Killing Him Softly

Page 4 of 6<123456>
January 26th, 2024 at 2:50:03 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: odiousgambit
If I was a murderer that got caught, and knew that the evidence was strong and appeals would go nowhere, I'd prefer being sentenced to death rather than getting life in prison. It's not even close.

Of course.

And……. To me, the PERFECT definition of cruel and unusual punishment is being in jail for a life sentence if you are actually innocent. It would be torture every waking moment.

There are also many examples of prisoners sentenced to death not using appeals to get the sentence changed to life without parole.
January 27th, 2024 at 4:04:42 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I think there's an easy way to test nitrogen gas execution. Slaughter house, or other activities where animals are going to end up as food anyway.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2024 at 6:20:02 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
I think there's an easy way to test nitrogen gas execution. Slaughter house, or other activities where animals are going to end up as food anyway.

I still don't think that would fix the one thing that makes us different from other mammals--the condemned will know when the punishment is about to commence and (whether the gas is flowing or not) will attempt to hold their breath for as long as possible. That will lead to struggling for an uncomfortable stretch before breathing the gas.

Our process of starting executions takes a long time...a British hangman would place the noose on as the condemned reached the gallows and they would be dropped within seconds. The walking into the chamber, strapdown, and other activities take time. That may be the cruel and unusual part of it...but none of us has been executed, so it is hard to know...
January 27th, 2024 at 6:49:59 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0

Slaughterhouses and veterinarians refuse to use nitrogen asphyxiation as being too cruel to the animal.
January 27th, 2024 at 6:55:35 AM permalink
rxwine
Will I'd vote for a 2 ton steel slab to drop on a blindfolded convict strapped to a concrete floor. Pretty sure you can do it silently.

People are squeamish. But if we're going to have the death penalty, I think it should be filmed so anyone can watch it. Not going to force it on anyone, just make it available. That's all that I think is required, so you don't have to take anyone's word about any of it.

Also, they should put a sensitive microphone under the mask with these new executions. You'd either hear breathing or know when they were holding their breath.

Either have a death penalty, that's not half-assed, or none at all.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 27th, 2024 at 6:58:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: GenoDRPh
Slaughterhouses and veterinarians refuse to use nitrogen asphyxiation as being too cruel to the animal.

People have sense enough to use drugs in animals for euthanasia. Can't say much about the slaughterhouse method. Hanging cows up by their legs seems pretty cruel to me for all the methods I've seen used.
January 27th, 2024 at 7:23:23 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
People have sense enough to use drugs in animals for euthanasia. Can't say much about the slaughterhouse method. Hanging cows up by their legs seems pretty cruel to me for all the methods I've seen used.

As far as I've seen, cows and pigs are stunned to unconsciousness, then trussed up, then the slaughterman slits the throat to bleed out. Indeed Federal law requires that, among other requirements, that livestock be rendered insensible to pain by a rapid and effective means prior to slaughter. Who hangs a cow by their legs while fully conscious?

Rats, mice and rodents get euthanized by carbon dioxide. This especially useful when these animals are raised for slaughter and used as frozen food for snakes, for example.
January 27th, 2024 at 7:29:06 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
source?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 27th, 2024 at 7:31:54 AM permalink
rxwine
As far as I've seen, cows and pigs are stunned to unconsciousness, then trussed up, then the slaughterman slits the throat to bleed out. Indeed Federal law requires that, among other requirements, that livestock be rendered insensible to pain by a rapid and effective means prior to slaughter. Who hangs a cow by their legs while fully conscious?

Rats, mice and rodents get euthanized by carbon dioxide. This especially useful when these animals are raised for slaughter and used as frozen food for snakes, for example.

Probably not done any longer, but it was a film (an actual film, not video) I saw years ago. A whole row of cows, raised by their back legs and a guy walked along the row slitting their throats.
January 27th, 2024 at 7:39:25 AM permalink
rxwine
...oh and should mention, the cows were shown standing there, and then hoisted up.
Page 4 of 6<123456>