3 votes (18.75%)
2 votes (12.5%)
10 votes (62.5%)
1 vote (6.25%)

16 members have voted

October 27th, 2015 at 4:32:21 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Supergirl premiered last nigh after TBBT. As it was heavily promoted and given the choicest time slot in TV for a new show, Supergirl debuted as the 3rd highest show with viewers 18-49 (behind only TBBT and Empire). Of course the boost from TBBT lead in was a one time event, and it will have to stand on it's own against difficult competition.

Dean Cain (Superman from TV 20 years ago) and Helen Slater (Supergirl from the movies 30 years ago) played the couple who adopted Supergirl when she landed on earth. A new character was created for the TV series named Alex Danvers , who was the real daughter of the couple that adopted Supergirl.

The show was very good, but almost the entire episode had already been released in promo material. DC comics is increasing it's hold on television, even as Marvel Comics grows to dominate movies.
October 27th, 2015 at 7:20:31 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I didn't think it was very good.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 27th, 2015 at 9:17:14 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Dalex64
I didn't think it was very good.

Well, where would you place it among the comic book superhero shows? Do you find them all stupid?
The Arrow
The Flash
iZombie
Supergirl
Agents of Shield

Perhaps Buffy the Vampire Slayer was unique, in that it was a teenage coming of age story that appealed to adults. I always thought that Angel tried to appeal to older audience even though it had many of the same actors and the same showrunner.

Supergirl did consciously try and reverse the somber treatment that the major DC characters are now getting in the movies (Superman and Batman) which are devoid of humor.

I also liked that they made her cute, instead of smoking hot. I think it becomes an issue when every TV character is over the top.

October 27th, 2015 at 9:52:13 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Well, where would you place it among the comic book superhero shows? Do you find them all stupid?
The Arrow
The Flash
iZombie
Supergirl
Agents of Shield

I haven't seen SG, but I watched a few ep's
of the others and gave up. The acting was
so bad in all of them, I don't even know if
the stories were any good.

For example, I won't watch anything if
Woody Harrelson is in it. He's a terrible
actor, he always plays Woody Harrelson.
He was in Hunger games, I FF'd thru all
his scenes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 28th, 2015 at 5:04:15 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I like iZombie.

I don't like Arrow, I don't like Agents of Shield. I liked Supergirl better than both of those.

I haven't seen Flash, but the commercials haven't made me think I'd like it.

I like Gotham. I liked The Tick, both the cartoon and the live action series.

I liked the Greatest American Hero. I liked most of the X-men movies. I liked Buffy and Angel.

So yeah, I don't dislike every show in the genera.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
October 28th, 2015 at 7:59:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Dalex64
I liked Supergirl better than both of those. I haven't seen Flash, but the commercials haven't made me think I'd like it.

The production team behind the Flash is the same as the one behind Supergirl. They have a similar energy, but one is on the low rated CW network, and the other is on CBS.The Flash got extremely high ratings for the CW network and remains their highest rated show, which was instrumental in bringing Supergirl to CBS.

Series Premiere Ratings
Tues 10/07/2014 | 1.90 18-49 demo | 4.830 Viewers (mil) | The Flash
Mon 10/25/2015 | 3.10 18-49 demo | 12.955 Viewers (mil) | Supergirl

Quote: Background
The CW Television Network is a joint venture between CBS Corporation, the former owners of the United Paramount Network (UPN launched on January 16, 1995), and the Warner Bros. Entertainment subsidiary of Time Warner, former majority owner of The WB Television Network (premiered on January 11, 1995). The network made its debut on September 18, 2006, after its two predecessors, UPN and The WB, respectively ceased.

The two networks had hit shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Star Trek: Voyager, 7th Heaven, Dawson's Creek and Charmed. In the eleven years that UPN and The WB were in operation, the two networks lost a combined $2 billion and future prospects were even worse.

