Random Thought of the Day

December 14th, 2013 at 6:25:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 15th, 2013 at 11:10:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Genocide.
December 17th, 2013 at 12:43:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Fleastiff
Genocide.

Millions of tiny screams.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
December 18th, 2013 at 4:20:58 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
Millions of tiny screams.
Yes.
December 19th, 2013 at 10:00:17 PM permalink
rxwine
I love weekly world news covers.

December 23rd, 2013 at 12:15:21 PM permalink
rxwine
Big quote:

Quote:
This is a recurring sketch always predicated on an unrelated sketch in which one character expresses irritation at being questioned by another, retorting in exasperation, "I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition!" At this point, the Inquisition — consisting of Cardinal Ximénez (Michael Palin), and his assistants Cardinal Biggles (Terry Jones), and Cardinal Fang (Terry Gilliam) — burst into the room to the sound of a jarring musical sting. Ximénez shouts, with a particular and high-pitched emphasis on the first syllable: "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"

After entering, the Inquisition trio frequently get bogged down in recitations. In their first appearance, for example, Ximénez has trouble with listing their weapons ("Amongst our weaponry are such diverse elements as fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope, and nice red uniforms—oh damn!") Ximénez states the number of weapons they have ("Our two/three/four weapons are..."), then lists one more than he had counted, before starting over using a higher number. After several attempts, Ximénez states that he'll come in again, and herds the Inquisition back off the set. The straight man delivers the cue line again, and the Inquisition re-bursts in (complete with jarring chord), and the introduction is tried again. This is repeated two or three times before Ximénez relents, skipping the recitation and continuing further into Inquisition activity.

Ximénez repeatedly runs into the problem of not being able to torture anyone effectively. When he calls for "the rack", Cardinal Biggles produces a dish-drying rack. When poking the victim with soft cushions produces no confession, Ximénez inquires whether his assistants had got all the stuffing together into one end of the cushions, for supposed maximum effectiveness. Failing that, Ximénez forces the victim to sit in the "comfy chair", and states that the victim will get "only a cup of coffee at 11" o'clock and makes the torture "worse by shouting a lot".[1]

At the very end of the show, in "Court Charades", the Inquisitors are caught by surprise when a defendant (who is also a judge from another court) in session at the Old Bailey says: "Blimey, I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!" The whole court rises and looks expectantly at the witness entrance door, obviously expecting the Spanish Inquisition to appear. As the closing credits roll the Inquisitors race to the Old Bailey by double-decker bus, to the tune of "Devil's Galop", only to arrive just as the words "THE END" appear. Ximénez has just enough time to say, breathlessly, "NO-body expects the Spa... oh, bugger." before the episode ends.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spanish_Inquisition_(Monty_Python)
December 24th, 2013 at 1:53:50 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
A reader, Mr. Green from Ontario, sent in a comment to Atlantic Magazine that's pretty good,

[not in front of me at the moment to quote exactly] He was responding to an article about the greatest inventions over time, and commented something to the effect that "The axle should have been included. The wheel without the axle also being invented would have kept it a novelty. "

Maybe that is what the Aztecs etc. just couldnt take the next step to realizing.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 3rd, 2014 at 7:59:51 PM permalink
rxwine
If I could fund a think tank, I'd fill it with partisans from the left and the right, and the only data they could publish would be something they all agreed to.

It might not produce much.
January 3rd, 2014 at 8:54:45 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: rxwine
It might not produce much.
But then again, there is not much need for pablum.
January 5th, 2014 at 7:13:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Lots of random clips in this video. And some rage.