In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 18th, 2021 at 2:12:59 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Mission146
This one caught my eye, since I used to be in hotels:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/investigations/defenders/texans-complain-of-possible-price-gouging-at-hotels-amid-winter-storm/269-499d81ce-cd91-4fd4-8d60-7fc3a623926b

Relevant quote:

Okay, so the question is really what might constitute, "Exorbitant or excessive." I think that's really tough to say because, right or wrong, prices are simply going to go up when you have millions of people who might be looking for perhaps tens of thousands of available guest rooms.

Obviously, such a massive power outage is an extremely rare situation, which is something that we never had to deal with during the time I worked at either of the two hotels that I used to. I'm not sure that we ever had any power outage that would have sold us out within minutes, or anything. The only time a power outage might have resulted in such a thing, we were already nearly sold out anyway (so our rates were already about as high as we ever went) and people refused to pay them and accused us of price gouging...even though the rates (at that particular time) hadn't been changed in weeks.

What do you guys think, "The right thing," is to do in this situation? Should the hotels just keep their, "Normal rates," as if nothing in the world was happening, should they be allowed to charge whatever they want?

I can say that our rates were often ridiculous for what you were getting; I'm not even going to pretend otherwise, but it was a simple function of supply and demand. We spent the better part of three years at 80%+ occupancy, often completely sold out, except on Sundays. I'd have liked to have seen more investment in improving the public areas of the property (such as the pool), or having a continental breakfast that didn't completely suck, but I didn't own the property---I managed it---so that wasn't really my call. The rooms themselves, in my opinion, were basically fine at the time. The rooms themselves were certainly better than others I've seen at other properties flying the same flag (franchise).

Anyway, how different does the fact that it's a natural disaster make the concept of supply and demand? We charged rates that the property itself almost certainly did not justify, but that was as a function of supply and demand. We charged in accordance with trying to maximize room revenues.

That's not to say we never, "Did the right thing," as long as we had rooms just sitting there anyway. If a family was traveling about and had their car break down with very little cash, we'd give them a room for next to nothing. On a few occasions, a couple would need separated (at home) because both were drunk and getting into it, so the cops would call and ask if we could hook the guy up with a ridiculously low rate---and we'd do it, if we had plenty of availability anyway and the guy promised not to tell anyone how little he paid.

I know that I'd be faking some rooms as Out-of-Order or temporarily check them in as, "Comped," to someone who doesn't exist to kill my online inventory. No question about that. Reservations are going to be phone-call or walk-in only, cannot be cancelled and I'm sure as hell not having anyone stay on points or paying 20% of the rate to a third-party booking company.

Those things aside, I think I'd just leave the rates where they would normally be. I'd probably just take the unexpected sellout and be happy with that.
I've read that drug cartels are the closest example of true capitalism that we have today.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 18th, 2021 at 2:23:52 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: petroglyph
I've read that drug cartels are the closest example of true capitalism that we have today.

Probably, but they sometimes take, "Eliminate the competition," a bit more literally than one might like.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 18th, 2021 at 2:51:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146

Okay, so the question is really what might constitute, "Exorbitant or excessive." I think that's really tough to say because, right or wrong, prices are simply going to go up when you have millions of people who might be looking for perhaps tens of thousands of available guest rooms.

Obviously, such a massive power outage is an extremely rare situation, which is something that we never had to deal with during the time I worked at either of the two hotels that I used to. I'm not sure that we ever had any power outage that would have sold us out within minutes, or anything. The only time a power outage might have resulted in such a thing, we were already nearly sold out anyway (so our rates were already about as high as we ever went) and people refused to pay them and accused us of price gouging...even though the rates (at that particular time) hadn't been changed in weeks.

What do you guys think, "The right thing," is to do in this situation? Should the hotels just keep their, "Normal rates," as if nothing in the world was happening, should they be allowed to charge whatever they want?

I have no problem with load factor pricing. Two reasons. First is it self-rations. Lets say a family goes and decides the kids need their own room because the regular rack rate is say $120/night. If it goes to $200/night all of the sudden the kids can make do in the same room. This is the same thing as the $48 case of bottled water. People paying $2 a bottle all year all of the sudden scream that it is the same $2 but now no case discount. But if they buy a whole case then someone else does not get to buy a bottle. At $2 a bottle maybe they need just 3 not 24 bottles.

The other end is the proprietor. They are not a charity. This thing is costing them extra money now and likely lost business later. A good example here is a gas station in a hurricane. Street price goes up $0.50/gal. It has to because the next tanker is $0.60 a gallon higher and the poor owner has to cover this.
The President is a fink.
February 18th, 2021 at 3:56:15 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Mission, I think I would charge the highest rate that I charge during a normal year. If the rates are $300 during some big convention I would feel justified charging that now as it is a rate that I already get occasionally.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 18th, 2021 at 5:28:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: ams288
Poor ted. Didn’t get the upgrade.

He really got burned. He said in one interview he was only going there one night because the kids wanted to go and he was going to drop them off. Then in a later interview when they found out he had booked through Saturday. he changed his story that he was going until Saturday for the same reason. THEN reporters got his wife's texts to friends where she said on Wednesday they were going to Cancun because they were freezing. On top of that, Cruz had lambasted another politician for going to Cabo.

New names, Lyin', Flyin' Cruz, and Fled Ted
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 18th, 2021 at 6:27:03 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
He really got burned. He said in one interview he was only going there one night because the kids wanted to go

Wow
Instead of just admitting a mistake
He throws his own kids under the bus
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 18th, 2021 at 6:29:13 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine

New names, Lyin', Flyin' Cruz, and Fled Ted

Excellent. So a politician, Ted Cruz, is a hypocrite! And a liar! In other news, water is wet.
February 18th, 2021 at 6:47:26 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
Excellent. So a politician, Ted Cruz, is a hypocrite! And a liar! In other news, water is wet.

Its worse
The entire planet knows he abandoned the ship
He's is a famous hypocrite! And a famous liar
And
Some politicians really do care such as Beto. He was working on wellness checks for seniors
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 18th, 2021 at 8:02:14 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Its worse
The entire planet knows he abandoned the ship
He's is a famous hypocrite! And a famous liar
And
Some politicians really do care such as Beto. He was working on wellness checks for seniors

It’s almost like Pinocchio. Each attempt a justification his nose gets a little bit longer.
As far as Beto... just his fake name says all you need to know about him! Robert Francis O’Rourke is of course trying to use a disaster for political gain. In other news, water is wet!
February 18th, 2021 at 8:19:54 PM permalink
terapined
Quote: SOOPOO
In other news, water is wet!

Except for Chuck Norris
When Chuck Norris jumps into water, Chuck Norris does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris
Other Chuckie faves
Chuck Norris does not sleep, Chuck Norris waits
When Chuck Norris does pushups, he is not pushing himself up, he is pushing the Earth down
Chuck Norris can describe a book just by looking at its cover
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.