In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

January 16th, 2020 at 4:16:16 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: DRich
but I abhore almost all fiction and I think the HP series is fiction.

Not a fictional movie fan?
To me a movie is a visual book. Its about the fictional story. If its a good story, will enjoy it in book and or movie form
I enjoy fictional movies and documentaries just as I enjoy fiction and non-fiction books
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
January 17th, 2020 at 7:50:14 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: SOOPOO
People of course can't change their biological sex, but they can use hormones/surgery to mimic the opposite sex. And thus making it easier for them to feel comfortable in their own bodies. As a conservative, I assume you support individuals making decisions about their own bodies without the government interfering?

I am against transgender women competing in sports (college/professional) against biological women. Unless a biological male would be allowed to compete as well.

I sort of question the medical ethicality of any elective surgery - gender reassignment, breast augmentation, face lifts, etc.

I have no doubt that gender dysphoria is a real condition, and not something someone chooses for attention or other reason. But I have to wonder whether permanent gender reassignment surgery is an ethical treatment. Especially considering feelings of regret and suicide rates are very high post gender reassignment.

Many say that hormone therapy and counseling are not effective treatments, but very few psychologists or behavioral scientists are willing to do real research on the subject, out of fear their careers will be ruined if they come up with any findings that don’t perfectly fit a politically correct narrative.

There is a disorder called Body Integrity Identity Disorder where an individual has the overwhelming feeling that a particular limb does not belong. Should people be able to have perfectly healthy limbs amputated because some wiring is crossed in their brain?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19132621/
January 17th, 2020 at 10:10:41 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: gamerfreak
I sort of question the medical ethicality of any elective surgery - gender reassignment, breast augmentation, face lifts, etc.

I have no doubt that gender dysphoria is a real condition, and not something someone chooses for attention or other reason. But I have to wonder whether permanent gender reassignment surgery is an ethical treatment. Especially considering feelings of regret and suicide rates are very high post gender reassignment.

Many say that hormone therapy and counseling are not effective treatments, but very few psychologists or behavioral scientists are willing to do real research on the subject, out of fear their careers will be ruined if they come up with any findings that don’t perfectly fit a politically correct narrative.

There is a disorder called Body Integrity Identity Disorder where an individual has the overwhelming feeling that a particular limb does not belong. Should people be able to have perfectly healthy limbs amputated because some wiring is crossed in their brain?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19132621/

Great post. As you may know, I have been involved with taking care of gender reassignment patients for the last decade or so. I felt no ethical dilemma. To me it was an individual rights issue. You must be aware that to get to that point there are a battery of tests, doctors, therapists, that the individual has to go through first. They get the hormone treatment months if not years before they come to surgery.
I am happy I've never been asked to be involved with Body Integrity thing you mention. Of course I can't be sure, but I think if that patient made it through all the psychiatric tests and were deemed competant and capable of a true informed consent, I would have participated.
I am for physician assisted suicide at an "easier" standard than most. Individual rights. Individual responsibility.
January 17th, 2020 at 12:06:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://news.antiwar.com/2020/01/15/iraq-pm-backs-off-expelling-us-troops/

For now, US troops stay in Iraq and aren't there against the will of Iraqi gov., so the claim that the US is "occupying" is off the table.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
January 17th, 2020 at 12:17:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: petroglyph
https://news.antiwar.com/2020/01/15/iraq-pm-backs-off-expelling-us-troops/

For now, US troops stay in Iraq and aren't there against the will of Iraqi gov.

Quote:
After repeated threats from President Trump to sanction Iraq, to seize its primary bank account, and cut all military aid, Iraqi PM Adel Abdul-Mahdi has backed away from calls to expel US troops from Iraq.

Not sure what you consider willful agreement. Kinda like having your fingers stuck in a drawer with a guy ready to kick it shut on them if you don't agree.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 17th, 2020 at 12:30:31 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Is this the "actual crime" you guys were waiting for?

Quote:
The U.S. federal government’s auditing agency has concluded that the White House Office of Management and Budget violated the law when it withheld aid to Ukraine in the summer of 2019.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
January 17th, 2020 at 12:55:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
Vote smart and honest, not Trump the butt plug.

What's hilarious is, Trump was
great before he ran for office.
A much wanted guest on late
night shows, had a hit TV show
for 10 years. Nobody had a
bad word to say about him.

That's why all the degrading
things people say now are
so meaningless. They aren't
real, they come from childish
hate and anger.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 17th, 2020 at 1:00:47 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: Evenbob
What's hilarious is, Trump was
great before he ran for office.
A much wanted guest on late
night shows, had a hit TV show
for 10 years. Nobody had a
bad word to say about him.

That's why all the degrading
things people say now are
so meaningless. They aren't
real, they come from childish
hate and anger.

Not true. My wife and I used to watch The Apprentice. I think it was around Season 2, maybe 3, that we realized he was a pig. One comment stuck out to me where he told an attractive female contestant, can't remember her name, that "it would be a pretty sight, you on your knees". I might look for the clip but probably won't waste my time. You'll probably think he's cool.
January 17th, 2020 at 1:03:26 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Found it:

January 17th, 2020 at 1:09:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Tripdufan
Not true. My wife and I

Who cares about your wife and you.
Trump was a hugely popular guest
on late night, Lena and Letterman
have said as much. Howard Stern
had him on over 40 times, the
audience loved him. And you don't
a hit TV show for 10 years when
the audience hates you.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.