In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

July 10th, 2021 at 7:59:11 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: rxwine
Most opponents do argue the all or nothing settlement as if that’s the only possibility for any such idea of reparations.

It just points out how artificial any line drawn for partial payment is. What will happen anyway is that if any reparations at all are paid to the blacks for slavery the payments will never end.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 10th, 2021 at 8:18:19 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
It just points out how artificial any line drawn for partial payment is. What will happen anyway is that if any reparations at all are paid to the blacks for slavery the payments will never end.

I don’t know, but personally I think it would be more like, do all parties want to go through years maybe decades of court battles, or agree to a lesser settlement? Would you take 10 cents on the dollar now for an agreement where someone’s granddaddy stole from your granddaddy, or would you rather wait another 15 years in court battles for more?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2021 at 8:24:26 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
I don’t know, but personally I think it would be more like, do all parties want to go through years maybe decades of court battles, or agree to a lesser settlement? Would you take 10 cents on the dollar now for an agreement where someone’s granddaddy stole from your granddaddy, or would you rather wait another 15 years in court battles for more?

The problem is that you pay the 10 cents and when it is gone they come back for more. Your first 10 cents just proves they have a legitimate claim and they will be back for more. This is the way of entitlement it is always open ended.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 10th, 2021 at 8:34:04 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: kenarman
The problem is that you pay the 10 cents and when it is gone they come back for more. Your first 10 cents just proves they have a legitimate claim and they will be back for more. This is the way of entitlement it is always open ended.

Some such clause in the settlement that all parties have agreed that this is a final resolution, no longer to be pursued.

Anyway, I pretty much consider the reparations possibility pretty remote. Too many problems unwinding the connections. Too much opposition.

Except for possibly rare direct legal claims which might crop up.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 10th, 2021 at 10:37:49 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Assuming the gov't decides that there is a need to pay cash payments as reparations to American blacks whose ancestors were slaves here, there are a few potentially problematic issues that must be addressed.

First, a quick, reliable and accurate mechanism for proving appropriate ancestry to adduce proof of enslavement is needed.

Many of the blacks currently in America or their ancestors came here after slavery ended; presumably they should get nothing.

For example, say 100 years ago a black came here, legally or illegally, from another country: his progeny should receive nothing as he wasn't an American slave.

So not ALL American blacks are entitled to reparations.

So then a means must be devised to easily and accurately determine whose ancestors were in fact slaves here, and whose were not.

Given the seemingly incomplete and slip-shod record keeping of the old days that could be an insurmountable problem.

Also, what about blacks who had an enslaved ancestor or two but who also have ancestors who were freed from slavery, or who arrived after slavery was abolished: presumably their reparations amount should be pro-rated based on percentage of enslaved vs. non-enslaved ancestors.

Then there is the real issue: coming up with the source of reparations payments; it would be unfair to have the government pay because a portion of the money they have in the US treasury came from blacks, and blacks shouldn't have to pay themselves.

No, the only fair way to get the money is to take it from the whites now in America.

Good luck with that.
July 10th, 2021 at 12:38:43 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Somewhere on the left coast.

July 10th, 2021 at 12:58:04 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Tanko
Somewhere on the left coast.

I have to admit, I like it when people burn American flags. I enjoy watching all the idiots yell and scream about how great America is and that burning the flag is un-American. The hypocrisy of those idiots that don't understand that because we are America we can burn the flags without government reprisal. That is exactly what America is all about.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 10th, 2021 at 1:39:12 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Fair enough, but why would anyone want to do it in the first place?

Pretty stupid.
July 10th, 2021 at 3:36:43 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Anyway, I pretty much consider the reparations possibility pretty remote...
In the meantime it allows you to do your "virtue signaling" by being for it
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 10th, 2021 at 4:28:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
In the meantime it allows you to do your "virtue signaling" by being for it

What'cha so riled up about? You live on a plantation or something? Are black descendants trying to take it from you as payment?