In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

May 31st, 2020 at 4:09:44 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: DRich
I would offer to go even if the odds of survival were 50/50.

I would guess the odds of survival have to approach 99%. But I'd bet it is more risky than getting COVID-19 on purpose if you are a middle aged healthy astronaut. I think I would go now if offered the option. When younger, I wouldn't have taken the risk. I think once your kids are fully grown adults your fear of dying lessens.
May 31st, 2020 at 5:01:40 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: SOOPOO
I would guess the odds of survival have to approach 99%. But I'd bet it is more risky than getting COVID-19 on purpose if you are a middle aged healthy astronaut. I think I would go now if offered the option. When younger, I wouldn't have taken the risk. I think once your kids are fully grown adults your fear of dying lessens.

I heard a statistic that the SpaceX manned rocket had to be less than 1 out of 240 launches without a catastrophic result to be a go (estimated of course). So that must be considered the level of reasonableness they are using.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 1st, 2020 at 5:04:55 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I heard a statistic that the SpaceX manned rocket had to be less than 1 out of 240 launches without a catastrophic result to be a go (estimated of course). So that must be considered the level of reasonableness they are using.

There are way more ways to die on this mission than just a catastrophic launch. Certain medical conditions easily treated here are fatal there. A spacesuit failure may take only one astronaut.
June 1st, 2020 at 5:55:52 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I'm deeply anti-Fascist. The US Government considers me a terrorist.
The thought police are here
That's why anything domestic in the past has never been officially been determined to be a terrorist group
I'm anti-fascist. I should have a right to have that view
I should not be arrested due to my political views
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
June 1st, 2020 at 6:52:25 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: terapined
That's why anything domestic in the past has never been officially been determined to be a terrorist group

We will allow you to be anti-facist as long as you stay in your home and don't break curfew.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 1st, 2020 at 7:18:55 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: terapined

Dear Lord...what an utterly dumb post.

No one is going to arrest you for thoughts or even statements about being against facists.

Fund them committing crimes, go commit crimes yourself...that is a different story.

Nobody is saying that you can't think or say whatever you want to say as long as you don't harm other people like the idiots out there are.
June 1st, 2020 at 7:25:17 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Did anybody else see Rudy Giuliani on Fox last night? He was channelling his inner Shrek and blaming the riots on the weak democratic mayors that wouldn't take a stand against the violence and let it get away on them. He was also lamenting the fact that all his hard work cleaning up NYC is pretty much destroyed now.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 1st, 2020 at 7:41:43 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
We will allow you to be anti-facist as long as you stay in your home and don't break curfew.
Quote: RonC
Dear Lord...what an utterly dumb post.

No one is going to arrest you for thoughts or even statements about being against facists.

LOL, a double SLAM!! 🤣🤣🤣

June 1st, 2020 at 8:28:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
Did anybody else see Rudy Giuliani on Fox last night? He was channelling his inner Shrek and blaming the riots on the weak democratic mayors that wouldn't take a stand against the violence and let it get away on them. He was also lamenting the fact that all his hard work cleaning up NYC is pretty much destroyed now.

NYC was bound to be destroyed. The left thought he was "mean" to people. The average person now has no real memory of the sewer NYC was 1965-mid 1990s. Rudy did such a good job cleaning the mess that it skewed the national crime numbers down. Alas, it takes a grown-up to run NYC. Rudy was a grown-up. Today we have people that think bail is "mean" so they are letting criminals right out on OR. Down the drain NYC will go again.
The President is a fink.
June 1st, 2020 at 8:35:35 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: kenarman
He was channelling his inner Shrek and blaming the riots on the weak democratic mayors that wouldn't take a stand against the violence and let it get away on them.

Did he too call for the genocide of NYC “libbies?“
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman