Spanish Word of the Day

July 31st, 2014 at 8:59:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English word plasma.

¿Por que me plasmaste como así? = Why hast thou made me thus? -- Romans 9:20

The word "plasma =πλασμα" was used in Greek version from 1550. It was probably written that way (Romans was written in Greek). The majority of scholars writing on Romans propose the letter was written in years 55-57.

Stephanus New Testament (1550)
20 μενουνγε ω ανθρωπε συ τις ει ο ανταποκρινομενος τω θεω μη ερει το πλασμα τω πλασαντι τι με εποιησας ουτως

Westcott and Hort 1881 (attempt to recreate original Greek)
20 ὦ ἄνθρωπε, μενοῦνγε σὺ τίς εἶ ὁ ἀνταποκρινόμενος τῷ Θεῷ; μὴ ἐρεῖ τὸ πλάσμα τῷ πλάσαντι Τί με ἐποίησας οὕτως;

I think less esoteric verbs are used in modern Spanish translations of the bible.

Nueva Versión Internacional (NVI)
20 Respondo: ¿Quién eres tú para pedirle cuentas a Dios? «¿Acaso le dirá la olla de barro al que la modeló: “¿Por qué me hiciste así?”

It is the same word as in English, but the meaning of "liquid part of blood" is from 1845; that of "ionized gas" is 1928. These two definitions are now much more common in English than the original concept.
July 31st, 2014 at 9:19:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I don't want to start a bible study, but Romans chapter 9 puts it in context.

I actually refrained from answering with a sarcastic, yet truthful, remark, because it would upset FrGamble.

No telling where that bottled-up sarcasm will end up...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 31st, 2014 at 9:43:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The word "plasma" was used in the original Greek, so it conveys the sentiment. But even in English it was translated to "made". But perhaps your translation of "made manifest" is better. Man is complaining about being made with these characteristics.

20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed [it], Why hast thou made me thus?

20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’ 
July 31st, 2014 at 10:34:00 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
But perhaps your translation of "made manifest" is better.

I like how Joe Straczinsky (spelling mangled, of course) used the phrase in reference to a space station: "Perhaps it is magic. The magic of the human heart made manifest."

Quote:
Man is complaining about being made with these characteristics.

If there is an after life, and a creator deity fo some kind, I'd lay any odds the line at the complaints department is longer than the one for Space Mountain :)
July 31st, 2014 at 11:04:25 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
If there is an after life, and a creator deity fo some kind, I'd lay any odds the line at the complaints department is longer than the one for Space Mountain :)

Are you referring to the Space Mountain at Disneyland? If so, what is there to complain about it?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 31st, 2014 at 11:24:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Are you referring to the Space Mountain at Disneyland?

No. Space Mountain at Orlando, of course. That's the big park :)

Quote:
If so, what is there to complain about it?

Nothing. But it has a long, long, long line.
July 31st, 2014 at 9:15:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 1-8-14
Palabra: Amanecer

I previously thought that amanecer was just a noun meaning sunrise. However, it is also a verb, meaning "to dawn." In the context I found the word, it didn't mean for the sun to dawn, but a party to get started (I think).

English is full of words that can be both a noun and verb, like "mail," so I'm in no moral position to complain about it, but I'm tempted to anyway.

Ejemplo time

[Quisimos] plasmar un aspecto de la vide que a nosotros nos gusta mucho: amanecimos en una fiesta total", dijo el cantante Luis Angel Franco

This is the sentence I found today's SWD, as well as yesterday's. I'm still a little afraid to put a translation in writing.
July 31st, 2014 at 11:18:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
From October 2012
Quote: Nareed
The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast madrugada y amanecer.

Madrugada is pretty much confined to mean "very early in the day/morning," say up until sunrise. Amanecer just means the time around sunrise.

Wiktionary says that it has a specific meaning in LatAm

Verb amanecer (first-person singular present amanezco, first-person singular preterite amanecí, past participle amanecido)
  • (intransitive, impersonal) to dawn
  • to awake
  • (reflexive) to waken
  • (reflexive, Latin America) to stay awake all night
July 31st, 2014 at 11:27:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
"[Quisimos] plasmar un aspecto de la vide que a nosotros nos gusta mucho: amanecimos en una fiesta total", dijo el cantante Luis Angel Franco

Shouldn't it be "vida"?
August 1st, 2014 at 10:09:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 2-8-14
Palabra: Belicoso

Today's SWD means bellicose/aggressive.

Pause. I'm sure you're wondering what does bellicose mean in English?

According to Dictionary.com, bellicose means "inclined or eager to fight; aggressively hostile; belligerent; pugnacious."

At least I'm learning something about English as well.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast agresivo y belicoso.

Ejemplo time.

Rocky no es una horma de el zapato por la belicosidad de Drago. = Rocky is no match to the aggressiveness of Drago.