In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

November 5th, 2021 at 9:35:04 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
Nobody knows what systemic racism means. The keywords now are 'white supremacy dog whistle', you hear this constantly on CNN and MSNBC. They never explain what it means and nobody knows what it means. It just sounds clever.

I have never heard the term 'white supremacy dog whistle', of course. I don't watch any news shows.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 5th, 2021 at 9:39:28 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Nobody knows what systemic racism means. The keywords now are 'white supremacy dog whistle', you hear this constantly on CNN and MSNBC. They never explain what it means and nobody knows what it means. It just sounds clever.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 5th, 2021 at 9:48:59 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
That's actually an interesting comparison because then you get into wondering whether race is an actual issue in that instance or a perceived issue.

That's really the entire problem with framing things in the context of race to begin with. With some juries, it probably would be an ACTUAL issue (particularly in the South) whereas, with other juries, any issue would be a perceived one and no actual bias against the defendant would exist.

That's also the problem with trying to advance a social argument that there is an, "Intrinsic racism," "Inherent racism," or, "Systemic racism,"...it probably has married white couples working two wage slave jobs to get by wondering where the hell their white privilege is purported to be! The social argument basically tries to take racism from being a flaw that is found in many individuals up to something that is just automatically there with everyone.

In my opinion, it's not whether you're subject to bias, it's what you do about it. Kind of like of not being the bad example that you saw growing up, if that's what you experienced.

I'm rarely bothered by people who make mistakes. Just people who blow it off, and say that's the way they're going to be. I don't have any patience with those people or mercy.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 5th, 2021 at 9:54:06 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
...a perfect example is the difference between how Biden handles his racial faux pas vs. Trump. Trump is one long mistake in that area.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 5th, 2021 at 9:58:31 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23

I agree, which is why I said you could make an argument for it were it clearly defined. Basically, it would be a cause-and-effect focused definition.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 5th, 2021 at 10:04:47 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine

In my opinion, it's not whether you're subject to bias, it's what you do about it. Kind of like of not being the bad example that you saw growing up, if that's what you experienced.

I'm rarely bothered by people who make mistakes. Just people who blow it off, and say that's the way they're going to be. I don't have any patience with those people or mercy.

See, that's a good way to be and is the problem with the Far Left. When it comes to Criminal Law, you have this huge list of things that people should be forgiven for and any number of excuses get made for police bias or an individual's circumstances. I'm not saying that those arguments cannot be meritorious on a situational or individual basis, but you can't portray that as always being the case. In some instances, a person simply either committed a criminal act or a person did not.

I really don't take a huge issue with a focus on rehabilitation for certain crimes, especially not for the things that I either don't think should be illegal to begin with or only directly harm the person (drugs) actually committing the act. That said, I don't like Cancel Culture going after people for some off-hand comment several years or decades ago and wanting to shut a person down for that when there is not only no reason to believe that is the way the person thinks today, but in some instances, every reason to believe the opposite of that. More than that, you're also holding a past statement to today's PC standards.

If you want to call on people to apologize or you want them to say (assuming it's true) that they were just kidding and don't actually think that way, or did think that way but don't anymore, then that's a whole other matter.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
November 5th, 2021 at 4:17:11 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Quote: rxwine

Mercy?
WTF does that mean?
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
November 5th, 2021 at 4:23:52 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Pelosi and the Dems flailing again this week, too funny.
Nancy, please put the Infrastructure Bill up for a House vote by itself and please have all the BIPOC Progressives vote it down.
That would be the cherry on top of what has been a phenomenal week for the GOP. Incredible how dumb the Dems are these days.
It's such a joy to watch and then have their followers come on here and tell us how well this House Plant Admin is doing.
Bless their hearts!
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
November 6th, 2021 at 7:21:16 AM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
Well, well well, who would have guessed?

No million-dollar checks: Democratic governors may sit out Florida
Quote:
The Democratic Governors Association has no plans to give significant financial help to Florida Democrats as they seek to unseat Gov. Ron DeSantis in 2022, a major setback that will make it harder for challengers to take on the popular Republican.

The perception that DeSantis is unbeatable has left national Democratic groups like the DGA to weigh whether they should spend resources in Florida, a hugely expensive state with 10 media markets, or use that cash to help incumbents in cheaper states.
-emphasis mine-
Florida Democrats anxious as DeSantis seems unbeatable

I guess they forgot to get the advice of terapined and ams. LOL LOL LOL

and additionally:
Florida turns red: DeSantis touts record as registered Republicans outnumber Democrats for the first time

for ams: I insist that you reply to my post with one of your snarky comments.
Let's go Brandon
November 6th, 2021 at 9:15:06 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: fleaswatter
Well, well well, who would have guessed?

No million-dollar checks: Democratic governors may sit out Florida
Quote:
The Democratic Governors Association has no plans to give significant financial help to Florida Democrats as they seek to unseat Gov. Ron DeSantis in 2022, a major setback that will make it harder for challengers to take on the popular Republican.

The perception that DeSantis is unbeatable has left national Democratic groups like the DGA to weigh whether they should spend resources in Florida, a hugely expensive state with 10 media markets, or use that cash to help incumbents in cheaper states.
-emphasis mine-
Florida Democrats anxious as DeSantis seems unbeatable

I guess they forgot to get the advice of terapined and ams. LOL LOL LOL

and additionally:
Florida turns red: DeSantis touts record as registered Republicans outnumber Democrats for the first time

for ams: I insist that you reply to my post with one of your snarky comments.

MASSIVE FAIL

I’ve always said that FL is basically a red state now and DeSantis will win re-election.

You’re trolling attempts are so weak. 😂😂😂😂
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman