2 votes (12.5%)
10 votes (62.5%)
1 vote (6.25%)

16 members have voted

March 13th, 2014 at 11:26:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: boymimbo
I saw Sci-Fi legends (and British royalty) Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan in Waiting for Godot. Patrick Stewart can act! Difficult subject material, however.

They both grew up in the Royal Shakespeare Company. PS had never heard of Star Trek when he was given the rold of Captain Jean Luc Picard.

Quote: boymimbo
It will be interesting to see what Lorre does with the show, given that he's bound by the characters. Lorre's other famous creation, 2.5 Men, has gone completely off the deep end, there was room to build debauchery, homosexuality, and drug use into the day-to-day lives of its characters. It's become unwatchable to my conservative wife, and somewhat distasteful for me.

It looks like they may renew 2.5 Men for another year despite having clearly jumped the shark. Chuck Lorre has one of the best runs of producing comedies, only failing once to executive produce a show that didn't have enough episodes for syndication. He is a very wealthy and powerful man.

Miriam Margolyes (star of Frannie's Turn)

All four Lorre comedies renewed for next year
2007-2014 The Big Bang Theory (TV Series) (executive producer - 153 episodes)
2003-2014 Two and a Half Men (TV Series) (executive producer - 217 episodes)
2010-2014 Mike & Molly (TV Series) (executive producer - 81 episodes)
2013 Mom (TV Series) (executive producer - 4 episodes)

1997-2002 Dharma & Greg (TV Series) (executive producer - 118 episodes)
1995 Cybill (TV Series) (executive producer - 7 episodes)
1993-1994 Grace Under Fire (TV Series) (executive producer - 22 episodes)
1992 Frannie's Turn (TV Series) (executive producer)
1992 Roseanne (TV Series) (co-executive producer - 25 episodes, 1991 - 1992) (supervising producer - 24 episodes, 1990 - 1991)
1989-1990 My Two Dads (TV Series) (supervising producer - 22 episodes)

Chuck Lorre's "Mom" with Anna Faris can be vulgar, but not in the completely arbitrary way that 2.5 Men can be. I think the writing is much more purposeful. I hope it is renewed.
March 13th, 2014 at 4:47:48 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: Pacomartin
They both grew up in the Royal Shakespeare Company. PS had never heard of Star Trek when he was given the rold of Captain Jean Luc Picard.
I find this difficult to believe because he did Dune three years before Star Trek. I suppose it's possible to avoid any exposure to Star Trek but when you do a movie like Dune that is sure to be saturated with Sci-Fi nerds, the subject of Star Trek has to come up sooner or later.
March 13th, 2014 at 5:06:54 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6

It looks like they may renew 2.5 Men for another year despite having clearly jumped the shark. Chuck Lorre has one of the best runs of producing comedies, only failing once to executive produce a show that didn't have enough episodes for syndication. He is a very wealthy and powerful man.

Miriam Margolyes (star of Frannie's Turn)

All four Lorre comedies renewed for next year
2007-2014 The Big Bang Theory (TV Series) (executive producer - 153 episodes)
2003-2014 Two and a Half Men (TV Series) (executive producer - 217 episodes)
2010-2014 Mike & Molly (TV Series) (executive producer - 81 episodes)
2013 Mom (TV Series) (executive producer - 4 episodes)

1997-2002 Dharma & Greg (TV Series) (executive producer - 118 episodes)
1995 Cybill (TV Series) (executive producer - 7 episodes)
1993-1994 Grace Under Fire (TV Series) (executive producer - 22 episodes)
1992 Frannie's Turn (TV Series) (executive producer)
1992 Roseanne (TV Series) (co-executive producer - 25 episodes, 1991 - 1992) (supervising producer - 24 episodes, 1990 - 1991)
1989-1990 My Two Dads (TV Series) (supervising producer - 22 episodes)

Chuck Lorre's "Mom" with Anna Faris can be vulgar, but not in the completely arbitrary way that 2.5 Men can be. I think the writing is much more purposeful. I hope it is renewed.

Chuck and I share a birthday, and we definitely share a similar sense of what's funny, with 2 1/2 men being the exception. I didn't know he got out of Cybill after 7 episodes, though; I'm guessing he and Shepard had a fight I didn't really pay attention to; they are both notoriously hard to work with. The show ran 4 seasons, and he started it, but I'd always given him credit for the whole thing until I read the Pacomartin definitive report. :O
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 13th, 2014 at 8:33:23 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: s2dbaker
I find this difficult to believe because he did Dune three years before Star Trek. I suppose it's possible to avoid any exposure to Star Trek but when you do a movie like Dune that is sure to be saturated with Sci-Fi nerds, the subject of Star Trek has to come up sooner or later.

