Stinker of the House

Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>
March 22nd, 2024 at 1:25:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: GenoDRPh
Assuming all the Dems vote to vacate, all she needs is 7 (6+1). Currenttly sitting at 219-213 majority. She may not even have that many.

I wonder if this has caused this other GOP member to resign this week. Just announced today. Wasn’t planned this early.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 22nd, 2024 at 2:13:18 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: rxwine
I wonder if this has caused this other GOP member to resign this week. Just announced today. Wasn’t planned this early.

Resigning early is wimping out. Represent your constituents. Don't run for reelection.

Don't resign to line up a cushy civilian job and, if eligible, collect a nice fat pension.

I have no problem with any member who completes their term without running again. More should do that.
March 22nd, 2024 at 2:53:42 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I have seen a couple of House Democrats say they will not support ousting Mike Johnson as Speaker.

(Most Dems like having an untalented backbencher running the show for the GOP).
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
March 22nd, 2024 at 3:43:12 PM permalink
rxwine
I still suspect MTG might be taking orders from the Orange godfather because Johnson wouldn't do some nefarious deed to help a Donald out. Probably something that would be so obvious and humiliating, he just couldn't lower himself to that level.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 22nd, 2024 at 3:52:17 PM permalink
rxwine
Johnson seems a bit like Pence. He only will go so far to support the Don then his religious moral compass finally overrides it.
March 25th, 2024 at 3:38:32 AM permalink
RonC
I still suspect MTG might be taking orders from the Orange godfather because Johnson wouldn't do some nefarious deed to help a Donald out. Probably something that would be so obvious and humiliating, he just couldn't lower himself to that level.

She can't be an idiot on her own?

Maybe not.

I just don't think everything is a conspiracy...Taylor Swift, the Royal Family, MTG, JFK, Aliens, etc. Some things are, of course, but I usually look first at who is talking. MTG, and several other members of Congress, seem willing to blow up their own party regardless of consequence. I don't know how much outside influence they need to be idiots.

In an election year where the incumbent President has a zillion dollars but no coherent message that resonates so far with the voter and is using "Trump" as his campaign strategy, the thought of firing another Speaker seems like a blatant attempt to really screw things up to get more headlines and, if she moves it forward, to put the inability of Republicans to control their caucus in full display in the months right before the election.

If Trump would happen to win, which I still see as less than a 50/50 deal, how do you get anything through Congress if you don't keep/win at least one of the bodies, if not both?
March 25th, 2024 at 5:01:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC
She can't be an idiot on her own?

Maybe not.

I just don't think everything is a conspiracy...Taylor Swift, the Royal Family, MTG, JFK, Aliens, etc. Some things are, of course, but I usually look first at who is talking. MTG, and several other members of Congress, seem willing to blow up their own party regardless of consequence. I don't know how much outside influence they need to be idiots.

In an election year where the incumbent President has a zillion dollars but no coherent message that resonates so far with the voter and is using "Trump" as his campaign strategy, the thought of firing another Speaker seems like a blatant attempt to really screw things up to get more headlines and, if she moves it forward, to put the inability of Republicans to control their caucus in full display in the months right before the election.

If Trump would happen to win, which I still see as less than a 50/50 deal, how do you get anything through Congress if you don't keep/win at least one of the bodies, if not both?

It's not a conspiracy; it's a suggestion of motive. "The election is rigged" for Biden is a conspiracy, "I believe the election may be rigged is not.
March 25th, 2024 at 10:51:29 AM permalink
RonC
It's not a conspiracy; it's a suggestion of motive. "The election is rigged" for Biden is a conspiracy, "I believe the election may be rigged is not.

Sure it could be...she might be part of a conspiracy to take the Speaker out that she has secretly worked on with Big Orange.

But, okay...
March 25th, 2024 at 11:10:27 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote: RonC

Sure it could be...she might be part of a conspiracy to take the Speaker out that she has secretly worked on with Big Orange.

But, okay...

It’s not too hard for me to suspect Trump might have gone as far as asking Mike Johnson to make a personal request as Speaker to all the GOP in the House to ask for donations from their particular constituents for Trump’s funds. And Trump wanted it to be Mike’s idea. Mike couldn’t conceive of groveling to that level.

No evidence at all though.
March 25th, 2024 at 4:51:01 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: ams288
I have seen a couple of House Democrats say they will not support ousting Mike Johnson as Speaker.

Newest member Suozzi who replaced Santos has said he will not vote to oust the Speaker. Paraphrasing, he said, ‘why should I, he did his job?’ Too bad there might not be enough other reasonable Democrats (reasonable Democrats an oxymoron?) to neutralize the imbecile far right Republicans.

I wonder if Suozzi has been ‘backroomed’ by Jeffries yet?
Page 12 of 14« First<91011121314>