Spanish Word of the Day

August 23rd, 2014 at 11:49:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 24-8-14
Palabra: Cachorro

Today's SWD means puppy.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to explain why the word for kitten is gatito (small cat), but there is a distinct word (not just a suffix) for puppy. Furthermore, suppose there were two cats, one kitten and one small adult cat. How would you differentiate them in Spanish?

Ejemplo time.

¿Cuanto cuesta esto charhorro en la ventana? = How much is that puppy in the window?

I think there is a separate word for "window" as in a shop window, in Spanish, but I can't remember what it is. Since there is no direct translation in English, it is difficult to look up.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 24th, 2014 at 7:05:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
A shop window is called an "escaparate".

The word is derived from Basque txakur, xakur : South Corsican ghjacaru , Sardinian giagaru.

English word "cat" is from ancient times, but "puss" is roughly 500 years old. The word "kitten" is about 600 years old. Loanwords always create redundancy in language.
August 25th, 2014 at 7:15:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
A shop window is called an "escaparate".

Aparador or vitrina. Escaparate is a Spaniard term.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 25th, 2014 at 7:20:29 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Wizard
Today's SWD means plague.

Sort of. You only find it used this way in reference to the Black Death/Bubonic Plague epidemics in Europe (and the Middle east). Since it isn't used any other way, I'm hesitant to say it applies to epidemics only.

Quote:
Enviaré un peste de ranas en su pais entero. = I will send a plague of frogs on your entire country (Exodus 8:2)

UNA.

In this case the word to use is "plaga," not "peste."

In the 50s there was a fad for using rock songs in English with Spanish lyrics. Sometimes these were tranlsations, more or less, of the original. More often the lyrics in Spanish had nothing to do with the original. A song called "Good Golly Miss Molly," was quite popular well into the 70s as "Ahí Viene La Plaga." In this case it was the name of a gang.
August 25th, 2014 at 2:08:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 25-8-14
Palabra: Anodino

Correct me if I'm wrong, but today's SWD means ordinary/forgettable/not likely to cause offense.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the word anonymous.

Ejemplo time.

Soy un hombre anodino con una vida anodina. = I'm just an average man with an average life.

Extra credit for identifying the reference. Como siempre, no buscando.
August 26th, 2014 at 5:06:46 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the word anonymous.

They have a common prefix
ἀνώδυνος, = without pain
ἀνώνυμος, = without name

Anodyne has the same meaning in English. Medically, it is a painkiller, but as an adjective it means "not likely to provoke dissent or offense; inoffensive, often deliberately so".

In English we adopted an old French word meaning punishment (original meaning survives in the phrase "on pain of death") to largely replace the Old English word which became "ache".

But I would not use it "anodyne" as a synonym for "average".
August 26th, 2014 at 7:43:50 AM permalink
Nareed
I've heard of anodyne because it was a favorite word of Asimov's in his memoirs. I've never heard or read it used in Spanish in any way.

Naturally someone will try to use it at the first available opportunity and will get funny looks for their trouble.
August 26th, 2014 at 9:14:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I've never heard or read it used in Spanish in any way.

It's used pseudo-medically, such as "Anodyne Therapy", and for video games and coffee houses. I have never seen it written as an adjective.
At least I now know that The Flintstones == Los Picapiedras.
August 26th, 2014 at 9:31:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
At least I now know that The Flintstones == Los Picapiedras.

I think I quit finding the show funny once I turned 10...
August 26th, 2014 at 10:14:47 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
Naturally someone will try to use it at the first available opportunity and will get funny looks for their trouble.

"His trouble," since someone is singular.