What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

February 28th, 2018 at 9:03:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff
Though I think that hitman was best as a lead character in The Ronin, unless I've got my films mixed up.

No that was him. He was also in "The Da Vinci Code" and Godzilla. He's actually ethnically Spanish and only moved to France when he was age 17.

Now he is making Chinese films.
February 28th, 2018 at 11:37:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
When time travel was first introduced into movies there was no need to dwell on the paradoxes.

Finally saw the time travel movie Looper.
Great cast, the kid actor was fantastic
for a kid that young. Great acting all
round.

Too bad the writer didn't finish the
movie he started. It was like two
different movies in one. Way too
long and convoluted, too slow in
places, confusing and at the end
you end up not caring about any
of the characters.

The way they portrayed it, the future
changed by the second by what they
did in the past. The young guy scratches
a message on his arm in the past and
it shows up immediately on his future
self's arm. So the past and the future
are happening at the same time? HUH?

I'm think we might be able to travel to
the future, but never the past. And
once we get to the future, you can't
go back.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 1st, 2018 at 7:00:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Evenbob
Too bad the writer didn't finish the movie he started. It was like two different movies in one. Way too long and convoluted, too slow in places, confusing and at the end you end up not caring about any of the characters.

Rian Johnson's Looper was only his third film. He went right from Looper to be the writer and director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017), which was the most successful film of 2017.

March 1st, 2018 at 10:56:47 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Pacomartin
Rian Johnson's Looper was only his third film. He went right from Looper to be the

I realized today how stupid the premise
of the movie was. In the future the Mafia
can't dispose of a body so they send
people to the past to be killed and disposed
of? A Looper is highly paid for this?

Just kill the guy in the future and send his
body to the past. Way smarter and cheaper.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 2nd, 2018 at 4:18:12 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
“Death Wish”
A reboot of the 1970’s Charles Bronson classic vigilante justice film, that spawned a decade of sequels. Bruce Willis stars and Eli Roth directs.

The original series of Death Wish films started as a serious thriller that challenged viewers to ponder if folks taking the law into their own hands was a good thing, even if the only ones getting gunned down were bad guys. However, at some point, the tone changed to a dark comedy, with audiences enjoying creative injuries/executions of the bad guys. This film covers all that ground quickly, and does so in a very satisfying way. The violence is graphic, the story is simple. Having the main character work as a trauma surgeon instead of an architect was an interesting update. The only downside is that the trailers gave away the whole film.

If you enjoy well conceived shoot em ups, this film is for you. Bruce Willis does an excellent job bringing new life to the role. I give it nine hoodies out of ten.
March 2nd, 2018 at 4:35:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Ayecarumba
“Death Wish”
A reboot of the 1970’s Charles Bronson classic vigilante justice film, that spawned a decade of sequels.

Never got those films.

There was a short Simpson's bit in which they show an ad for Death Wish 11 or something. It shows Bronson in a hospital bed saying "Oy! I wish I was dead."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 2nd, 2018 at 4:55:32 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Ayecarumba
“Death Wish” I give it nine hoodies out of ten.
Hoods perhaps rather than hoodies.

I think there is a great benefit to ending this shoot 'em up style escapism. I recall the Parker character of Donald E. Westlake (writing as Richard Stark). Taciturn, capable, professional burglar. When betrayed he kills ruthlessly. A very intelligent man of admirable character moving amongst the Straight and Narrow as well as the professional killers and the cops. Careful planning, no foolish mistakes such as leaving a grocery receipt at the scene of a shooting. The public gets tired of movies wherein no one but the Good Guy knows how to shoot or how to fight.
March 2nd, 2018 at 5:54:21 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Hoods perhaps rather than hoodies.

I think there is a great benefit to ending this shoot 'em up style escapism. I recall the Parker character of Donald E. Westlake (writing as Richard Stark). Taciturn, capable, professional burglar. When betrayed he kills ruthlessly. A very intelligent man of admirable character moving amongst the Straight and Narrow as well as the professional killers and the cops. Careful planning, no foolish mistakes such as leaving a grocery receipt at the scene of a shooting. The public gets tired of movies wherein no one but the Good Guy knows how to shoot or how to fight.

The story is well constructed, focusing on the hero’s frustration with the justice system, sense of failure as a father and husband, and the power, both good and bad, of social media. It also includes sensible problems someone who never owned a firearm would encounter if they actually had to use a weapon. The empowerment of the common man resonates with audiences. I can understand how multiple sequels get the greenlight.
March 2nd, 2018 at 6:45:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
The public gets tired of movies wherein no one but the Good Guy knows how to shoot or how to fight.

That goes against my theory that a great writer can turn the most common premise into a masterpiece, and a bad writer cam ruin anything.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 3rd, 2018 at 4:26:39 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
That goes against my theory that a great writer can turn the most common premise into a masterpiece, and a bad writer cam ruin anything.

I agree 100% with your theory. Seen it happen so many times.

I try to see all the movies nominated for best original and adapted screenplay each year just because of that. I am rarely disappointed.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has