3 votes (18.75%)
2 votes (12.5%)
10 votes (62.5%)
1 vote (6.25%)

16 members have voted

March 14th, 2014 at 9:29:36 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
After "Friends" and "Everybody Loves Raymond" were retired "2.5 Men" was the number one sitcom. Originally, Chuck Lorre envisioned TBBT to be more like 2.5 Men, with the girl crashing on their couch, and the arguments being much more personal and angry. It didn't test well, so they added two more guys, and reduced the second female part to a two episode appearance of Leslie Winkle.
March 15th, 2014 at 7:08:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
The original pilot for TBBT was radically different.

I never knew about that either. I'm sure I would like the show better if there were more nerdy women on it. The original Amy, Leslie Winkle, and the gal who had a crush on Sheldon I like.

Gilligan's Island also had a much-different unaired pilot with mostly different actors and included packing scenes in Hawaii, as I recall.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 15th, 2014 at 11:55:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
Gilligan's Island also had a much-different unaired pilot with mostly different actors and included packing scenes in Hawaii, as I recall.

You wonder how much of it is just pure luck. If Kaley Cuoco had played in the original pilot, and Amanda Walsh had done the second pilot maybe Amanda would be one of the highest paid TV actresses and Kaley would have had a career over the last 6.5 years playing guest roles and small parts in feature films.

Quote: Amanda Walsh Credits
2014 WTF America (TV Movie) (pre-production) Erica
2014 Mulaney (TV Series) (pre-production) Naomi
2014 Mercy (feature: post-production) Charlotte
2013 The Mob Doctor (TV Series) Chloe
2012 The Guilt Trip Lisa (uncredited)
2012 Two and a Half Men (TV Series) Dawn
2012 NCIS (TV Series) Ellen Roberts
2012 Grimm (TV Series) Natalie Havershaw
2012 Comedy Bar (TV Series) Ingrid
2012 Rebounding (TV Movie) Taryn
2011 The Master Cleanse (Short) Kelly
2011 Castle (TV Series) Lulu, Jack's Producer
2011 Single White Spenny (TV Series) Megan
2011 Danni Lowinski (TV Movie) Danni Lowinski
2010 Beauty & the Briefcase (TV Movie) Joanne
2009 Ghosts of Girlfriends (feature) Past Denice the Bridesmaid
2009 Washingtonienne (TV Movie) Laura
2008 WarGames: The Dead Code (Video) Annie D'Mateo
2008 Man Maid (feature) Chloe Flaminghawk
2008 October Road (TV Series) Lucy

Actually beofre TBBT Kaley Cuoco had 3 live action series where she was regular (plus 3 animated series) and she was only age 21. She would have probably been cast in another series if she had been in the botched pilot.

Actually CBS doesn't cancel SITCOMS easily. This year they cancelled Rules of Engagement after 7 years and 100 episodes, and the new sitcom We Are Men after 2 shows. The big question is The Crazy Ones with Robin Williams, and the mid-season replacements, "Bad Teacher" and " Friends with Better Lives" which haven't aired yet.
March 16th, 2014 at 7:17:55 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Actually beofre TBBT Kaley Cuoco had 3 live action series where she was regular (plus 3 animated series) and she was only age 21. She would have probably been cast in another series if she had been in the botched pilot.

She also played Marcia Brady in Growing Up Brady. I seem to recall she also played a guest roll as the young Shelly in an episode of Northern Exposure (my favorite show of all time). She would have been about 8 or 9 at the time.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 16th, 2014 at 7:41:29 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
I seem to recall she also played a guest roll as the young Shelly in an episode of Northern Exposure (my favorite show of all time). She would have been about 8 or 9 at the time.

Kaley Cuoco had her 2nd TV role at age 8 where she played the grown up baby daughter of Shelly in a hallucination. She was also in Virtuosity (Denzel Washington & Russel Crowe) at age 9, and played a young Ellen Degeneres at age 10.

So she already had several credits when she got her first role as a TV series regular at age 15.
March 16th, 2014 at 10:04:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

As I recall she was a regular in the last season of "Charmed" (rather an original show which bit the dust shortly after Shannen Doherty left), and she was on "8 Simple Rules." Now, co-starring with Alyssa Milano and John Ritter on successive jobs, that's quite something.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 16th, 2014 at 12:28:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
In 2010, Sheen was the highest paid actor on television, earning $1.25 million per episode of Two and a Half Men. include back end syndication points it was an estimated $2 million per episode. All six principal actors on Friends were paid $1 million per episode for the 9th and 10th season. Ashton Kutcher makes $750K-$800K per episode and is believed have the highest paid salary for scripted TV.

Between May 2012 and May 2013 Sofia Vergara made $30 million from all sources. But that is because of endorsement deals with CoverGirl and Diet Pepsi, as well as her new Kmart clothing line, as well as appearing on TV shows in Mexico and Venezuela.

It remains to be seen what kind of salary the stars of TBBT will receive.
March 16th, 2014 at 12:52:48 PM permalink
Nareed
It remains to be seen what kind of salary the stars of TBBT will receive.

Nowhere near $1m per episode, for sure.

Once the series ends, there may be one spinoff (I'm predicting one or two of the characters move and try to make another sitcom elsewhere with a slightly different premise, that is without so many smart guys around; think "Frasier"). And naturally everyone else will try to get their own tv show, whether a sitcom or not.

If any of these are successfull, someone will get to see $1m per show.
March 16th, 2014 at 1:32:38 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Nowhere near $1m per episode, for sure.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the shows main stars, Jim Parsons, Johnny Galecki, and Kaley Cuoco are negotiating the raise in their salary, from their current $325,000 per episode to $1 million...

That may not mean anything, since it doesn't cost agents anything to tell a reporter that they want $1 million. The show may have to meet ratings goals. Since it has been the highest ranked sitcom for four years running, it may be difficult to maintain that momentum for three more years.

In other news, the number of sitcoms with middle/working class families has now been reduced to one.
March 17th, 2014 at 9:12:13 AM permalink
Nareed
That may not mean anything, since it doesn't cost agents anything to tell a reporter that they want $1 million. The show may have to meet ratings goals.

I would think if the show has been renewed, the salaries have been negotiated as well. But everyone knows Hollywood is more Wonderland than Wall St. when it comes to business. You know, how blockbuster movie hits make no money, or lucrative markets don't earn enough to pay royalties.
Page 3 of 41<123456>Last »