In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 19th, 2021 at 6:25:39 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
I have no problem with load factor pricing. Two reasons. First is it self-rations. Lets say a family goes and decides the kids need their own room because the regular rack rate is say $120/night. If it goes to $200/night all of the sudden the kids can make do in the same room. This is the same thing as the $48 case of bottled water. People paying $2 a bottle all year all of the sudden scream that it is the same $2 but now no case discount. But if they buy a whole case then someone else does not get to buy a bottle. At $2 a bottle maybe they need just 3 not 24 bottles.

The other end is the proprietor. They are not a charity. This thing is costing them extra money now and likely lost business later. A good example here is a gas station in a hurricane. Street price goes up $0.50/gal. It has to because the next tanker is $0.60 a gallon higher and the poor owner has to cover this.

I agree with most of this in principle, though the bottled water is a bit of an unusual comparison. I understand the basis of the comparison, though.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 19th, 2021 at 6:31:43 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: DRich
Mission, I think I would charge the highest rate that I charge during a normal year. If the rates are $300 during some big convention I would feel justified charging that now as it is a rate that I already get occasionally.

I tend to think that would be reasonable.

I do believe the explanation that the guy mistakenly set the rates to whatever maximum the system would allow in the hopes nobody would book. If I wasn't used to having to close out all of my inventory, then that's one way that I might think to do it.

The problem is that there's not simply a single button that does that, but that's because the franchisor essentially wants most available inventory online at all times. You can call the franchisor (at least, we could) and have them kill it on their end, but it was faster to circumvent it yourself than it was to get someone on the phone.

Circumventing it would either be creating fake check-ins, reservations, or setting rooms to out of order status. Reservations were perhaps fastest because you could duplicate the information from any previous guest (full C.C. number is the only part that doesn't duplicate), change the reservation guarantee to, "Manager Guarantee," and book ten rooms at a time. When people would call for reservations, or walk-in, you would just edit all of the information on the reservation that you had already created.

Anyway, I could turn thirty rooms available online to zero in roughly two minutes, again, faster than actually getting someone on the phone. The first person you talked to usually couldn't approve killing online inventory anyway, so you'd have to get a supervisor. Sometimes the #$^&*&^%$#$ thing would ring in to the normal call center, then you'd have to spend an extra couple minutes explaining to the rep that you ARE the hotel.

I just know because there was a time we would, "Fake a sell out," pretty frequently...but it was usually for a different reason.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 19th, 2021 at 6:36:48 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: terapined
Except for Chuck Norris
When Chuck Norris jumps into water, Chuck Norris does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris
Other Chuckie faves
Chuck Norris does not sleep, Chuck Norris waits
When Chuck Norris does pushups, he is not pushing himself up, he is pushing the Earth down
Chuck Norris can describe a book just by looking at its cover
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

The boogeyman is scared that Chuck Norris might be hiding under his bed.
February 19th, 2021 at 6:56:16 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Mission146
I tend to think that would be reasonable.

I do believe the explanation that the guy mistakenly set the rates to whatever maximum the system would allow in the hopes nobody would book. If I wasn't used to having to close out all of my inventory, then that's one way that I might think to do it.

The problem is that there's not simply a single button that does that, but that's because the franchisor essentially wants most available inventory online at all times. You can call the franchisor (at least, we could) and have them kill it on their end, but it was faster to circumvent it yourself than it was to get someone on the phone.

Circumventing it would either be creating fake check-ins, reservations, or setting rooms to out of order status. Reservations were perhaps fastest because you could duplicate the information from any previous guest (full C.C. number is the only part that doesn't duplicate), change the reservation guarantee to, "Manager Guarantee," and book ten rooms at a time. When people would call for reservations, or walk-in, you would just edit all of the information on the reservation that you had already created.

Anyway, I could turn thirty rooms available online to zero in roughly two minutes, again, faster than actually getting someone on the phone. The first person you talked to usually couldn't approve killing online inventory anyway, so you'd have to get a supervisor. Sometimes the #$^&*&^%$#$ thing would ring in to the normal call center, then you'd have to spend an extra couple minutes explaining to the rep that you ARE the hotel.

I just know because there was a time we would, "Fake a sell out," pretty frequently...but it was usually for a different reason.

All kinds of price gouging happening in TX
All supplies valuable
Water an extremely prized commodity
People cant find food
I have to admit I am enjoying TX becoming a sh**hole state directly due to failed Republican policies
It's really shocking the struggle Texas is going through
Rick Perry actually thinks Texans need to suffer or the Feds will make sure power equipment is winterized.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 19th, 2021 at 7:22:21 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: terapined
I have to admit I am enjoying TX becoming a sh**hole state directly due to failed Republican policies

A little unkind, don't you think? Most Texans had little to no visibility of the policy choices that caused this. Turns out Democrats are suffering too.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 19th, 2021 at 8:43:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
He really got burned. He said in one interview he was only going there one night because the kids wanted to go and he was going to drop them off. Then in a later interview when they found out he had booked through Saturday. he changed his story that he was going until Saturday for the same reason. THEN reporters got his wife's texts to friends where she said on Wednesday they were going to Cancun because they were freezing. On top of that, Cruz had lambasted another politician for going to Cabo.

New names, Lyin', Flyin' Cruz, and Fled Ted

Who cares if he goes to Cancun? It is not like he is the governor who has to oversee things. And it is not like he is a liberal governor breaking their own china virus lockdown rules.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2021 at 8:46:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
I agree with most of this in principle, though the bottled water is a bit of an unusual comparison. I understand the basis of the comparison, though.

It is what I had to work with. Here is a true sad story. I forget the hurricane but after it a guy rented a 28 foot straight truck U-Haul. He cleaned out the generators at his local Home Deopts and drove to the area. Then he sold them at an inflated price. AND GOT ARRESTED!

So nobody got the generators because they were impounded. Really we need 100 more people like him coming from 100 cleaned out Home Depots. Nobody forced anyone to buy a generator.
The President is a fink.
February 19th, 2021 at 8:58:17 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
It is what I had to work with. Here is a true sad story. I forget the hurricane but after it a guy rented a 28 foot straight truck U-Haul. He cleaned out the generators at his local Home Deopts and drove to the area. Then he sold them at an inflated price. AND GOT ARRESTED!

So nobody got the generators because they were impounded. Really we need 100 more people like him coming from 100 cleaned out Home Depots. Nobody forced anyone to buy a generator.

Wasn't there a guy hoarding a bunch of masks and sanitizer last year (with the intent to sell them at an inflated price) who almost got charged?

You buy something for a certain price and then you sell it at a higher price, if you can. That's literally the fundamental concept of retail.

Another thing to be said for that guy was at least he took initiative. What's to stop Home Depot from renting its own trucks (or using ones it already has) and taking generators down there with only a modest markup to cover delivery costs? I tend to agree 100% with you on this one...those generators weren't going to take themselves there.
February 19th, 2021 at 9:15:15 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Who cares if he goes to Cancun? It is not like he is the governor who has to oversee things. And it is not like he is a liberal governor breaking their own china virus lockdown rules.

Classic deflection tactic.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 19th, 2021 at 9:54:58 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
deleted ;)
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman