Remember When

August 18th, 2018 at 7:24:52 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

Interesting, but what's the point of it.
What practical use does a lens that
big have.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 18th, 2018 at 9:16:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: zippyboy
Cracked was a Mad rip-off, and never as good as Mad. History will never remember Cracked, I'm surprised you even mention it.

You're absolutely right.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 18th, 2018 at 9:24:19 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: rxwine

That was a good video, but no. Mine is a thin flat screen I purchased from aHigh. I had a TV just like the one in the video and I too was eager to get rid of it. Fortunately, my house cleaner took it off my hands, although it was a major epic getting it into a the pick-up truck she showed up with.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 19th, 2018 at 2:30:32 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
That was a good video, but no. Mine is a thin flat screen I purchased from aHigh. I had a TV just like the one in the video and I too was eager to get rid of it. Fortunately, my house cleaner took it off my hands, although it was a major epic getting it into a the pick-up truck she showed up with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustin-Jean_Fresnel
The narrator of the video keeps talking about a Fresnel lens.

But from Wikipedia both dioptric (purely refractive) and catadioptric (reflective/refractive) lenses can be called Fresnel lenses. Which one is in these TVs?
August 19th, 2018 at 5:13:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph

An owner could change about any tube except the big one.
During the depths of the Depression one man owned a radio that boomed really loud upon start up, Feynman was hired to fix it and he took all the tubes out keeping them in order but could see nothing obviously amiss so he paced the room thinking and decided to replace the tubes in the inverse order figuring the previous fiddler had made a mistake. Turned out he was right and the radio owner who was at first annoyed at the repairman being idle was impressed.

Now there are rarely tubes and certainly no testers. Its all replace rather than repair.
August 19th, 2018 at 5:13:13 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: petroglyph

An owner could change about any tube except the big one.
During the depths of the Depression one man owned a radio that boomed really loud upon start up, Feynman was hired to fix it and he took all the tubes out keeping them in order but could see nothing obviously amiss so he paced the room thinking and decided to replace the tubes in the inverse order figuring the previous fiddler had made a mistake. Turned out he was right and the radio owner who was at first annoyed at the repairman being idle was impressed.

Now there are rarely tubes and certainly no testers. Its all replace rather than repair.
August 19th, 2018 at 6:19:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

But you hardly even have to repair anymore. I've junked several good TVs the past few years as they were picture tube jobs that would just not give up the ghost. Ironically, I junked a big-screen that had barely 10 years of use. Loved the pic/pic when I got it for football, then used that feature just a few times. Don't even see it on sets anymore, or just don't notice.

That old-school repairman is how my job works. Many is the time I get a coffee, take a walk, or whatever when I cannot find the instrument I need. While I am gone, the gnomes somehow sneak in and put it there.
The President is a fink.
October 31st, 2018 at 3:26:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Had to get a new microwave, I keep forgetting
they aren't expensive anymore. In 1982 a small
cheap one was over $200. Now you can get a
decent one for $50. I got my first VCR in 82,
it was $1200 and it did nothing except
record one show and it had a mechanical
tuner. I must have really wanted it, $1200
was a ton on money in 82.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 31st, 2018 at 3:45:19 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Remember when we all drank FCOJ for breakfast? When I was in the grocery business we had all kinds of facings for frozen concentrate of not just OJ but other fruit juices. It made sense, they kept longer. Now everyone thinks they need fresh. Down to just a few facings and you have to look for it in the store. Amazing as FCOJ was a huge breakthru when introduced.
The President is a fink.
October 31st, 2018 at 4:53:21 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Orange juice from concentrates is usually five years old and contains undisclosed flavor enhancers.

"Fresh" orange juice comes from concentrate up to one year old and the carton will not inform the consumer about eight added chemicals.