Random Thought of the Day

February 14th, 2016 at 11:48:59 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I've heard stories about blind people, and famous blind people like Helen Keller, but I never considered what dreams a person blind from birth might have.

If you don't know, you can look it up of course. Just thought it was interesting.

Of course, blind and deaf...there's that as well.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 15th, 2016 at 3:01:47 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
I've heard stories about blind people, and famous blind people like Helen Keller, but I never considered what dreams a person blind from birth might have.

If you don't know, you can look it up of course. Just thought it was interesting.

Of course, blind and deaf...there's that as well.

One of the things that surprised me upon learning it, is that deaf people do not typically learn English. You might think that the deaf would be voracious readers of books too. No; of course the lack of English limits that. What they learn is Sign Language, which becomes their whole world. They go to colleges like Gallaudet to learn English, which they may or may not pick up all that well there by the standards the rest of us understand. I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions to this generalization, and there are amazing stories like Keller.

Something similar may be true of the Blind. It's harder than we think to imagine ourselves in those different worlds.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 15th, 2016 at 11:40:25 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Dating to 100 BC. Windows or Mac?

Mac.

The aristocracy has to have what's most expensive, always.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
February 18th, 2016 at 5:27:25 AM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
I just noticed that the left and right half of the forum post separator bar, the one with the date and the permalink on it, and the bar that says "the post that you are replying to" are misaligned vertically by at least one pixel.

I'm using the Opera mini-browser on an iPod touch, with the "classic brown" theme.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 19th, 2016 at 8:34:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
A busman’s holiday is a vacation during which a person engages in the same sort of activity that he does at work.

In some cases that would be an alternate description of some kind of Hell.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 22nd, 2016 at 1:42:05 AM permalink
rxwine
Lifelock.

Have you seen their commercials? When I first moved from Vegas, I had some good reasons to worry about ID theft, so I decided to sign up in Florida.
First six months, I got charges on my Debit and 1 credit card. First time ever. This is of course after I sign up. It's like I gave them the info and then got robbed. Made me suspicious.

So I read up on them and decided to cancel after researching. They had some shady beginnings I didn't even know about. But anyway, received a class action suit against them today. Here's part of it.

Quote:
WHAT IS THIS CASE ABOUT? A proposed Settlement has been reached in the nationwide class action lawsuit, Ebarle, et al. v. LifeLock, Inc., Case. No. 3:15-CV-00258 (HSG) ("Lawsuit"). This Lawsuit challenges representations LifeLock made, which generally fall into four categories: (1) LifeLock's promise to provide "comprehensive" services in detecting fraud; (2) LifeLock's promise to provide timely and continuous alerts of potential fraud 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year; (3) LifeLock's promise regarding its information security program; and (4) LifeLock's promise to provide a "$1 Million Total Service Guarantee." LifeLock denies all allegations or that it did anything wrong. Under the proposed Settlement, LifeLock has agreed to pay $68 million to a Settlement fund.
February 22nd, 2016 at 6:54:18 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Nareed
Even better, a poll asked "What emotion does the Pope's visit make you feel?"

"Peace" was the highest placed, with about 38%

In second place was "Indifference" with 23%

there may be hope yet...

I was going to follow this up by an account of how empty the Zocalo was when the pope visited, but that would be cherry-picking the data and misrepresenting the situation, not to mention falling for a misleading headline.

So here's what happened:

1) The event, as is common for Mex City, was poorly organized. For example, no one publicized the fact that admission was free (!) For other appearances tickets were required, but not for this one.

2) Also as usual, the security mentality was on full display, and these things just get me angry regardless of the objective. "Security" in Mex City means banning common objects because "people may throw them at the stage." Really, I'm serious.

People who had dangerous objects like parasols, folding stools (try standing for hours at a crowded public square), pens, pencils, blankets, magazines, newspapers, plastic cups, etc, either had to throw them away or forfeit their chance to see the pope. And none of this was publicized beforehand either.

Now, I know what the pope is worth, and it's not much. But for these people it's important, or meaningful, or relevant, and their disappointment won't hurt them any less because it's based on a delusion.
February 23rd, 2016 at 10:21:32 AM permalink
Nareed
If I imagine an experiment that proves the validity of String Theory, have I committed physics in my heart?
February 23rd, 2016 at 11:54:28 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yeah, originally they promised alot and did very little. The million is the amount they might SPEND to investigate a case, but not an amount they might ever AWARD a damaged client. They made alot of money, spent some if it polishing their halo and settled the lawsuit with a fund that lets them escape from any real liability.
February 23rd, 2016 at 5:00:32 PM permalink
Nareed
Using the Socratic method in the internet age lets you understand why the Athenians wanted him dead.