Original Sin?

October 27th, 2015 at 7:34:47 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: Dalex64

Church doctrine is based on these stories, which were thought to be true. If the stories aren't true, what foundation does the doctrine stand on? The details are critically important.

Don't you seem to have the cart before the horse here? Stories are used to communicate truth. Whether or not there was a talking snake exactly as presented in Genesis or not has nothing to do with the fact that Eve was tempted to disobey God. There are certain things in a story of course that are essential and it really just takes common sense often to realize it not the infallible help of the Holy Spirit. If the story of Jesus' Resurrection did not really have a resurrection than it all falls apart. Did hundreds of people rise from the dead as well, I'm not sure, but it is not essential to the story of Jesus' real and true bodily Resurrection.

Doctrine stands on the fact that it is true not by analyzing the story, as important as that is. So for example the reality is we as human beings are good but we often struggle to do what we know is right and gravitate more to what we want rather than what is best. This is Original Sin.

Quote:
What I see happening here is the stories are being bent to fit the facts, and facts are being bent to fit the stories.

It is the first and definitely not the latter.

Quote:
You can't say that the bible isn't a scientific text on one hand when I complain that it lacks the truth, and on the other hand tell me that the bible tells you the truth.

What kind of craziness is this? A book doesn't have to be a scientific textbook to transmit truth!?! Some of the greatest and most important truths are only and best told far outside the pages of a science experiment.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 27th, 2015 at 7:48:31 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Face

Exactly. It again makes me wonder why we're discussing Catholicism. Nearly everything it claims has been done before.

When you look at the stories this really isn't true. The differences are laughable. Not only are they very different, but they are not real. There isn't the same historical proof and lasting effect of for example Jesus Christ.

Quote:
It is not hard for me at all to envision a similar thing happening with Jesus. I mean, I think he lived and was real. I think he was a hell of a philosopher and philanthropist. I think he was a Big Deal. So a Big Deal is killed, but was only "mostly dead" (and we all know that "mostly dead" is "partly alive") So like so many others before and after him, he recovers and leaves. A Big Deal being "killed" and then living? That's a huge story. Hell, that's why I even knew of Rasputin, because he did the same thing (like 4 times) and it was a huge story. Wanna see how huge? Go down to Barbados and bring back Tupac. The Nation will lose its collective s#$% right in front of your eyes.

As for the whole "lasted for XXXX years", that means very, very little. I honestly wonder why you use that so often. Many of the Eastern religions are well over 5,000 years old. The Seneca creation myth is still kicking around, and get this, it survived with no written records whatsoever! All the stuff you have ever heard me say about it came by way of word of mouth beginning thousands and thousands of years ago. Now THAT is staying power. Yet it holds no sway with you, at least in their cases.

I dunno. No clean ending to this post.

You aren't thinking through this enough I think. It should be very hard for you to envision a simple carpenter/iterant preacher from the back water of the Roman Empire who was crucified between two thieves long before they had any "mass communication" is the source of more literature, art, discussion, and belief than any person who ever lived or will live. He has impacted the world in a way that, to be honest, make comparisons to ice bucket challenges and Rasputin, or the Seneca creation myth really silly.

Not to mention your "mostly dead" theory is not tenable. Here are just some brief reasons why: Romans are really good at killing people, the wounds of the crucifixion plus a spear thrust in the side for good measure are not survivable, three days without food, water, or care will not make one better, a badly wounded clinging to life "resurrected" Jesus would not quite inspire the Apostles and disciples in the historical way it did.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
October 27th, 2015 at 7:59:50 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
It should be very hard for you to envision a simple carpenter/iterant preacher from the back water of the Roman Empire who was crucified between two thieves long before they had any "mass communication" is the source of more literature, art, discussion, and belief than any person who ever lived or will live.

So what. What saved him from obscurity
was Christianity being made the state religion
of Rome. That, and the fact it was a
hodge podge of popular concepts from
other religions, that it stole ideas and
rituals and holidays from paganism, and
it had an overly aggressive and unforgiving
recruiting arm that was relentless in finding
new 'believers'. Saying the Church's success
is all about a nice, quiet, peaceful carpenter
is ludicrous.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 27th, 2015 at 8:09:59 AM permalink
FrGamble
I admit that sometimes I peek too.

Quote: Nareed

In order to believe this complete load of, you know, one would have to completely ignore everything we know about genetics and evolution. Seriously, brother Mendel must be spinning in his grave.

I certainly don't want to offend dear Brother Mendel so I will have to do some more thinking and praying about this issue of the inbreeding that was necessary at the beginning of the human race.

Right now my response would be to remind Nareed that I believe God gave (either through a new creation or by the process of evolution) a perfect set of chromosomes and genes to both Adam and Eve, our first parents and the first humans. Let me leave it at that until I can come up with a better answer to not offend Br. Mendel and dear Nareed.
October 27th, 2015 at 8:11:05 AM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: Evenbob
Saying the Church's success
is all about a nice, quiet, peaceful carpenter
is ludicrous.

Yes it is, that is why the only thing that makes sense is that He was truly the Son of God!
October 27th, 2015 at 8:20:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
As for the whole "lasted for XXXX years", that means very, very little. I honestly wonder why you use that so often. Many of the Eastern religions are well over 5,000 years old.

That too.

Polytheism in the Ancient world was rather consistent between different regions, with Egypt perhaps as something of an exception. The gods differed, but the basic ideas were the same. This lasted far longer than Christianity has, and likely will.

Back then the only two odd things about Jews was that they worshipped only one god and they made no representations of their god. Otherwise, the ritual and practice was very much the same, including animal sacrifices at the temple.

The Egyptian cult lasted around 3,000 years. Probably longer, as it's likely it was present before the unification of lower and upper Egypt, which marks the formal start of recorded Egyptian civilization.

Some will point out all these ancient religions changed through time. Of course they did. I will point out Christianity has changed a great deal through time as well.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 27th, 2015 at 10:34:40 AM permalink
Nareed
I certainly don't want to offend dear Brother Mendel so I will have to do some more thinking and praying about this issue of the inbreeding that was necessary at the beginning of the human race.

1) Praying is as useful as masturbating when it comes to learning.

2) I spoke about recessive genes, not inbreeding.
October 27th, 2015 at 10:58:34 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
1) Praying is as useful as masturbating when it comes to learning.
Well, I guess I need to pray more then?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 27th, 2015 at 12:08:22 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: petroglyph
Well, I guess I need to pray more then?

Literally, I cannot advocate or condone that ;)
October 27th, 2015 at 12:08:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
the only thing that makes sense is that He was truly the Son of God!

The biggest reason the Church is still
around today is, the forceful way it
dealt with heretics. If you have
a message, and you force people to
believe it, like the Church did, it really
doesn't matter what the message is.

You act like the Church trudged along
in it's first thousand years, preaching
the peaceful carpenters message far and
wide, slowly building the base of it's
wonderful, kind and loving leader, Jesus.

Here is just a small example of how the
loving Church dealt with so called heretics:

"Translating the bible into vernacular languages, or helping with the printing of such a bible was heresy according to the Roman Church. Generally, in Europe, women were buried alive for this offence. Men were burned alive. One printer in Paris was burned on a pyre of his own books. In the sixteenth century William Tyndale translated the bible into English. In danger of arrest and in fear for his life he fled the country. He was arrested in the Netherlands, and in 1536 was executed for heresy for agreeing with the Lutheran doctrine of justification by faith."

So much for the peaceful carpenters doctrine.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.