Spanish Word of the Day

February 16th, 2014 at 6:57:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Fecha: 16-2-14
Palabra: redacción

Today's SWD means essay.

No, it doesn't. The verb is "redactar" and it means to write down an event. These days it also means the way something is written. For example, if someone says "estas reglas están mal redactadas," she means the rules are poorly written (meaning they aren't clear, for example).

The word for "essay" is "ensayo." The problem is that it also means "rehearsal" and "assay."

"Redacción" can also mean "news room."

Quote:
Traté escribir mi redacción la noche atrás, pero no pude a concentrarse. = I tried to write my essay last night, but I couldn't concentrate.

You tried to write something the night behind but you couldn't to concentrate someone else?

So: "a noche ANTERIOR, pero no pude concntraME." The last part could also be "no ME pude CONCENTRAR."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 16th, 2014 at 10:16:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
No, it doesn't. The verb is "redactar" and it means to write down an event.

redacción ≈essay, composition, paper; editorial department, editorial office

source: spanishdict.com
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 17th, 2014 at 3:00:46 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English redact, which means to edit/revise.

They are from the same Latin word. But "redact" is a verb and it's Spanish equivalent is "redactar".

I am not sure where the definition of "essay" came from, but I have seen "drafting" or "wording" as a more common translation.
(DRAE) redacción=Acción y efecto de redactar

The noun seems to refer to the action, and not the final product.

EDIT: The definition in Spanishdict.com is not confirmed in the DRAE.
February 17th, 2014 at 3:57:36 AM permalink
Nareed
redacción ≈essay, composition, paper; editorial department, editorial office

source: spanishdict.com

For the last time: stop using spanishdict.
February 17th, 2014 at 4:13:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Pacomartin
(DRAE) redacción=Acción y efecto de redactar

EDIT: The definition in Spanishdict.com is not confirmed in the DRAE.

In English we often turn a verb into a noun with the -tion suffix. Which means to take the action of the "verb"
termination (terminate)
deletion (delete)
ignition (ignite)
motion (move)
resolution (resolve)
derivation (derive)
action (act)
justification (justify)
junction (join)
connection (connect);

So one would expect Spanish redacción to mean redaction in English.

But the same definition ( composition, essay ) is also definition #2 in Oxford definition of redacción

It's a puzzle.
February 17th, 2014 at 4:55:21 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
For the last time: stop using spanishdict.

Then I'll use Harry Potter.

Harry recorría la pagina con la punta de su pluma de águila, con el entrecejo fruncido, buscando algo que le sirviera para su redacción sobre "La inutilidad de la quema de brujas en el siglo XIV." -- Harry Potter y el prisionero de Azkaban
February 17th, 2014 at 6:46:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Then I'll use Harry Potter.

And you think that's an improvement?

The Spanish dictionary says otherwise. Further, I've never seen it used with that meaning, not even in books. You should also consider translators sometimes make mistakes.
February 17th, 2014 at 9:06:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Then I'll use Harry Potter. -- Harry Potter y el prisionero de Azkaban

I think we will have to assume that Latinos would be more comfortable with "composición" as a translation and Europeans are comfortable with "redacción". Although the first choice seems to be ensayo , I am assuming that composición would work just as well.

• As suggested by the topic title, the essay was supposed to cover witch burnings during the 14th century by Muggles, and why these burnings were ineffective in actually decreasing the wizarding population.
  • Harry recorría la pagina con la punta de su pluma de águila, con el entrecejo fruncido, buscando algo que le sirviera para su redacción sobre "La inutilidad de la quema de brujas en el siglo XIV."
  • Harry Potter fit courir le long de la page la pointe de la plume d'aigle qu'il tenait dans son autre main. Il cherchait des idées pour une dissertation sur le sujet suivant: "La crémation des sorcières au XIV esiècle était totalement inefficace : commentez et discutez."
  • Fece scorrere la punta della penna d'aquila sulla pagina, aggrottando le sopracciglia, alla ricerca di qualcosache potesse aiutarlo a scrivere il tema: Perché i roghi di streghe nel Quattordicesimo Secolo furono completamente inutili.
March 1st, 2014 at 8:29:21 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 1-3-14
Palabra: Enmarañar

Today's SWD means to tangle up.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny whether the mar in the word is the same that means sea.

Ejemplo time.

El cabello de Gilligan está enmarañado de nuevo. = Gilligan's hair is tangled again.
March 2nd, 2014 at 2:28:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny whether the mar in the word is the same that means sea.

The noun maraña refers to a physical tangle or a thicket,or a snarl. The DRAE says the origin of the word is uncertain, but it is fairly logical to think the word was used in reference to seaweed or fishing line.

So I can't confirm or deny.

There is a small town, Marana AZ, named for the Spanish word "maraña". The reference was to brush that needed to be cleared for the railroad. Of course, the desert is far from the sea.