What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

October 10th, 2018 at 4:49:07 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: rxwine
, but I do wish they would set up lots of live cameras and actually focus on local storm activity.
One man does this. Some cameras he has never been able to locate again. He leaves a mini weather station there too but often loses various functions from it and its internet signal.
October 10th, 2018 at 5:27:17 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: ams288
That movie was horrible. .

How would you know.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 12th, 2018 at 12:06:05 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
ABC execs fear "Conners" may crash without star Roseanne? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6261259/ABC-fears-Conners-flop-without-Roseanne-Barr.html

This is interesting/entertaining, but Definitely NSFW

The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 12th, 2018 at 12:21:56 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: petroglyph
ABC execs fear "Conners" may crash without star Roseanne?

I thought John Goodman is the major talent on the show
What little I watched was because of him, not Roseanne.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 12th, 2018 at 9:59:07 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Two recommendations of old movies

Straight Time (1978} -- Dustin Hoffman, Harry Dean Stanton

Dustin Hoffman gives a commanding performance throughout as a career criminal who is wound a bit too tight. Good realism. Lots of good supporting actor work. Plot evolves around trying to make some big scores so they can kick back and relax. Things don't go so well.

I Love You Again {1940} William Powell, Myrna Loy.

I missed the first 1/2 hour, but is a light witty comedy for the rest of it, Old movie, but still funny.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 13th, 2018 at 1:33:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
I Love You Again {1940} William Powell, Myrna Loy.

I always wondered why so many old movies had couples that were in the process of divorcing begin reconciling. Someone pointed out the obvious answer, that within the strict rules of the Hayes code, it was easier to get the couple alone in a room if they were already married.

Myrna Loy in I Love You Again (1940)

Cary Grant and Irene Dunne in My Favorite Wife (1940)
October 13th, 2018 at 2:57:17 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yes the Hayes code was very strict. Those pre code movies about loose women and prisons and 'sleeping your way to a promotion' are fun but along came the code and actresses had to change. about the only way to make a movie about the evils of jazz, loose women, cocaine and rape was to make Reefer Madness.

Take a look at Hitchcocks ROPE. A movie about homosexuals that never once uses the word.
October 14th, 2018 at 2:45:56 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Fleastiff
Take a look at Hitchcocks ROPE. A movie about homosexuals that never once uses the word.

The "Leopold and Loeb murder" really shocked people in the day and inspired books and movies such as that one. And the murder really made a bad name for alternative sexual lifestyles. I don't doubt it set back for quite some time such things as acceptance, and progress in the area of civil rights for them. Today we don't expect gays to be more murderous than any one else, we probably expect the opposite, but when 'Rope' came out as a play in 1929 I think that was in question. Homosexuals hid their lifestyle and nobody outside it knew much about it.

The scene where the maid comes in to clean up and is within a second or two of exposing the body, with that silent build up of tension, is absolutely 100% Hitchcock at his finest
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 14th, 2018 at 5:58:38 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I just saw A Star is Born. Where to start? I will give high praise to Lady Gaga's performance, although I think she was somewhat playing herself. However, usually when you have to resort to praising the acting, it means you didn't really like the movie that much. If forced to offer some criticism, the movie was spread rather thin between many different characters and story lines. I'd have preferred more emphasis on Lady Gaga's character and less on Bradley Cooper's. Speaking of which, I never really bought that Bradly Cooper's musical performance was anything that would garner huge crowded and private jets in real life.

Still, I have no regrets. I will admit the audience applauded at the end. The average person will probably like it more than I did. I will predict it was be a big contender at the Academy Awards. On my 0 to 10 scale, I give it a generous 7.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 14th, 2018 at 7:32:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I will give high praise to Lady Gaga's performance, although I think she was somewhat playing herself.

It's difficult to imagine Lady Gaga as suffering from stage fright. But I would say that nearly every successful singer can be at least a decent actor/actress. The same can't be said about a successful model.

Quote: Wizard
Speaking of which, I never really bought that Bradly Cooper's musical performance was anything that would garner huge crowded and private jets in real life.

Jamie Foxx is arguably the most musically talented celebrity that became famous as an actor, and you never see him touring the big stages. He did make four successful albums after his breakout performance in Ray.

I think even actors are used to the carefully controlled environment where shouts of the audience is not a big issue. It's a bigger jump to go to the big arenas from film than the other way around.