What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 17th, 2019 at 8:19:09 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Somehow I have muddied the waters instead of clearing them up

I'm just saying that the transgender movement, with which I do not connect at all, has at least made its case that a gender dysphoric person may not be what was thought of as a traditional gay person in years past when it all was grouped together in the public mind, and you can see what that traditional thinking was in these old movies and shows that were thought of as progressive at the time.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 17th, 2019 at 8:59:37 AM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: odiousgambit
Somehow I have muddied the waters instead of clearing them up

I'm just saying that the transgender movement, with which I do not connect at all, has at least made its case that a gender dysphoric person may not be what was thought of as a traditional gay person in years past when it all was grouped together in the public mind, and you can see what that traditional thinking was in these old movies and shows that were thought of as progressive at the time.

All movies that portray <insert currently offended group here> should be remade to current societal "norms" and each time a new group is offended, those same movies should be remade again -- this should be governmentally mandated
February 17th, 2019 at 10:44:40 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Billy Crystal playing a gay man, and it's a very dated view of homosexuality. The sex change operation thing again as a homosexual's 'obvious' goal in life.

That's an unfortunate stereotype. I've known
Gay men in Calif and from my antique days,
and none of them wanted to be women. In
fact, they considered being Gay more
masculine than being straight. It's what
'real' men do.

On Modern Family, they've stressed for 9
seasons that they hate being called the
'wife' in a relationship, they aren't women
and have no desire to be women. The
actor who plays Mitch is Gay in real life,
and he's said in interviews that the show
portrays the reality of the majority of
Gay men, and he wouldn't play the part
if it didn't.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 17th, 2019 at 11:27:41 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
From Wikipedia: Gender dysphoria (GD) is the distress a person experiences as a result of the sex and gender they were assigned at birth.
I might not understand the phrase completely. I don't remember any gender dysphoric persons in either the original or the remake. By that I mean I don't don't think of any of the characters as angst filled. Paranoid, yes. Jealous yes. But not angst filled.

February 17th, 2019 at 11:41:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
That's an unfortunate stereotype. I've known
Gay men in Calif and from my antique days,
and none of them wanted to be women.
I think we all know now if we didn't all along, that there are plenty of gays who are 'just fine' with sex involving people all of whom have penises. In the two besides Bird Cage I brought up, they would have you believe gays want their partners to have these sex change operations. That's something to ponder.

In the case of Bird Cage, the cross-dresser is also a very effeminate gay, so to me it uses stereotypes that the public could connect with at the time. It's not just about the cross-dressing.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 17th, 2019 at 2:05:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
In the case of Bird Cage, the cross-dresser is also a very effeminate gay, so to me it uses stereotypes that the public could connect with at the time. It's not just about the cross-dressing.

As a straight man, effeminate stereotypes are far less unnerving. I think I have seen enough images since 1995 that I am more immune to more realistic portrayals of homosexuality than I was 20 years ago.

I remember distinctly this Priscilla knock off called "Too Wong Foo..."

Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes are shown all ripped while putting on their make up, so you know it is a spoof with their over the top portrayals.

John Leguizamo is never shown out of makeup and he plays the character more feminine (but not effeminate) if that makes sense.The result is that Leguizamo's character is actually someone you could believe that a straight small town guy could actually fall in love with who is not looking closely for Adam's Apples or stubble growth.

February 19th, 2019 at 7:53:29 PM permalink
Evenbob
Tried watching Black Sea. Jude Law hires
12 of the most cliched thugs and misfits
to crew a sub in search of Nazi gold.
He offers them an even share of what
they find. Somebody warns him to
pay them an an exact amount. An
even share will make them reinact
Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Sure enough, they immediately start
trying to kill each other so their
share will be bigger. Dumb plot, I
lasted 45min.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 21st, 2019 at 11:12:32 PM permalink
Evenbob
Get the Gringo, 2012, Mel Gibson

Seen it 4 times, have the DVD, gets better
every time. It's not possible to dislike
this movie. Great story, lots of action,
great acting, it's my fave Gibson movie.

Written and produced by Gibson, he let
somebody else direct it. He's very 'cool'
in this in a different than he's usually
cool. Just watch it, you'll like it.

February 22nd, 2019 at 6:19:27 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I saw Wandering Earth on Monday. This is the first movie out of mainland China I've seen, although I've seen lots out of Hong Kong and Taiwan. The premise is the sun is expanding so mankind creates 1,000 rocket engines to move earth to a safer location. Meanwhile, people live in underground cities under these engines, except some workers who mine for fuel for the engines, in weather that is around -90 degrees.

There are all kinds of stories going on, but the main one is the earth gets near Jupiter and the rockets malfunction so the earth is on a path to fall into Jupiter if they can't get them working.

As for my review, the movie is extremely fast paced. The audience rarely has a chance to catch its breath. There are also several story lines going on, which I won't get into. The writers definitely spread themselves too thin, at least for me. If you do like it, I'm pretty sure the movie set itself up for a sequel, perhaps lots of them.

In case you're wondering, there was no overt Chinese propaganda, but when humanity discovers they are dooomed unless they all work together, they form a One Earth government, which seems to be mostly run by the Chinese as are every character except one, going by race. To be honest, in the future when this is set, I could actually buy that.

In summary, I give Wandering Earth 4 on the 0 to 10 scale.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
February 22nd, 2019 at 9:56:51 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
The premise is the sun is expanding so mankind creates 1,000 rocket engines to move earth to a safer location.

While oddball science is the premise of many sci-fi movies, I prefer ones that at least are possible in the world of physics. Moving a populated planet on a 2500 year journey to Alpha Centauri does not qualify as possible to me. You would have to average over one million miles per hour velocity