The CW announced that it would pick up a combined thirteen programs from its two predecessors to air as part of the network's inaugural fall schedule: seven series held over from The WB (7th Heaven, Beauty and the Geek, Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Reba, Smallville and Supernatural) and six held over from UPN (America's Next Top Model, Veronica Mars, Everybody Hates Chris, Girlfriends, All of Us and WWE SmackDown).

Supernatural is still on the air, and the stars at age 33 and 37 are almost middle aged by CW standards.
October 28th, 2015 at 8:19:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I've liked most superhero animated series from the 90s on. Batman, Superman, two iterations of the Justice League, Spiderman, a retro version of Batman featuring numerous others from the DC stable, Batman Beyond, Green Lantern even the Teen Titans a little bit. But I rarely enjoy live action superheroes, either on film or TV.

Perhaps because the whole idea is so ludicrous and unrealistic, especially with characters like Batman, that seeing them as animation matches the full unreality of the premise, plot and characterization so well.

BTW I think the best ever Batman movie is "Mask of the Phantasm," a 90s era animated movie. "Your angel of Death awaits."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 30th, 2015 at 7:27:37 AM permalink
Nareed
Back on topic. Since The Big Bang Theory should run until 2017 or so, and Leonard & Penny already are married, what direction can the show now possibly take?

Going by formula someone should be pregnant next season.
October 30th, 2015 at 11:31:07 AM permalink
Pacomartin
First number is 18-49 year old rating. Second is total viewership.

CBS has only premiered two comedies so far this season (with two more coming up)
Big Bang Theory |4.08 | 15.784 million
Life in Pieces |2.07 | 9.040 million
Mom (11/5 premier)
2 Broke Girls (11/12 premier)

ABC has premiered 8 comedies so far this season. MF is still in lead, but not by as much
Modern Family | 2.86|8.370 million
The Middle |2.03 |7.509 million
The Goldbergs | 2.21 |6.885 million
Last Man Standing |1.24 |6.581 million
Black-ish | 1.93 |6.122 million
Dr. Ken |1.31 |6.041 million
The Muppets |1.85 | 5.661 million
Fresh Off the Boat |1.66 |4.732 million

NBCs two friday night comedies have the lowest ratings at the network
Undateable | 0.79 |2.693 million
Truth Be Told | 0.66 |2.412 million

FOXs seven comedies are all below 4 million except the Simpsons
The Simpsons 2.03 4.610 million
Grandfathered 1.17 3.928 million
Brooklyn Nine-Nine 1.59 3.389 million
The Grinder 1.07 3.381 million
Family Guy 1.59 3.268 million
The Last Man on Earth 1.31 2.968 million
Bob's Burgers 1.05 2.264 million

Quote: Nareed
Back on topic. Since The Big Bang Theory should run until 2017 or so, and Leonard & Penny already are married, what direction can the show now possibly take? Going by formula someone should be pregnant next season.

From the 19 sitcoms premiered so far, it is apparent that nothing is coming in the same galaxy as TBBT. Even Modern Family may not have the ratings to support it's star salaries.

It seems as if it will be financially impossible for CBS to let the series simply vanish. The plotlines may depend on which stars they lose. It is hard to imagine the show without Sheldon.
October 30th, 2015 at 11:55:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
The plotlines may depend on which stars they lose. It is hard to imagine the show without Sheldon.

There's no show without Sheldon. But there's also no show without Sheldon constantly and relentlessly annoying his roommate.

The progression we'll see is:

Leonard moves out.
Sheldon tries to cope, in the process making Leonard and Penny miserable. Probably other people as well.
Sheldon fails to cope.
Sheldon gets a new roommate.

For the last most likely that should be Amy, but we'll see.

That can't take up a whole season. So we should see also Sheldon and Amy make up. Someone ought to get pregnant, too. Next season Leonard and Penny, or less likely Sheldon and Amy, might move.

I just hope they don't pull out a bizarre move like Three's Company did when Suzanne Summers found herself exiled from the set while still a part of the show.