Random Thought of the Day

February 7th, 2020 at 11:47:42 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
odiousgambit: You and Louis Armstrong are right. Though I do stand by my use of the word 'treason' in relation to LBJ and McNamara.
February 15th, 2020 at 7:02:40 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Pelican is unpleasantly fishy. Not in the sense of "Oh, this tastes like fish" but in the sense of "Oh, this tastes like fish that's been left out too long and shouldn't have been eaten."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 20th, 2020 at 10:16:50 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Todays date, 2/20/2020. Pretty neat
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 20th, 2020 at 10:18:22 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
The new Hot-N-Spicy Chicken McGriddle is not my favorite sandwich.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
February 20th, 2020 at 2:57:24 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I can't stop laughing. Best friend lives in NC, whole state is closed due to possibility of dusting to 2" this eve. He oft regales me with tales of how the simple presence of ice is a national emergency, and flakes are a sign of the end times.

Refusing to believe such absurdity, I ask him how hard it is to sand and salt. He says he saw a "salt truck" exactly once; it was literally a guy in the back of a pickup with a shovel. No joke. Pushing further he tried to defend, stating the obvious that with no regularity, the acquisition of such machinery would be a huge waste. A good point, except...

YOUR WHOLE F#$%ING TOWN IS MADE OF SALT AND SAND GD IT!

How in all of the worlds can't you take one of the myriad dump trucks and just fill them with the ground you walk on? And then...ya know... don't lock the gate? Or maybe, I dunno, just dump a pile in town's biggest intersection, and have the populace track it around? Or you know those hundreds of flood remediation vehicles? Maybe grab a pump truck, fill it, and crack the spigot just enough to leak? You can salt the entire coast for just the cost of diesel driving around, every single material is literally free on the ground. But nope. Can't get it done.

This is why y'all lost the war XD
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 20th, 2020 at 7:39:47 PM permalink
DRich
Quote: Face

This is why y'all lost the war XD

They may have lost the war, but they won life. They rarely have to deal with snow and ice. That is a win. I know I laugh at the people every time I see a snow storm on TV. I spent my first 22 years dealing with it and can't imagine why anyone would continue to live with it. They say southerners are slow and not smart, I think anyone that lives in the cold is foolish.
February 20th, 2020 at 10:40:47 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: DRich
They may have lost the war, but they won life. They rarely have to deal with snow and ice. That is a win. I know I laugh at the people every time I see a snow storm on TV. I spent my first 22 years dealing with it and can't imagine why anyone would continue to live with it. They say southerners are slow and not smart, I think anyone that lives in the cold is foolish.

You are probably right since many of us are so foolish we enjoy winter. I couldn't stand to live somewhere without 4 seasons. But to each their own, although that idea appears to be disappearing. If someone doesn't think like you or like the same politicians as you then you should hate them.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 21st, 2020 at 8:22:26 AM permalink
DRich
Quote: kenarman
You are probably right since many of us are so foolish we enjoy winter. I couldn't stand to live somewhere without 4 seasons. But to each their own, although that idea appears to be disappearing. If someone doesn't think like you or like the same politicians as you then you should hate them.

Exactly, anyone who doesn't think like me is clearly wrong. It doesn't make me hate them, it is more like disdain.
February 21st, 2020 at 9:22:33 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
They say southerners are slow and not smart, I think anyone that lives in the cold is foolish.

Lol, too soon to make Civil War jokes?

I don't think southerners are stupid. Bureaucracy is. My town suffers cataclysmic floods twice a decade. No doubt we are dependent on the federal teat for remediation, but the first work is almost entirely local. We don't wait for the National Guard, we're a farm and asphalt community. It's was our dynamite (pre 9/11) that blew up the ice jam, our excavator pulling trees out of the crick, our front loaders and dumps clearing mud out the streets. All this s#$% is right here, why not use it?

That's what's "funny". They're literally made of what they need, but whoop, can't get it done.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 21st, 2020 at 9:50:17 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If one person tells you, you have a tail, you laugh and think they’re crazy. If three people tell you, you turn around and look.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?