundred years we will be able to travel to anywhere in the Solar System."

Yet he doesn't ask why we would want to do so?

Within the next 100 years we may see a collapse of Western Civilization that sets us back 400 years.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2018 at 8:02:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman

Within the next 100 years we may see a collapse of Western Civilization that sets us back 400 years.

Cool, isn't that back to the Enlightenment?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 17th, 2018 at 8:07:35 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
At a time when Europeans put the demented in dungeons, Arabia allowed them to roam and eat freely in the market place because they had been touched
by the hand of Allah. In neither area was there actually a clockmaker.
October 17th, 2018 at 8:32:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Cool, isn't that back to the Enlightenment?

Probably a touch before. But do not expect the societies that are rising to embrace European values.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2018 at 8:52:08 AM permalink
rxwine
I remember a nice illustration with cars why we can't go into the future. so, I assume if you go back in time you will not be able to return.
October 17th, 2018 at 9:04:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
I remember a nice illustration with cars why we can't go into the future. so, I assume if you go back in time you will not be able to return.

You will return, eventually.
The President is a fink.
October 17th, 2018 at 10:47:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

Collapse yes, set us back, not. China will
take over the world, it's inevitable,
and progress will continue.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.