What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

October 15th, 2014 at 10:00:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
hasn't that been the success of Disney with Cars, Toys and the like... adults seem to enjoy them. The Lego movie was pretty enjoyable too, I went with a couple of 10 year olds as well, and they loved it too.

Specifically, I was thinking of Young Adult films. Almost no one over the age of 30 can sit through a twilight film.

You are correct that most of the good animation has stuff that adults enjoy. Disney went a little overboard with Wall-E, as the film was more appealing to adults than very young children.
October 15th, 2014 at 10:07:19 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Pacomartin
Specifically, I was thinking of Young Adult films. Almost no one over the age of 30 can sit through a twilight film.

You are correct that most of the good animation has stuff that adults enjoy. Disney went a little overboard with Wall-E, as the film was more appealing to adults than very young children.

Ahhh... I sat through the first Hunger Games. Won't bother with the rest. I do know one guy (yes, a guy) who sat through all the Twilight movies. And not because he was on a date.

Young Adult fiction appears to go much further than YA films. I quite like Young Adult fiction... the stories are often more imaginative than sci-fi and less $5 words than some novels.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 15th, 2014 at 10:38:07 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Wizard

Torches! Yay!
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 15th, 2014 at 11:42:06 AM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
We saw an indie crime film on Netflix called Blue Ruin. Short (90 minutes or so) and very taut, it tells the story of a homeless man caught up in a revenge plot. Very good.

Also, yesterday we saw Gone Girl. Whack as hell, if you ask me. Both Mrs and I liked it.
October 15th, 2014 at 3:31:14 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Ayecarumba
I haven't seen the movie, nor read the book. I did see a trailer that showed folks, well, running through a maze. I thought it would be some sort of "Twililight Zone" twist where the camera pulls back at the end to reveal that giant alien rat psychologists are conducting "Who Moved My Cheese" experiments.

I'm going to put my replies in spoiler tags, as they give away some of the movie.

Much of the beginning of the movie is everybody in the maze wondering who made it and why. The answer is given at the end of the movie, although it may have been a false answer. Thus the need for part two. I think it is safe to say the whole maze is a Twilight Zone kind of experiment.

Quote:
No girls?

A lone girl does enter the maze towards the end of the movie. It isn't explained why very deeply.

Quote:
Do the boys just wake up in the middle of the maze, and have to figure the whole thing out, or are they dropped off by helicopter, benefitting from an aerial view of the challenge?

First they erase the memory of the boys and then send them up to the maze on an elevator that begins under the maze. About a day after arriving the boys will remember their names but that is about it. None have much idea about their pre-maze life, until the last boy, who has some flashbacks to it, which he explains to the rest, which sets up a power struggle about whether to escape or stay put.

Quote:
What happens if they just stay in the middle and refuse to participate? Do the monsters come to the middle?

Before the last boy enters most are content to live in the middle of the maze and leave the the maze alone. A few boys are called "runners" who explore the maze during the day. The rest are not allowed to even enter it. The runners have a special hut with a diagram of the maze. The leader is content with this set up. However, the last boy to enter shakes things up and increases interest in escaping. Precedent had it that the monsters never came in the middle, as they are nocturnal, and the gate closes before sunset and opens after sunrise. However, that doesn't mean things can't change. I don't want to reveal too much.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 15th, 2014 at 7:18:25 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
I'm sensing a, "Lord of the Flies" vibe. Is there a fat kid everyone calls, "Piggy"?
October 15th, 2014 at 9:19:57 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
My wife and I tried to watch a movie called A Million Ways to Die in the West. Turned it off after 15 minutes. Horrible.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
October 17th, 2014 at 4:16:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Ayecarumba
I'm sensing a, "Lord of the Flies" vibe. Is there a fat kid everyone calls, "Piggy"?

One could certainly make comparisons but there was no "Piggy" character in the Maze Runner.
October 20th, 2014 at 7:57:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

There has to be an archetype of a piggy. You can't tell a story like that without having at least one slightly intellectual but athletically inferior character.
October 20th, 2014 at 9:42:00 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
There has to be an archetype of a piggy. You can't tell a story like that without having at least one slightly intellectual but athletically inferior character.

Yes, I guess you could make comparisons between Piggy and Chuck. However, Chuck was a pretty minor character. The Maze Runner was not trying to imitate Lord of the Flies.