In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 6th, 2015 at 1:26:12 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Quote: petroglyph
At what point did the actual crusaders [Knights Templar] figure out they were just being used as a collection arm of the bank?
I don't know. At what point did the US Marines sent into Central America realize just whose "American Interests" they were protecting?
General Smedley Butler:

"I helped make Mexico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested."

"War is a racket" http://www.wanttoknow.info/warisaracket.shtml
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 7th, 2015 at 6:32:55 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I didn't see where to put this under travel and no headline, but just found out last night.

For you fans of classic airlines, the name "USAir/USAirways" officially goes into the hanger forever this Saturday night. While you will see the name on planes until they get them painted, the merger with American will be complete in the reservation system and flights will be USAir any longer.

While employees and locals here may miss the name, it is just another airline. USAir was more than the other majors built by merger after merger of regional airlines.
The President is a fink.
October 7th, 2015 at 6:49:05 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Will miss US Airways and all the others such as
Continental
America West
Northwest
Valu jet-Air Tran
TWA
Pan Am
Eastern
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 7th, 2015 at 7:30:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
Will miss US Airways and all the others such as
Continental
America West
Northwest
Valu jet-Air Tran
TWA
Pan Am
Eastern

People's Express?

Back to the subject, has been weird, employees of both carriers, sitting side by side, but one unable to help the other's passengers due to I assume two computer systems. I told the woman, "Don't worry, they always have software perfect for when they flip the switch."

She saw the dry humor immediately.
The President is a fink.
October 8th, 2015 at 2:23:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Unlicensed 'Doctor' in Vegas Says He's Self-Taught Sovereign

Quote:
He described agreements with people he treats as private contracts over which the government and courts have no jurisdiction.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/unlicensed-doctor-vegas-taught-sovereign-34351212

Based on what I read, he wouldn't be my first choice, or second...
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 8th, 2015 at 3:21:46 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Apparently the way, or one of the ways, that the VW emmissions test defeat device worked was by monitoring steering wheel inputs. Frequent inputs = Power and Pollute mode. Still wheel = being tested.

So, depending on how sensitive the thing is, you might be polluting less at a traffic light, and you might want to give the wheel a little jiggle before trying to pass someone.

Average price of affected models is down 13% - that must be private party sales since vw can't sell any right now.

The fix could involve fitting urea tanks to the cars. Apparently just fixing the software to "defeat test always" isn't a viable solution.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 8th, 2015 at 3:41:17 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Dalex64
Apparently the way, or one of the ways, that the VW emmissions test defeat device worked was by monitoring steering wheel inputs. Frequent inputs = Power and Pollute mode. Still wheel = being tested.

So, depending on how sensitive the thing is, you might be polluting less at a traffic light, and you might want to give the wheel a little jiggle before trying to pass someone.

Not necessary, there has to be no steering input but also driving at a certain speed, etc.

Quote:
Average price of affected models is down 13% - that must be private party sales since vw can't sell any right now.

The fix could involve fitting urea tanks to the cars. Apparently just fixing the software to "defeat test always" isn't a viable solution.

If I was looking for this kind of car I would buy one from some scared yuppie at a fire sale price and drive it forever. I have heard dealers are getting killed as some have 1/3 of sales from diesels. I wonder what the final cost will be. Including lost sales and lawsuits at many levels one might wonder if this could weaken VW to the point they have to merge with say Ford?
The President is a fink.
October 8th, 2015 at 5:42:25 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Got one in the category of legal gun owner/cpl holder hurting their own cause

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/10/08/woman-with-concealed-gun-permit-shoots-at-fleeing-shoplifter-could-face-charges/
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 9th, 2015 at 6:16:12 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Seattle ‘Yoga Class for People of Color’ Excludes Caucasians.

How long until we hear the outrage?
The President is a fink.
October 9th, 2015 at 10:18:06 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman

No laws have been broken until someone is actually excluded.
I'm sure somebody will test this and be disappointed.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"