In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 7th, 2014 at 10:03:03 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
You didn't calculate it took 5 years for some sort of deal. This was not a quick return on investment. There was always the possibility he would have been found by American forces in those 5 years. The Taliban has more to consider than easy pickings if they go this route.

Do we know how long they really tried to make a deal? I hear that this particular deal was on the table for two years, but who knows how long we tried to put together a deal before that. The deal may not have been all that important to our side earlier on, since it is widely assumed that Bergdahl wasn't forced to leave camp and wander off to join the enemy.

It would be different if the enemy captured a soldier on patrol or on his base--I bet the sense of urgency would go way up if there was no question of the prisoner's behavior. Plus now the enemy knows we will pay the price...they'll ask quicker next time...

The timing of the culmination of the deal is interesting for those of us who question the President's leadership--amazingly, it came in the midst of the VA scandal. Something to help move that off the front page that the President's team thought would turn out well? Perhaps...
June 7th, 2014 at 10:34:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
You didn't calculate it took 5 years for some sort of deal. This was not a quick return on investment. There was always the possibility he would have been found by American forces in those 5 years. The Taliban has more to consider than easy pickings if they go this route.

5 years only? Heck he just wanted to study things more, just like Keystone XL.
The President is a fink.
June 7th, 2014 at 12:58:22 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: SOOPOO
The most disturbing aspect of this fiasco is that we have now clearly shown that we will 'overpay' for an American, no matter how detestable that American is. The EV of kidnapping an American just went through the roof......
+1

Quote: RonC
It would be different if the enemy captured a soldier on patrol or on his base--I bet the sense of urgency would go way up if there was no question of the prisoner's behavior. Plus now the enemy knows we will pay the price...they'll ask quicker next time...
+1
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
June 8th, 2014 at 12:35:25 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Did you watch Judge Janine tonight? My god,
she tore Obama a new one. Smart good looking
women scare the crap out of me. If Obama
had been watching, his sphincter would be
hurting for the next week.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 8th, 2014 at 4:57:16 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
The President has no idea how to act Presidential--self-important, yes...dignified, no...

http://weaselzippers.us/188765-obama-chomps-on-gum-during-d-dad-anniversary-event/

(For the instant apologists...if he had a sore throat or some other issue, a discreet hard candy or throat lozenge is a much better--and more respectful--way to go rather than chewing like a cow...)
June 8th, 2014 at 6:06:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC
The President has no idea how to act Presidential--self-important, yes...dignified, no...

http://weaselzippers.us/188765-obama-chomps-on-gum-during-d-dad-anniversary-event/

(For the instant apologists...if he had a sore throat or some other issue, a discreet hard candy or throat lozenge is a much better--and more respectful--way to go rather than chewing like a cow...)

I think a big part of the problem is if he isn't the center of attention he isn't interested.
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2014 at 9:57:41 AM permalink
Beethoven
Obama to free Gitmo terrorist ‘because he took up yoga’

If this is true, I don't even know what to say...

As Bowe Bergdahl Heals, Details Emerge of His Captivity

I love how the New Yuck Times throws this line in the article twice (once at the beginning, once more at the end):
Quote:
"Bergdahl...objects when hospital staff address him as sergeant instead of private first class."
Trying to make this deserter sound like he has some honor after all... *facepalm*
June 8th, 2014 at 12:09:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Now Bergdahl is refusing to speak to his parents,
even on the phone. He's probably a mental case
now, even more than when he deserted.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 8th, 2014 at 2:22:05 PM permalink
Beethoven
Quote: Evenbob
Now Bergdahl is refusing to speak to his parents,
even on the phone. He's probably a mental case
now, even more than when he deserted.

Yeah, the guy sounds really, really weird. Apparently, he also made lots of strange comments to his platoon mates prior to deserting.
June 8th, 2014 at 4:42:17 PM permalink
Beethoven
This just occurred a few hours ago in Las Vegas:

Five reported dead in northeast Las Vegas police ambush