In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

September 10th, 2019 at 9:46:29 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Quote: rxwine
But you have said it should be okay for a business to discriminate against anyone, so doesn't that require people establish their own business?

Here is a peer-reviewed study

From the University of Chicago Law Review, Volume 86, Number 1, January 2019
https://lawreview.uchicago.edu/publication/empirical-analysis-sexual-orientation-discrimination

the opening paragraph
Quote:
This study is the first to empirically demonstrate widespread discrimination across the United States based on perceived sexual orientation, sex, and race in mortgage lending. Our analysis of over five million mortgage applications reveals that any Fair Housing Administration (FHA) loan application filed by same-sex male co-applicants is significantly less likely to be approved compared to the white heterosexual baseline (holding lending risk constant). The most likely explanation for this pattern is sexual orientation–based discrimination—despite the fact that FHA loans are the only type of loan in which discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation is prohibited.

as for a specific example of discrimination, from the study:
Quote:
Twenty years ago, a gay couple entered their local bank in Arroyo Grande, California to ask for a mortgage loan. Excited, they filled out the application. But the festive event took a surprising turn. The couple was quickly asked to leave and even close their existing accounts. “It was bank policy,” so they learned, “not to offer home loans to gay applicants.

But I don't think there is much value in pointing out various individual examples of discrimination.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
September 10th, 2019 at 9:50:39 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
Seems like a legitimate reason as someone has stated right here on this board that it is okay to discriminate against someone if you own a business.

Smart business is to find niche markets where people are underserved and serve those people and make a profit
Conservatives should be fine with that. Its business. Its freedom
Unless the niche market is Gays, then AZ and Shrek have a meltdown. Really weird the hate from them over somebody trying to make a profit simply because their customer base happens to be gay
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 10th, 2019 at 9:54:06 AM permalink
Shrek
Threads: 6
Quote: AZDuffman
Yet again, you miss the point of what is happening. Yet again you twist the point.

It is not about a gay starting a credit union, statistically 1 of any 50 credit unions were started by a gay. But what is happening is a credit union catering to gays is being started. I am guessing you do not know that credit union members must have a "common bond" such as same employer, etc. This credit union is being started for gays, so the "common bond" to gain membership is logically you must be gay.

So, can we start a credit union where you must be straight to join? Given how gays cannot handle Chick-Fil-A I doubt it.

Haha, I blocked all their asses but it was soooooooo satisfying to watch AZ dismantle the libbies arguments with surgical precision. 😂

Like you said, the gays cannot handle Chick Fil A. Whenever anyone mentions them, the gays shut their eyes, bare their teeth, shake their clenched fists up & down violently in front of them, and scream at the top of their lungs "BIGOT! BIGOT! BIGOT! BIGOT! BIGOT!" 🤣🤣🤣

And they would do the same thing if someone opened a Straight Credit Union!!
September 10th, 2019 at 9:58:25 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Donald tweets out that he has fired John Bolton.

John Bolton texts Fox News hosts as they are on air claiming he resigned last night, he was not fired.

lol what a clown show.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 10th, 2019 at 10:23:44 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64
Here is a peer-reviewed study

From the University of Chicago Law Review, Volume 86, Number 1, January 2019
https://lawreview.uchicago.edu/publication/empirical-analysis-sexual-orientation-discrimination

the opening paragraph

as for a specific example of discrimination, from the study:

But I don't think there is much value in pointing out various individual examples of discrimination.

I do not have time to dissect an entire study, but the sniff test fails. I will assume "Fair Housing Administration" is a typo as it is "Federal Housing Administration" that has mortgage products. But it does say something if they get something that simple wrong.

Some reasons I do not buy their claim? First, since the 1990s, mortgages are auto-underwritten, as are other loans. For a mortgage you use DU or LP depending on who you sell to. You plug in the data and you get a decision and stips that must be met. Then you work to meet them, after which manual underwriting happens.

If income or appraisal are weak then the loan may be declined. Gays tend to live in higher priced real estate markets, at least the males. This means income must be higher, which could be reason for decline. Just one thing. I have not seen any study of credit ratings of gays compared to straights, but I see no reason for it to be higher.

Call me a skeptic.
The President is a fink.
September 10th, 2019 at 10:31:05 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
But what is happening is a credit union catering to gays is being started. .

So how do you prove you're Gay.
Who's to say you're not. Do you
have to perform fellatio on the
manager to get in?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 10th, 2019 at 10:51:10 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob
So how do you prove you're Gay.
Who's to say you're not. Do you
have to perform fellatio on the
manager to get in?

As has already been discussed, straights would be welcomed. No need to prove anything.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
September 10th, 2019 at 11:10:45 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: ams288
As has already been discussed, straights would be welcomed. No need to prove anything.

Exactly
You open a business to service the niche gay market, ALL customers are welcome :-)
Lets say I go into the business to sell gay pride flags. Anybody straight wants to buy one, I'll sell. Capitalism
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 10th, 2019 at 11:45:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288

But why would I want to be
a member. How ridiculous.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 10th, 2019 at 11:56:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
But why would I want to be
a member. How ridiculous.

The whole concept is ridiculous. What's next? A black credit union where "all are welcome?"
The President is a fink.