Killing Him Softly

Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »
January 25th, 2024 at 7:01:50 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
If the founders had used the 5 second rule, it'd be much easier. Everything you use to kill someone under 5 seconds is not cruel and unusual. It' only ruled a mistake if the person survives to live even as a coma patient. So you could use multiple methods at the same time.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 25th, 2024 at 7:21:28 AM permalink
rxwine
I actually don't know why the Super Max prison in Colorado has never been ruled unconstitutional. Almost total isolation.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 25th, 2024 at 9:06:47 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
Quote: rxwine
It's simple 100% nitrogen gas. About the only thing that can go wrong is no gas, or wrong gas. Pump enough gas in will create positive pressure even if a leaky mask.

I thought he was suppose to be executed last night.

Isn't his death warrant good for 30 hours?
January 25th, 2024 at 7:18:35 PM permalink
rxwine
Sounds like they let him know when the gas started or changed which is stupid. So, he held his breath.

Had they quickly switched from room air, to the nitrogen, I think it's likely he would have gone unconscious. Instead, they watched him struggle while he held his breath. Now, I wouldn't be surprised if there will be claims of suffering.

Nitrogen doesn't have an odor so he probably wouldn't detect the change.
January 25th, 2024 at 8:21:33 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
"...for two minutes he 'shook and writhed on a gurney.'”

Cruel and unusual?
January 26th, 2024 at 3:06:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
clearly they could come up with something where he didn't know when the gas would be turned on, however I think the law probably prohibits that

after thinking about it some more, a gas *chamber* like they've had before is probably the way I'd want to do it. The nitrogen % could be increased slowly, and the result would be very humane. There'd be no point in trying to hold your breath, since you wouldn't know when to do it. This idea would never fly, though, it would be considered illegal. The law is an ass.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 26th, 2024 at 4:09:45 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: odiousgambit
clearly they could come up with something where he didn't know when the gas would be turned on, however I think the law probably prohibits that

after thinking about it some more, a gas *chamber* like they've had before is probably the way I'd want to do it. The nitrogen % could be increased slowly, and the result would be very humane. There'd be no point in trying to hold your breath, since you wouldn't know when to do it. This idea would never fly, though, it would be considered illegal. The law is an ass.

I don't know if a slow increase would work like you want. Someone might be able to detect something is beginning to not to feel right, and react or panic. Since they are letting these people remain fully alert with no sedation, options are pretty limited.
January 26th, 2024 at 4:41:36 AM permalink
rxwine
I've had general anesthesia a couple time, (last time when I had broken arm and shoulder fixed sliding hard into the road on a motorcycle) and I try to see if I can stay awake as a long as possible through sheer will power. Always fail fairly fast.

General anesthesia is nothing like sleep, IMO. It's like blacking out into nothingness and waking up with only knowledge that time has passed, but no sense of it at all.
January 26th, 2024 at 4:45:45 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: rxwine
I don't know if a slow increase would work like you want. Someone might be able to detect something is beginning to not to feel right, and react or panic. Since they are letting these people remain fully alert with no sedation, options are pretty limited.

going by this

Quote: link
According to the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, in humans, "breathing an oxygen deficient atmosphere can have serious and immediate effects, including unconsciousness after only one or two breaths. The exposed person has no warning and cannot sense that the oxygen level is too low."
emphasis added
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inert_gas_asphyxiation
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 26th, 2024 at 4:53:06 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: missedhervee
"...for two minutes he 'shook and writhed on a gurney.'”

Cruel and unusual?

He was "cruel and unusual" to himself. That is the problem with gas executions--the condemned can voluntarily hold their breath as long as possible. That isn't an issue in most other forms of execution.

He didn't want them to try the lethal injection again due to the vein issues the first time. He said do it the other way they had available. They did. Then he sued to stop that.

His victim got no choice in her manner of death. She didn't get years and years to try and prevent it.

I am not a huge fan of the death penalty. I think it is done at huge costs and I am not sure it is that much of a deterrent to others. The ones who are convicted and normally would get death can serve life without parole. You hardly hear anything about those people...the just rot away in jail. Sure, they still appeal but there is not much attention paid to it.
Page 2 of 6<12345>Last »