Killing Him Softly

Page 3 of 6<123456>
January 26th, 2024 at 4:53:10 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
You know, that makes me wonder if that inmate had been practicing, the training deep divers without equipment practice to go down for long times. He requested that type of execution, which is one reason they did it. Maybe he thought if he could foil another execution method, his death sentence would be commuted to life. "hey, I'm still here!" when they take off the mask. Too bad for him, they just left it on and foiled that plan if he did.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 26th, 2024 at 6:11:44 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Eyewitness account of the event:

https://www.aol.com/eyewitness-account-first-us-nitrogen-063016797.html

I do not believe any official of the state of Alabama that said he held his breath. They have proven themselves to be untrustworthy.
January 26th, 2024 at 6:31:50 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: GenoDRPh
Eyewitness account of the event:

https://www.aol.com/eyewitness-account-first-us-nitrogen-063016797.html

I do not believe any official of the state of Alabama that said he held his breath. They have proven themselves to be untrustworthy.

Well, I withhold judgement on that. If there are more of these types of executions, we'll either see similar results or not. If someone appears to go under fairly quickly, then it would appear that someone might not be inhaling the gas right away if they remain conscious.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 26th, 2024 at 6:38:49 AM permalink
rxwine
It's quite possible someone already weak with an illness, or old in age, may not convulse from hypoxia, whereas a younger healthy person might. Maybe everyone would convulse if they were stronger?
January 26th, 2024 at 7:21:28 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
I guess I’m the ‘expert’ here.

My personal take…. First, I am FOR the death penalty. But to me, the ANTICIPATION of the final act (hanging, firing squad, lethal injection, guillotine, nitrogen asphyxiation, etc…) is what may be deemed ‘cruel and unusual’. Not the actual act. To me, I feel that the method is really unimportant.

As far as this method, the problem is getting a proper seal on the mask. It is relatively easy if the person is not resisting, but if the person is resisting, it’s not so easy. I’ve had to put hundreds (maybe thousands?) of patients to sleep via mask when for one reason or another they didn’t have an IV. It sounds like the murderer was resisting as much as he could.

The issue to me is ‘should we have a death penalty’ and not ‘if we do, how do we do it’.

As best I could tell, the murderer even till the end was expressing self pity, and not remorse. Good riddance.
January 26th, 2024 at 7:45:36 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: SOOPOO

My personal take…. First, I am FOR the death penalty. But to me, the ANTICIPATION of the final act (hanging, firing squad, lethal injection, guillotine, nitrogen asphyxiation, etc…) is what may be deemed ‘cruel and unusual’. Not the actual act. To me, I feel that the method is really unimportant.

As far as this method, the problem is getting a proper seal on the mask. It is relatively easy if the person is not resisting, but if the person is resisting, it’s not so easy. I’ve had to put hundreds (maybe thousands?) of patients to sleep via mask when for one reason or another they didn’t have an IV. It sounds like the murderer was resisting as much as he could.

The issue to me is ‘should we have a death penalty’ and not ‘if we do, how do we do it’.

As best I could tell, the murderer even till the end was expressing self pity, and not remorse. Good riddance.

Also, if someone is expressing remorse, they need to do it long before the execution.

Among my objections to the death penalty. It's more expensive than life sentences because of all the appeals. Though I would never end the appeal process. And of course, every time they get a conviction wrong and free someone who didn't commit the crime, well, there's a reasonable possiblity we've executed innocent people.

And as to the unfairness of who ends up on death row. If we can't fix that, let's at least execute unfairly as many white privileged people as minorities'. (where's Duffman so he can point out my white racism against my own race. He's falling down on his job_)
January 26th, 2024 at 7:49:23 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: SOOPOO

I will defer to your expertise on the putting patients to sleep part, but impartial eyewitness accounts do not mention the condemned resisting.

It is the actual act that is the cruel and unusual part. Lots of case law about what cruel and unusual means, what is allowed and what isn't. The method is very important, as the means matters.
January 26th, 2024 at 8:37:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Back in the day, when they thought of cruel and unusual, I would imagine executions like drawing and quartering and other things were probably more in their mind. They might actually laugh at not getting an IV in the arm as "cruel and unusual".

I keep telling people, morality is relative. But few believe me. (actually, first time I remember saying it)
January 26th, 2024 at 9:19:20 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
If I was a murderer that got caught, and knew that the evidence was strong and appeals would go nowhere, I'd prefer being sentenced to death rather than getting life in prison. It's not even close.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 26th, 2024 at 1:39:53 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: odiousgambit
If I was a murderer that got caught, and knew that the evidence was strong and appeals would go nowhere, I'd prefer being sentenced to death rather than getting life in prison. It's not even close.

At least with life in prison, there's always a chance of conviction being overturned, clemency, compassionate release or even a jail break, The Hot Shot is a one way trip.
Page 3 of 6<123456>