In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

December 21st, 2020 at 12:23:41 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Gorka has a Phd, but apparently there is some controversy about its legitimacy.
See the controversy section of
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Gorka
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
December 21st, 2020 at 12:40:46 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
People???????
How about 1 person on the entire planet of Earth.
Except for that whoopi clip
Nobody is saying she should be the Surgeon General.

I don't know much about Goldberg, except that she has a lot of fans, and people clapped when she said that. I have not seen that clip until now. But, when somebody says "She is a great Doctor she would make a great Surgeon General" its pretty clear she is trying to push to her audience that she is a medical Doctor or at the very least some medically related scientist.... I don't know if she believes that or not... But, to me it comes off as her trying to push the idea of Jill Biden being a medical doctor... (Also, if she doesn't know Jill Biden how would she know that she is "a great doctor")?
December 21st, 2020 at 1:02:52 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: Gandler
I don't know much about Goldberg, except that she has a lot of fans, and people clapped when she said that. I have not seen that clip until now. But, when somebody says "She is a great Doctor she would make a great Surgeon General" its pretty clear she is trying to push to her audience that she is a medical Doctor or at the very least some medically related scientist.... I don't know if she believes that or not... But, to me it comes off as her trying to push the idea of Jill Biden being a medical doctor... (Also, if she doesn't know Jill Biden how would she know that she is "a great doctor")?

I'm guessing she doesn't and she wouldn't. She saw the, "Dr.," before Jill Biden's name, assumed she was a medical doctor and then proceeded to make a statement that had no logical foundation whatsoever.

As far as the people who clapped are concerned, they applaud when the little light tells them to...and even if not...they almost certainly don't know what sort of doctor Jill Biden is.

And, does anyone really take Whoopi seriously? Is that the concern? Meghan McCain is probably the smartest of the lot of them...so not really a high bar there. "The View," is what would happen if Tucker Carlson and the Sally Jesse Raphael talk show had a mostly liberal baby. A paycheck is a paycheck, but the entire ensemble consists of barely relevant High-C listers...and sometimes the daughters of people of mild political import.

Anyone turning to the show for legitimate political discourse probably deserves to believe that Jill Biden should be the Surgeon General.

Sad thing is, I like Whoopi Goldberg. Have to love Guinan on TNG and I remember thinking the movie Corrina, Corrina, was pretty okay when I was a kid.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
December 21st, 2020 at 1:14:59 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Outside of a medical environment I don't refer to anyone by their title. Even my back surgeon is just Vladimir when I see him outside the office.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 21st, 2020 at 1:36:19 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
Outside of a medical environment I don't refer to anyone by their title. Even my back surgeon is just Vladimir when I see him outside the office.

I will break a rule..... but DRich has confided in me that Putin performed his surgery...

I will say that some just call me ‘Doc’ when playing basketball... ant because of my similarities to Julius Erving...
December 21st, 2020 at 2:03:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
I agree, I tend to think anyone who introduces themselves as "Dr. John Smith" etc... in social settings tends to be stuck up, unless there is a valid reason to make their medical experience known, but if they are a random PhD (or EdD) and not a medical doctor they tend to just be full of themselves (because there is no reason I need to know somebody has a PhD in Theology or an EdD or whatever in a social setting etc...)

I would add to take Dentists and maybe some psychologists (PsyD I think?) who I think qualify as medical. I am not big on formal titles so I don't even really like when people introduce themselves as "Mr. James Smith", etc... What's the point? I am fine with just your first name....

Dentists yes. Psychologists NO. Psychiatrists yes.
The President is a fink.
December 21st, 2020 at 2:09:22 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
Dentists yes. Psychologists NO. Psychiatrists yes.

Never mind I misread that as Psychiatrists NO and Psychiatrists YES. That would have been funnier.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
December 21st, 2020 at 3:05:01 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: SOOPOO
I will break a rule..... but DRich has confided in me that Putin performed his surgery...

I will say that some just call me ‘Doc’ when playing basketball... ant because of my similarities to Julius Erving...

Sometimes Doc is simply a nickname and I wouldn't use any other name then Doc
I'm a huge Doc Watson fan
What a beautiful deep voice
Got to see him quite a few times
One time sitting in with Dolly Parton
He was blind
RIP Doc
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
December 21st, 2020 at 3:18:38 PM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: terapined
Sometimes Doc is simply a nickname and I wouldn't use any other name then Doc
I'm a huge Doc Watson fan
What a beautiful deep voice
Got to see him quite a few times
One time sitting in with Dolly Parton
He was blind
RIP Doc

Doc Ellis claimed he pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
December 21st, 2020 at 3:41:58 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
Doc Ellis claimed he pitched a no-hitter while tripping on acid.

Let's not forget Dr J
He operates on the other team
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"