What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

October 14th, 2018 at 8:03:19 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
It's difficult to imagine Lady Gaga as suffering from stage fright.

It would have been nice to have seen her before she got famous. Her Wikipedia page says she was bullied as a child for not being very attractive. Hard to believe now. Anyway, I don't claim she was exactly playing herself, but there seem to be a lot of commonalities.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 14th, 2018 at 11:54:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

Jamie Foxx is arguably the most musically talented celebrity that became famous as an actor, and you never see him touring the big stages. He did make four successful albums after his breakout performance in Ray..

Although she later did Glee performances, way back when she did this with Huey Lewis

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 14th, 2018 at 9:02:52 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
...Jamie Foxx is arguably the most musically talented celebrity that became famous as an actor, and you never see him touring the big stages. He did make four successful albums after his breakout performance in Ray...

Either Elvis or Will Smith might be more so than Mr. Foxx. Even Barbara Streisand?
October 14th, 2018 at 11:06:52 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Ayecarumba
Either Elvis

just thinking, too bad Elvis manager never got him a much more serious acting role. I think there is some evidence he had more acting range than he was ever allowed to show. Instead, he's only remembered as a lightweight.

Whereas by contrast, I thought Sinatra in dramatic roles was at best adequate but forgettable. Parts that probably would have been better served by some other actors.

Sinatra was a gem in musical and comedy though.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 14th, 2018 at 11:42:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

Whereas by contrast, I thought Sinatra in dramatic roles was at best adequate but forgettable. .

Uh Huh. That's why he won an Oscar for
From Here to Eternity, because he was
forgettable. And nominated for best
actor in Man With the Golden Arm.
Ever see either of them? They didn't
want to put him in Eternity, he was
at the low point in his career and
was a has been. He blew their socks
off in Eterntiy, it rebooted his career.
Do you know how many actors never
win an Oscar? Most of them.

He was excellent in Manchutian Candidate,
Von Ryans Express, Devil at 4 O'Clock,
Some Came Running, The Detective.
But yeah, he was good in musicals too.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2018 at 12:12:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
Uh Huh. That's why he won an Oscar for
From Here to Eternity, because he was
forgettable.

OH, so now you believe Whoopi Goldberg is a great actor because she also got an Oscar? You can't have it both ways.

Besides that, it's funny that the has-been fictional character in The Godfather who gets a part based on terrorizing the director with the horse's head is based on Sinatra.

Furthermore, an Oscar win can mean all the competition was weak that year. Or Frank's people were good at promotion or twisting arms,,

Frank Sinatra = mediocre dramatic actor.
October 15th, 2018 at 2:55:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

Furthermore, an Oscar win can mean

Your grasp on history is wanting. I don't
know where to start in wising you up.
A daunting task..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 15th, 2018 at 5:15:30 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
OH, so now you believe Whoopi Goldberg is a great actor because she also got an Oscar? You can't have it both ways.

Of course he can, he's EB. That's what he does.

And yes, he is on record bashing Whoopi and saying her Oscar doesn't signify anything.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 15th, 2018 at 5:18:01 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Bad Times at the El Royale

It's a Quentin Tarantino-wannabe type movie that takes place in the 70s where a bunch of strangers end up in a hotel outside Reno and bad/violent things ensue.

Certainly won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoyed it.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 15th, 2018 at 7:02:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Ayecarumba
Either Elvis or Will Smith might be more so than Mr. Foxx. Even Barbara Streisand?

What I said is that Jamie Foxx is arguably the most musically talented celebrity that became famous as an actor. Elvis Will Smith and Barbara Streisand became famous as singers and then went into acting,

Barbra Streisand had released 10 albums before she made a movie.
The Barbra Streisand Album (1963)
The Second Barbra Streisand Album (1963)
The Third Album (1964)
People (1964)
My Name Is Barbra (1965)
My Name Is Barbra, Two... (1965)
Color Me Barbra (1966)
Je m'appelle Barbra (1966)
Simply Streisand (1967)
A Christmas Album (1967)

About three years after he appeared on Living Color Jamie Foxx released an album (on the Fox record label) entitled Peep This, which was not commercially successful. He appeared in a few music videos, but I doubt most people knew he could sing and play piano until the movie Ray was released. He was already well known for over a decade.