The GoPro Thread

January 7th, 2015 at 12:08:37 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Fairly crude. Imagine where it will
be in 5 years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 7th, 2015 at 10:01:55 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin
I believe you get a more stable platform for $1300. You also get a controller that you can strap on your hand so that you can do your sport without any need to be constantly flying the device.

For $100 you might find a drone with a camera like the one in this video (flying starts after 4 minutes), but you need a controller and you have limited battery life.

Holy smokes. Didn't realize the thing just followed you by itself. And up to 45mph, too. Guess that explains the four digit price.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 7th, 2015 at 11:50:48 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Face
...What would you do with it?
This is where living is Las Vegas, the nation's #1 spot for "toptional" pools, has its advantages.
January 7th, 2015 at 1:17:24 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Holy smokes. Didn't realize the thing just followed you by itself. And up to 45mph, too. Guess that explains the four digit price.

We were doing operations in the Gulf about 20 years ago, and we had various kinds of drones. The flying ones were fixed wing drones that would be launched with a catapult type device and land in a net, the floating ones were powered by jetski engines.

Trying to land the flying ones into nets frequently did a lot of damage, and they often simply flew into the ship superstructure.

These little puppies (at 22 mph) would probably be cheap enough that you could ditch them when they finish the mission

Because the transit lanes in the Gulf only pass within 4 miles of land, you get an eyeful of the sikworms pointed at you

January 8th, 2015 at 2:02:54 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What would you do with it?

Search and Rescue
Caribbean Yachting (One guy is already doing weekly shows with a waterproof drone)
pipeline surveillance
Fish and Game surveillance
Zip line experience adventures
SWAT teams use them
Movie stars keep trespassers and paparazzi at bay.
Criminals use them to spot Pot Farms and "tax" the growers to not get reported to the cops.
Outdoor and Oceanic photography
And if you know a Mr. Millionaire who intends to take Mrs. Millionaire out to the Everglades for a fatal accident, filming it could make you rich.
January 8th, 2015 at 11:04:53 AM permalink
Face
Quote: Pacomartin
We were doing operations in the Gulf about 20 years ago, and we had various kinds of drones. The flying ones were fixed wing drones that would be launched with a catapult type device and land in a net, the floating ones were powered by jetski engines.

Trying to land the flying ones into nets frequently did a lot of damage, and they often simply flew into the ship superstructure.

These little puppies (at 22 mph) would probably be cheap enough that you could ditch them when they finish the mission

That "little puppy" is the one I mentioned that you could get "for about $400".

I've seen the drones you mentioned. I always thought they were less military aircraft and mostly just an R/C plane. I always wondered why they never weaponized them. It seems easy enough to load one up with C4, quietly and surreptitiously fly to the coast, then blow up those silkworms (or cache, or bunker, or fortification). A Predator is nice, but it's $2,000,000 for the airframe and $60,000 for each Hellfire sent. My granada valor would cost about $500 each, and is stealthy enough you could land on someone's head before they noticed it.

January 8th, 2015 at 7:36:19 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I've seen the drones you mentioned. I always thought they were less military aircraft and mostly just an R/C plane.

The ones we had (similar to below) were R/C planes.

I always wondered why they never weaponized them.

In our case the ships had civilians on board and they were reluctant to weaponize beyond some small arms. The idea was you could fight pirates, but if real military comes, you throw all the data in the super hot furnaces and give up.

The transit zones are in the left portion of the image below. The islands are claimed by Iran because the Shah took them the day after the British left in the 1970's. The Ayotollah got them along with the rest of Iran. Even though they are in what Iran claims as territorial waters, they permit Oil Tankers to pass. As far as they are concerned the lanes are off limits to US Navy, which just means the Navy does Freedom of Navigation runs as often as possible.

January 9th, 2015 at 12:54:46 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Every time I see these drones, it reminds me
of Flight of the Phoenix, where they were
devastated to learn their plane expert designed
models. Like there would be a difference in
the math.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 24th, 2015 at 5:20:07 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Video of the Week happens to be NHL

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 11th, 2015 at 9:48:06 PM permalink
Face
Damn aging. I mean, really damn it. There's still so much for me yet to do...