What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

March 4th, 2018 at 1:02:55 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Just saw The Italian Job for the umpteenth time on cable.
Fundamentally its a good movie though it loses direction from time to time.

I just hate the hijacking scene wherein the van driver in order to save his life drives right off the top of the dam into icy water. Yes, clearly it is a good move. It is his only way to get even a slight chance of living thru the ordeal. Perhaps its even a master stroke of genius and courage, but do they really have to be so cheap in the filming that they use an obviously empty vehicle? Can't they at least put dummies in the vehicle particularly animated dummies so it looks real and the startled passengers react to what is happening.

I mean why be cheap? Its a critical scene and they are saving only a few bucks by being cheapskates.

A well planned caper and an action movie is fine but the 'action' has to sensible and it has to appear to be realistic.
March 4th, 2018 at 1:26:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
For a movie almost entirely aimed at adults over age 30, "The Post" did rather well,

But it has yet to make a profit..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 4th, 2018 at 2:13:26 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: Evenbob

EB learns the hard way that there is a large difference between "flop" and "yet to make a profit."
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 4th, 2018 at 2:39:16 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: ams288
EB learns the hard way that there is a large difference between "flop" and "yet to make a profit."
Yeah, remember Casablanca. It never really made all that much money until fake rumors about its being a cult classic were started and that it was being played on college campuses everywhere. After the rumors, the movie sure took off.

I'm sure that despite The Post's somewhat anemic title and somewhat anemic opening box office take, it will return a decent profit. Just going to take awhile.
March 4th, 2018 at 3:23:00 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Fleastiff
I'm sure that despite The Post's somewhat anemic title and somewhat anemic opening box office take, it will return a decent profit. Just going to take awhile.

From user reviews, a lot of people
found it too long and too boring
and too many preachy speeches
and too much of Streep's 'fat cow
ass.' Their words, not mine. I'll
never see it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 4th, 2018 at 3:41:00 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I'll
never see it.

I'm not sure how Steven Spielberg will recover from this devastating blow....
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 4th, 2018 at 4:15:06 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Fleastiff

I have not seen it yet but want to
Waiting for the reasonable priced stream
Looking forward to it
Hope its as good as "All the Presidents Men"
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
March 4th, 2018 at 10:08:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Stephen Follow
A movie with a $150m budget will typically set the studio back around $417m when all costs for are accounted for.

These include…
The original production budget
Marketing and advertising
The physical costs of getting the film in cinemas and on shelves
Contingent compensation for key talent
And other costs such as overhead, interests and financing costs

That same film will typically bring in $433m of revenue via…
The theatrical run (i.e. cinemas)
Home Entertainment (i.e. DVD and Blu-ray)
Television deals
Video on Demand (i.e. Netflix, iTunes, etc)
And other income streams such as hotels, airlines, merchandising and a cut of music sales.

So when we add up the money physically received from all income streams and subtract all costs, we’re left with $14.8m “profit” for this typical $150m movie. And this is this definition we’ll be using today when I talk of profit.
https://stephenfollows.com/hollywood-movies-make-a-profit/

Most of the true calculations are far too difficult to do.

While the movie "It" made 9X it's production budget from domestic box office, and 11X it's production budget in foreign box office, it is assumed that other costs are easily covered .

"Justice League" made almost as money as "It", but it is presumed to have lost hundreds of millions.

The unofficial "break-even" is traditionally when domestic box office is higher than the production budget.
"The Post" earned $80 million domestically on a $50 million budget.
March 5th, 2018 at 10:11:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I saw "The Post" yesterday.

Good, not great. Captures the fact that ordinary people can be caught in extraordinary events. And it made me want to learn more about the whole Pentagon Papers affair. Oh, I knew the gist, and also much of what was in the papers (Barbara Tuchman lays much of that out in "The March of Folly.")

It also got me thinking about different times and mores. As the saying has it, the past is a foreign country.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 5th, 2018 at 12:43:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
The most memorable thing about the Pentagon Papers was the suite taken at the NY Hilton and how so many people from the NY Times gave out cover stories but were hiding right there in midtown manhattan and not off in language school or whatever their cover story was.