In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 21st, 2020 at 4:16:46 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Armed right wing mob in oregon
I thought we were told this wouldn't happen
https://www.thedailybeast.com/heavily-armed-far-right-mob-descends-on-oregon-capitol
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 21st, 2020 at 6:01:12 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: Mission146
I'm guessing she doesn't and she wouldn't. She saw the, "Dr.," before Jill Biden's name, assumed she was a medical doctor and then proceeded to make a statement that had no logical foundation whatsoever.

As far as the people who clapped are concerned, they applaud when the little light tells them to...and even if not...they almost certainly don't know what sort of doctor Jill Biden is.

And, does anyone really take Whoopi seriously? Is that the concern? Meghan McCain is probably the smartest of the lot of them...so not really a high bar there. "The View," is what would happen if Tucker Carlson and the Sally Jesse Raphael talk show had a mostly liberal baby. A paycheck is a paycheck, but the entire ensemble consists of barely relevant High-C listers...and sometimes the daughters of people of mild political import.

Anyone turning to the show for legitimate political discourse probably deserves to believe that Jill Biden should be the Surgeon General.

Sad thing is, I like Whoopi Goldberg. Have to love Guinan on TNG and I remember thinking the movie Corrina, Corrina, was pretty okay when I was a kid.

She was good in some older comedy movies. I have nothing against her as an actor.

As for her politicts, I don’t watch the view, but I have seen clips and I have never heard her say something wise (most of the time cringe), and I generally "am on the same side".

And, older political shows when she did interviews more often in the 90s and early 2000s, she seemed totally out of her league, but eager to say some nonsensical feel good phrases (she used to be on Bill Maher's old show occasionally). I don't understand why people are so impressed by her as a "political mind".

And, saying "She is a great doctor" and "would be a great surgeon general" just hammers in the point that she knows nothing even surface level about Jill Biden (or how becoming Surgeon General works).... One of the most insane things that I have heard in recent days (and that is a high bar).... For somebody making that kind of money to talk about politicts you would think she could take 5 minutes to look at Biden's wiki page when you know you will he talking about her......

She just strikes me that she always has to have something to say about every topic regardless of knowledge base, but never wants to spend an ounce of effort to research the issue at hand (and again this issue just personifies it)....

Here is a great example from the late 90s I believe, with Christopher Hitchens, Dennis Prager, Gene Simmons, Bill Maher and Whoopi Goldberg discussing the Vietnam War and Communism. (spoiler she seems totally lost, and includes the quote "I am not sure communism is necessarily a bad thing" when asked to compare wars against Nazis to wars against communism.....)

https://youtu.be/vzUR43N_pEY
December 21st, 2020 at 6:10:34 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: JimRockford
Doc Ellis claimed he pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid.

I think Doc Gooden did it on cocaine.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 22nd, 2020 at 2:25:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64
Armed right wing mob in oregon
I thought we were told this wouldn't happen
https://www.thedailybeast.com/heavily-armed-far-right-mob-descends-on-oregon-capitol

Haven't you heard? Violence is considered no big deal there.
The President is a fink.
December 22nd, 2020 at 7:15:48 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler

And, older political shows when she did interviews more often in the 90s and early 2000s, she seemed totally out of her league, but eager to say some nonsensical feel good phrases (she used to be on Bill Maher's old show occasionally). I don't understand why people are so impressed by her as a "political mind".

(Quote clipped, relevance.)

Well, that's easy. She's black, a woman, a fairly well-known actress and has used the word, "Politics," in a sentence. She's also quite liberal, which Hollywood likes.

To be clear, I don't have a negative opinion of her at all. She'd be outstanding on a celebrity gossip show, or something along those lines.

Get Kate Mulgrew on there and I'd probably watch...she's brilliant. You'd still have someone extremely liberal, but also very politically intelligent, whether you agree or disagree with her.

Quote:
And, saying "She is a great doctor" and "would be a great surgeon general" just hammers in the point that she knows nothing even surface level about Jill Biden (or how becoming Surgeon General works).... One of the most insane things that I have heard in recent days (and that is a high bar).... For somebody making that kind of money to talk about politicts you would think she could take 5 minutes to look at Biden's wiki page when you know you will he talking about her......

Why? Do you think anyone watching that show regularly or the producers even really care?

Quote:
She just strikes me that she always has to have something to say about every topic regardless of knowledge base, but never wants to spend an ounce of effort to research the issue at hand (and again this issue just personifies it)....

That's a fair assessment, I think.

Quote:
Here is a great example from the late 90s I believe, with Christopher Hitchens, Dennis Prager, Gene Simmons, Bill Maher and Whoopi Goldberg discussing the Vietnam War and Communism. (spoiler she seems totally lost, and includes the quote "I am not sure communism is necessarily a bad thing" when asked to compare wars against Nazis to wars against communism.....)

https://youtu.be/vzUR43N_pEY

She probably was lost. She's out of her element. I don't even think The View is meant to pretend to be about serious political discourse...it's basically an entertainment show that uses politics as a theme. Who would be entertained by it? Not me, but I guess enough people are for it to stay on the air.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 22nd, 2020 at 10:21:31 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146

She probably was lost. She's out of her element. I don't even think The View is meant to pretend to be about serious political discourse...it's basically an entertainment show that uses politics as a theme. Who would be entertained by it? Not me, but I guess enough people are for it to stay on the air.

I’d say it was more about the leading news stories of the day, rather than just one theme. Barbara Walters didn’t want her hires to appear too daft, which apparently is why she axed an early member of the original group. But she didn’t pick experts in anything either.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 22nd, 2020 at 10:26:49 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine

I’d say it was more about the leading news stories of the day, rather than just one theme. Barbara Walters didn’t want her hires to appear too daft, which apparently is why she axed an early member of the original group. But she didn’t pick experts in anything either.

That's probably true. I've barely watched it, and when it does come up, it's usually in the context of some political take one of them made...so I guess it's now my turn to speak in an unqualified way. In any case, still would absolutely not be my go-to source for takes on current events, political or otherwise.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 22nd, 2020 at 2:43:29 PM permalink
HotDog
Threads: 0
December 22nd, 2020 at 5:24:27 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: HotDog

The last link is quite salient.

I have long been saying Trump will be in the bottom two Presidents in history by historical rankings after he leaves office. I do not think history will be kind to him (nor should it be). He may manage to beat James Buchanan in some rankings (depending on the organization), so well done President Trump!

The one ranking I can find has him at 44 with the footnote that it is subject to change as he is still in office.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/816048/presidential-greatness-survey-scores-in-the-us/

(This ranking was in 2018 before COVID and before many other controversies, and when he was at his "popularity high" so I don't think that he can plan on much better scores from other the same or other orgs post-presidency....).
December 22nd, 2020 at 9:58:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
South Korea on Tuesday said it had scrambled fighter jets after nearly 20 Russian and Chinese military aircraft entered its air defense identification zone.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/fighters-scrambled-after-russian-chinese-military-aircraft-enter-south-korean-defense-zone/ar-BB1c8Q3r?ocid=msedgntp

Hopefully nothing too serious will happen in the world for the next 30 days, because our leader Trump is busy having a hissy fit.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?