Random Thought of the Day

January 13th, 2016 at 5:40:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Anterian mythology 101:

Vash: Mother Goddess and Teacher. Born of the waters. Symbolized by a piece of turquoise in the shape of a wave

Malek: Father God and Teacher. Born of the earth. Symbolized by a piece of amber shaped like a dune

Sryngher: Generic deity, known for placing obstacles on humanity's path. Born of the air, has no symbol.

The Other: Generic deity, known for bringing disasters on humanity. Born of fire. Symbolized by precious stones or metals shaped like flames.

Essentially Vash and Malek taught people how to farm, to keep livestock for food and work, to make stone tools. Then they left the planet to teach others. They are not ever expected to return.

Sryngher and The Other remain to get in the way of human progress. People pray to them for relief from their actions, and to plead for obstacles or misfortune to fall on their enemies.

By the time of K'alvan the Great (YM 6250), coinciding with the rise of science and the consequent technological innovation, the cults of Sryngher and The Other declined sharply. Temples to Vash and Malek were set up instead. Not to pray or worship them, but to meditate and study. Blue and brown pendants symbolizing them became common as personal adornments.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 14th, 2016 at 7:12:19 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Waking up is much harder on days that I have to go to work than on days where I have no agenda.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 14th, 2016 at 7:19:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
Waking up is much harder on days that I have to go to work than on days where I have no agenda.

My brain's like that. On those rare, rare times I get 8 hours sleep, it's hell to get up when the alarm goes off. But on weekends, I'm up before my suual time, even if I went to bed later than normal.

Then typically I need a nap in the afternoon, which breaks up the day.
January 16th, 2016 at 7:31:29 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
King Kong's romantic notions were pretty weird. Like being interested in an ant.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 17th, 2016 at 8:16:02 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: rxwine
King Kong's romantic notions were pretty weird. Like being interested in an ant.

Hahahaha. Yeah. I look at some cross-bred dog breeds these days and wonder how the heck they managed that.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
January 18th, 2016 at 11:13:06 PM permalink
rxwine
I'm watching an old movie about trying to build a trans-Atlantic tunnel under the ocean from London to New York.

Talk about a project. Imagine the cost. Imagine the cost overruns. Imagine the futility.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2016 at 6:56:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: rxwine
I'm watching an old movie about trying to build a trans-Atlantic tunnel under the ocean from London to New York.

Talk about a project. Imagine the cost. Imagine the cost overruns. Imagine the futility.

Imagine the pressures!

Yeah, a floating tunnel makes much more sense.

What's the movie's name?
January 19th, 2016 at 8:38:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Nareed
Imagine the pressures!

Yeah, a floating tunnel makes much more sense.

What's the movie's name?

I should give you three guesses! But here's the link!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027131/
January 19th, 2016 at 9:40:13 AM permalink
Nareed
Thanks! I'll look it up

The pressure at the bottom of the Atlantic must be incredible. Trying to keep a tunnel open underground with that much pressure on top strikes me as impossible.
January 19th, 2016 at 11:24:01 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's on Youtube. It's a classic example of Brit
scifi, and has to be watched that way. It was
state of the art 80 years ago and pretty
laughable today. They have TV's, which were
introduced at the 1933 Worlds Fair. And cool
futuristic cars. Here's the trailer and the full
movie:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.