What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

May 13th, 2021 at 11:14:10 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Pacomartin
Knives Out had a production budget of $40M
DOMESTIC (53.1%) $165,363,234
INTERNATIONAL (46.9%) $146,035,067

It was the top comedy of 2019 if you don't count "Jumanji: The Next Level".

But that is a helluva lot of money.

Apparently it was $468 million Netflix paid.

Rumor has it Daniel Craig, writer/director Rian Johnson, and producer Ram Bergman are all getting $100 million paydays. So that accounts for $300 million.

Anyway, casting for the first sequel is happening right now.

The new cast so far:

Edward Norton
Dave Bautista
Janelle Monae
Kathryn Hahn
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
May 16th, 2021 at 8:07:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
A gambling themed movie with Russel Crowe and Natalie Portman is upcoming.

Quote:
Natalie Portman, who is currently in Sydney filming Thor: Love and Thunder, is also tipped to star in the film, the publication reports.

According to Deadline, Poker Face tells the tale of a tech billionaire called Jake (played by Russell) who gathers his childhood friends to his Miami estate for what turns into a high stakes game of poker.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 31st, 2021 at 12:50:18 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I just realized the youngest kid on "Third Rock from the Sun" is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, actor who played in Looper, Inception, and Dark Knight Rises.

More often when I see younger kids on the old sitcoms, they don't have a very notable career. Some exceptions of course, Ron Howard, Michael J Fox.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 31st, 2021 at 10:24:57 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine
I just realized the youngest kid on "Third Rock from the Sun" is Joseph Gordon-Levitt, .

I have enjoyed him and everything he's done. He wrote, directed, and starred in Don Jon. It was his directorial debut and I found it very entertaining.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 3rd, 2021 at 4:35:14 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
A Quiet Place Part 2

Not as good as the first. This movie only exists because the first one made a lot of money. There was really no need for it.

It is only 97 minutes so it goes by quick and there are a couple tense, well-directed sequences (albeit not as intense as any from the first movie).

Also: not enough Emily Blunt!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
June 3rd, 2021 at 8:54:26 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: ams288
This movie only exists because the first one made a lot of money. There was really no need for it.

In 2018 "The Nun" with a $22 million budget yielding a worldwide boxoffice of $363 million and "A Quiet Place" with a $17 million budget yielding a worldwide boxoffice of $363 million were the financial standouts.

In comparison Mary Poppins Returns had a $130 million budget yielding a worldwide boxoffice of $349 million

A Quiet Place II tripled the budget of the original film. I don't know if it showed, or if the salaries were simply a lot bigger.

There won't be any need for "Nun II" either.

Production for A Quiet Place III has already begun.

1. Avengers: Infinity War
  2. Black Panther
  3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
  4. Incredibles 2
  5. Aquaman
  6. Bohemian Rhapsody ------ Production Budget: $55 million
  7. Venom
  8. Mission: Impossible—Fallout
  9. Deadpool 2
  10. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
  11. Ant-Man and the Wasp
  12. Ready Player One
  13. Tang Ren Jie Tan An 2 -------------------------------------- CHINESE
  14. Hong Hai Xing Dong -------------------------------------- CHINESE
  15. Ralph Breaks The Internet
  16. The Meg
  17. Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
  18. Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch
  19. Bumblebee
  20. Wo Bi Shi Yao Shen -------------------------------------- CHINESE
  21. A Star is Born ------ Production Budget: $36 million
  22. Rampage
  23. Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again!
  24. Solo: A Star Wars Story
  25. Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse 3D
  26. Fifty Shades Freed
  27. Xi Hong Shi Shou Fu -------------------------------------- CHINESE
  28. The Nun------ Production Budget: $22 million
  29. Zhuo yao ji 2 -------------------------------------- CHINESE
  30. Mary Poppins Returns
  31. Peter Rabbit ------ Production Budget: $50 million
  32. A Quiet Place------ Production Budget: $17 million
June 8th, 2021 at 4:48:44 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
By no means a new movie, but I watched Chinatown (1974) the other night on Netflix. It was excellent. I see why it is regarded as one of the best movies of all time. Early (relatively) Jack Nicholson movie that was great at subverting expectations. If you like Noir styled films (especially from the 70s) it would be hard to do much better.
June 9th, 2021 at 11:06:57 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I watched Tombstone last night, it was entertaining. There was actually a few actors that even I recognized although I don't know their names.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
June 9th, 2021 at 12:28:09 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Gandler
By no means a new movie, but I watched Chinatown (1974) the other night on Netflix. It was excellent. I see why it is regarded as one of the best movies of all time. Early (relatively) Jack Nicholson movie that was great at subverting expectations. If you like Noir styled films (especially from the 70s) it would be hard to do much better.
I plan to re-watch this and then re-watch immediately "The Two Jakes [1990]". When I was watching the latter one recently, I realized there were important parts of the first one I couldn't quite remember right, and it seemed important.

a dangerous condition regarding a housing development with a natural gas problem is shown in what I thought was an unrealistic, silly scenario
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 9th, 2021 at 3:05:13 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: odiousgambit
I plan to re-watch this and then re-watch immediately "The Two Jakes [1990]". When I was watching the latter one recently, I realized there were important parts of the first one I couldn't quite remember right, and it seemed important.

a dangerous condition regarding a housing development with a natural gas problem is shown in what I thought was an unrealistic, silly scenario

Yeah I need to get around to watching that one next. This did not seem like the type of movie to have a sequel, but if it is anywhere as good as the original I will happily watch it.