In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

March 3rd, 2021 at 5:48:44 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: petroglyph
Who maintains the infrastructure of the internet that FB is using? If these social media company's want to censor free speech then they should build their own web and have every right to not sell to whomever they choose.

I don't know enough about digital infrastructure, but I am fairly sure that is not how it works. I am pretty sure there is no web infrastructure owned by one entity.

But, even if that were the case (I am pretty sure its not), why stop there? Why should Wizard be allowed to ban spammers on WOV, its free speech? Why should any site be allowed to have rules? Its all free speech? ....

A business exists that is surrounded by public roads and connected to public utilities, they still have the right to have a dress code because they own (or lease) the land and/or structure and pay the fees and taxes to sustain such an establishment. If a website owner does the same what is the difference? I would be banned from my favorite restaurant for wearing some shirts that I would find very amusing, likewise I would be banned from some of my favorite websites for posting some things that I would find amusing. At the end of the day the owner of the establishment decides. I fail to see any argument why "social media" should be any different.

Why is Facebook and Twitter a public right and this site is not? Is it simply size? Or is it content?
March 3rd, 2021 at 5:53:53 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73

These social media company's are getting away with the same thing that happened in Texas.

WTF
lets say I am interested in Alex Jones
I'm not going to FB or any social media site
That would be absurd
I'm going to
https://www.infowars.com/

Are you a social media addict?
That would explain your absurd fixation with social media
Guess what
Ignore it. Its meaningless. Its not a utility. Its fluff. Its nothing.
Its like the boob tube. Its mental masturbation
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 3rd, 2021 at 7:51:45 PM permalink
fleaswatter
Threads: 3
This is what happens when you have the democrats in charge of schools:

City student passes 3 classes in four years, ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

Quote:
In his four years at Augusta Fells, France’s son earned a GPA of 0.13. He only passed three classes, but his transcripts show his class rank is 62 out of 120. This means, nearly half his classmates, 58 of them, have a 0.13 grade point average or lower.
Let's go Brandon
March 3rd, 2021 at 8:03:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: terapined
WTF
lets say I am interested in Alex Jones
I'm not going to FB or any social media site
That would be absurd
I'm going to
https://www.infowars.com/

Are you a social media addict?
That would explain your absurd fixation with social media
Guess what
Ignore it. Its meaningless. Its not a utility. Its fluff. Its nothing.
Its like the boob tube. Its mental masturbation
If the long distance carrier in an area you travel to doesn't like what you say, should they be able to block you so you can't call out?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 3rd, 2021 at 8:15:36 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
If the long distance carrier in an area you travel to doesn't like what you say, should they be able to block you so you can't call out?

??????
NSA does not support censorship
They want to hear everything :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 4th, 2021 at 2:30:01 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
This.

I don't want to pay for TSA at airports, I think the airlines should finance their own xray scanners, instead of making their friends rich on the public dime.

For that matter, let the airlines build and maintain their own airports.

These social media company's are getting away with the same thing that happened in Texas. Those utility's have to let other power providers sell electricity across the lines they maintain, which kills their profit. The internet is a "common carrier" which anyone can click on, its a GSE.

Airlines pay for the use of the airport. Same as truckers pay for the use of the roads.
The President is a fink.
March 4th, 2021 at 2:35:34 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: fleaswatter

City student passes 3 classes in four years, ranks near top half of class with 0.13 GPA

There are millions like him. 30% of US students are failing High School.

"But the really upsetting data is that in urban settings typically 50 to 70 percent of the students fail to graduate!"

But he can still vote. That's all that matters to the Dems.
March 4th, 2021 at 4:31:10 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Tanko

Eek! Certainly sounds like you support Jim Crow-era literacy tests.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 4th, 2021 at 5:41:26 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4

Which Internet carriers are censoring content?
March 4th, 2021 at 5:51:50 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: Tanko
Quote: fleaswatter

There are millions like him. 30% of US students are failing High School.

"But the really upsetting data is that in urban settings typically 50 to 70 percent of the students fail to graduate!"

It’s inconceivable that a kid can be ‘late or absent’ 272 times in a 3 (or4?) year stretch and the mother solely blames the school for her son’s failure? And it’s inconceivable that this student fails nearly every class and still gets promoted! I of course blame the student first, but WTF was the school doing? And by passing THREE classes over the years he ranks ABOVE half of the students in his grade? What an abject failure that community is.... obviously education means nothing there.... and the subsequent response from the school reinforcing that....

Edit. 62 out of 120 so only above 58 of 120.