I suppose that he was certainly aware of the subculture associated with these films and TV series. A man that I worked with was married to Lisa Harrow, who worked closely and was friends with Patrick Stewart for many years at the RSC. She left the RSC in the 1970's to make British sci-fi television.

Perhaps he had heard of it in passing, but he had never seen it, and he did not realize how popular it was in America.
March 13th, 2014 at 9:56:24 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
How do you think the show will hold up for another three years? IMHO, some of the recent episodes seem more cartoonish than the original years.

Not well. As each of the original four got coupled off the show lost steam. I still watch out of loyalty, but it isn't 1/4 as good as it was in its prime. I'm sure from a business point of view it makes sense to milk it for all its worth. However, to me, they are beating a dead horse.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 14th, 2014 at 5:08:03 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
Not well. As each of the original four got coupled off the show lost steam. I still watch out of loyalty, but it isn't 1/4 as good as it was in its prime. I'm sure from a business point of view it makes sense to milk it for all its worth. However, to me, they are beating a dead horse.

Once they coupled Leonard and Penny and Bernadette Rostenkowski was introduced as a recurring character in the 3rd season, the ratings really started to take off.

But Sheldon's lines in the pilot were pretty sophisticated. Now sometimes he is not just socially awkward, but completely clueless. I saw one episode where he doesn't know what a sex tape is.

============
SHELDON LINES from the Pilot episode

Leonard: Our babies will be smart and beautiful.
Sheldon: Not to mention imaginary.

Sheldon: I don’t know what your odds are in the world as a whole, but as far as the population of this car goes, you’re a veritable Mack Daddy.

Sheldon: Well this is an interesting development.
Leonard: How so?
Sheldon: It has been some time since we’ve had a woman take her clothes off in our apartment.
Leonard: That’s not true, remember at Thanksgiving my grandmother with Alzheimer’s had that episode.
Sheldon: Point taken. It has been some time since we’ve had a woman take her clothes off after which we didn’t want to rip our eyes out.

Penny: So, what do you guys do for fun around here?
Sheldon: Well, today we tried masturbating for money.
March 14th, 2014 at 6:41:44 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Oh, come on, there have been great Sheldon lines since the pilot:

"Ah, gravity - thou art a heartless bitch."
"I can't be impossible; I exist! I think what you meant to say is, 'I give up; he's improbable'."
"Looking into the blank, innocent eyes of a creature that couldn't begin to comprehend anything I was saying ... basically another day at the office."

Amy: You're a coward!
Sheldon: Well, the evidence does seem to support that.
March 14th, 2014 at 7:16:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
But Sheldon's lines in the pilot were pretty sophisticated. Now sometimes he is not just socially awkward, but completely clueless. I saw one episode where he doesn't know what a sex tape is.

You should know the pilot hardly ever counts. In fact it's remarkable the cast stayed the same after the pilot, without substitutions or additions.

Do notice, though, how oftent he word "coitus" was used in the pilot and by whom. Later on the only ones to use it are Sheldon and Amy. Speaking of Amy, she's changed from a female Sheldon to a more normal person.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 14th, 2014 at 7:38:46 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
You should know the pilot hardly ever counts. In fact it's remarkable the cast stayed the same after the pilot, without substitutions or additions.

The original pilot for TBBT was radically different. Only Leonard and Sheldon's character were retained. There were two girls, Katie (Amanda Walsh) who was more or less like Penny, and Gilda (Iris Bahr) (who had once had sex with Sheldon).

Amanda Walsh

Iris Bahr
March 14th, 2014 at 8:39:58 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The original pilot for TBBT was radically different. Only Leonard and Sheldon's character were retained. There were two girls, Katie (Amanda Walsh) who was more or less like Penny, and Gilda (Iris Bahr) (who had once had sex with Sheldon).

I dind't know that.

In any case unaired pilots count even less. The first pilot ep of Star Trek hardly ressembles the series at all. If you go to the conception stage, it gets even stranger. I've read early drafts of Star Wars, which have only a vague ressemblence to the 1977 movie.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 2 of 41<12345>Last »