Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

April 17th, 2015 at 10:56:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
April 17th, 2015 at 1:25:40 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
One of the Universities near me is raising funds to replace their meteorological data collection system, ie their weather station. The current station is about 30 years old. Although it is still functional their respresentative on the radio indicated that "IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR RESEARCH".

My question on the annual average temperature has always been how is this calculated. No one has ever been able to answer this for me. If a 30 year old collection centre in Canada is not good enough anymore how much unreliable data is making it into the calculations. How can we have faith with data older than 30 years.

Related to this and I would love someone to be able to explain how the calculation is made statistically. Possible data collection points are not anywhere close to evenly spaced over the globe. Is it an average of all data points? Is it defaulted so that each data point is given the same area? If so who decides which data to throw out for those areas with multiple collection points. Do we feed it into some algorithm. Algorithms by there nature always have a bias depending on who wrote them.

The floor is open to those who might have answers to these questions.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 17th, 2015 at 1:33:11 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman

The floor is open to those who might have answers to these questions.

This is a huge reason I am a skeptic. In many places in the USA they switched from reading temps in the city to the airport in the late 1940 or so. It usually is a few degrees different for many reasons. Anyone who has been around and still uses common sense has experienced going a few miles away and the same thing happens. Over a hill, nearer a lake, you name it.

Most of the data is if not unreliable then is less than reliable. And we are to believe a prediction on this?
The President is a fink.
April 17th, 2015 at 2:28:39 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I think they answer some of those questions here:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/monitoring-references/faq/anomalies.php

I believe it says they are measuring the departure from average at any given point, and averaging that, rather than taking the average of the actual temperatures measured at all points.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
June 12th, 2015 at 7:03:54 AM permalink
AZDuffman
August 12th, 2015 at 1:29:48 PM permalink
AZDuffman
The President is a fink.
September 28th, 2015 at 11:55:36 AM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Citibank, Chase, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, and Wells Fargo are urging world leaders to adopt a strong agreement to slash carbon emissions and tackle climate change. Apparently, doing nothing about carbon is actually riskier for the banks than taking action

The bankers are either:
A) gullible fools
B) in on the conspiracy to tax carbon and thereby destroy the world economy
C) sober realists who have accepted the magnitude of the problem

I'm predicting that the Republican Party will stubbornly continue to deny the truth and ignore reality. But with the U.S. military and the big banks on board, the Republicans will become increasingly isolated.
September 28th, 2015 at 12:13:43 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: reno
Citibank, Chase, Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, and Wells Fargo are urging world leaders to adopt a strong agreement to slash carbon emissions and tackle climate change. Apparently, doing nothing about carbon is actually riskier for the banks than taking action

The bankers are either:
A) gullible fools
B) in on the conspiracy to tax carbon and thereby destroy the world economy
C) sober realists who have accepted the magnitude of the problem

I'm predicting that the Republican Party will stubbornly continue to deny the truth and ignore reality. But with the U.S. military and the big banks on board, the Republicans will become increasingly isolated.

The banks are backing it because it will allow their investment arms to make a fortune trading the carbon credits. Follow the money! Every global warming "solution" is about taking your money and freedom.

AGW remains the largest scam of our lifetimes. Hopefully more and more of the population wakes up and thinks for themselves.
The President is a fink.
September 28th, 2015 at 2:00:02 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
Quote: AZDuffman
Every global warming "solution" is about taking your money and freedom.

Is the U.S. military trying to take away our money and freedom? You should read this article, AZ.

Your ideology is clouding your judgement. Read the article.
September 28th, 2015 at 2:20:15 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: reno

Your ideology is clouding your judgement. Read the article.

And you can read this article from the
same mag that show extreme weather
events have drastically declined, not
increased, which is what the military
is concerned about.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2013/05/08/sorry-global-warmists-but-extreme-weather-events-are-becoming-less-extreme/

Where are the killer tornados and hurricanes that
are supposed to be rampant because of GW? They
are in record DECLINE for years, how can that be?
Facts confuse Warmers, they put their hands over
their ears and run away. Like this factoid: Killer
tornados are at a record LOW in recent years:

http://www.ustornadoes.com/2015/09/21/ef3-and-stronger-tornado-numbers-are-running-near-historic-lows-in-2015/

And:
"Scientists at Colorado State University, including the professor who pioneered hurricane seasonal prognostication, say they are seeing a localized COOLING and salinity level drop in the North Atlantic near Greenland. Those conditions, they theorize, change local weather and ocean patterns and form an on-again, off-again cycle in hurricane activity that they trace back to the late 1800s."

It's historical, it's nothing new, the cycle
has been going on for eons. Oh well..

Also, my son is a Major in the AF and in the
18 years he's been in the service, nobody has
mentioned GW even one time that he remembers.
Yeah, there's a big concern, right..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.