Original Sin?

Page 471 of 472« First<468469470471472>
June 5th, 2021 at 10:44:45 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Were the Catholic church to end its insistence on chastity I believe this problem would be ameliorated.

I don't seem to read anything about protestant ministers raping young boys: wonder why?
June 5th, 2021 at 10:54:55 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
First of all Bob I think we should expect everyone .

But we aren't talking about 'everyone', are we. We are talking about a super special segment of society where far more is .expected of them then of 'everyone' else. A segment of society that teaches right and wrong for a living. A segment of society that if people cannot trust them, who can they trust. And of course the priest-class knows this better than anyone and it's why they can so easily take advantage of it. A school run by serial child rapists for 80 years, and who could the children complain to? Absolutely no one. It was a closed system, which was true up until very recently.

The TV show Blue Bloods gets high marks from the Catholic Church because they portray the religion with respect and accuracy. I was watching an episode the other night where the Tom Selleck character is talking to a priest and at the end of the conversation the priest says "If you kneel, I will give you a blessing." I was appalled by this, and still am, obviously. This priest has no proof he's in contact with some god, he doesn't even have proof that a god exists. His blessings are worthless and if you think they are worthwhile, that foolishness is on you. That whole scenario is dripping with desperation.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2021 at 10:57:44 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: missedhervee

I don't seem to read anything about protestant ministers raping young boys: wonder why?

It happens in all religions, we just hear about it more for the Catholics because it's so pervasive. Try that behavior in a Protestant church it not only will you lose your job and probably go to jail, you're lucky if you don't get killed for it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 5th, 2021 at 2:21:41 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Evenbob
It happens in all religions,

It happens everywhere in society unfortunately. The most common sexual abusers are parents and family members. I don't think a healthy celibacy leads to pedophilia.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 5th, 2021 at 5:08:02 PM permalink
missedhervee
I don't think a healthy celibacy leads to pedophilia.

This makes sense, I would agree...but what then leads a disproporitionate amount of Catholic priests to engage in or turn to an "unhealthy celibacy?"

It cannot be gainsaid that the percentage of Catholic priests who molest/bugger boys is higher than it is in the general population; why is that?

I wonder whether the pedophile priests confess their sins, and if so what would the priest hearing the confession do, given the confidentiality of the confessional?
June 5th, 2021 at 6:44:01 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
It happens everywhere in society unfortunately. The most common sexual abusers are parents and family members. I don't think a healthy celibacy leads to pedophilia.
Healthy or unhealthy celibacy is about sex or abstinence. Pedo is about power and control, like other rape.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 7th, 2021 at 2:52:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
This makes sense, I would agree...but what then leads a disproporitionate amount of Catholic priests to engage in or turn to an "unhealthy celibacy?"

It cannot be gainsaid that the percentage of Catholic priests who molest/bugger boys is higher than it is in the general population; why is that?

Not sure exactly what you are saying here. However, I don't think the percentage of Catholic priests who commit sexual abuse is higher than the general population.

Quote:
I wonder whether the pedophile priests confess their sins, and if so what would the priest hearing the confession do, given the confidentiality of the confessional?

I am sure they are counseled to turn themselves in and get the serious help they need.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 7th, 2021 at 3:04:12 PM permalink
missedhervee
Fr. G, you say that a healthy celibacy does not lead to pedophilia.

That sounds fine, I was wondering what factors cause a priest who once took a vow of celibacy to switch from healthy to unhealthy status?

I suspect that pedophile priests were mostly predisposed to pedophilia before becoming priests, but for those who entered the priesthood in good faith and with clean hands, what made them turn into evil monsters?

As for percentages, I concede there is likely insufficient reliable data with which to form a viable opinion as to the number of priests vs. the general population who are pedophiles.
June 7th, 2021 at 10:01:33 PM permalink
Evenbob

As for percentages, I concede there is likely insufficient reliable data with which to form a viable opinion as to the number of priests vs. the general population who are pedophiles.

It's higher, much higher, because these men join because they are already pedophiles. You do not turn into one just because you're around young men a lot. Just like Boy Scouts. A troop leader is already a pedophile, he doesn't become one. The older Gay guys I knew in California used to tell me Gay men are attracted to all male organizations. The military, any fraternal organization, Boy Scouts, the priesthood. I knew two guys who were in the Air Force in the 50s as officers and they said they have never gotten so much action in their lives, that the military then and now is overflowing with Gay men. Just like the priesthood is today. They go where the action is. Every gay guy I knew in California was attracted to underage boys. They joked about it constantly. They would never in a hundred years consider themselves to be pedophiles because the young boys were always willing, they were never forced to do anything. You give a fourteen-year-old kid money, drugs, and even let him drive your car sometimes. He'll do anything you want. These guys were master manipulators as are all pedophiles
December 13th, 2021 at 1:26:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Tis the season for FrGamble to swing by and let us know how it's going on this side of reality.

How's it going? Any revelations since Covid?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 471 of 472« First<468469470471472>